Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-05-2017, 08:47 PM   #1
Nox
I've made a post!

Drives: will think about it...
Question Alternator give up 15 secs after startup

I'm experiencing a weird problem with the alternator of my 2006 Yaris (French version with the Bosch 0124225052 80A alternator).
It works for 15 seconds after starting the engine, then (the regulator?) cut the output and the car continues to run on the battery alone.
During these 15 seconds the alternator seems to work just fine and is capable of outputting up to about 50 amps while idling and up to its maximum rated current when revved up a little.
While driving around, sometime the battery warning light stays off and sometime blinks between 2 light levels every 10 seconds or so, like high-low-high-low-high-low - "off 10secs" and repeat, which I find strange because warning light usually don't blink like that, when there is a problem they just stay on.

Now, I don't know which kind of checks (if any) are performed on the alternator output by its regulator or by the ECU but so far everything I checked is fine: the current is strong, voltage is normal and I don't see any AC component that may suggest one of the diodes is blown.
Tomorrow I'll try to hook it up to the oscilloscope to see if there's anything the multimeter isn't showing to me.

Anybody got an idea on what could be or what else could I check?
Any thoughts?
Nox is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternator, bosch, problem