Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-11-2015, 09:37 PM   #55
Ben_

Drives: 2010 Yaris Hatch
Yaris and crown Vic..... Hard to think of better opposites in commuter cars
Ben_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 07:50 AM   #56
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2009Toyotoad View Post
In as few words as possible the Yaris will not meet your needs based on the requirements listed. My suggested alternative would be and 05 thru 09 Ford Crown Vic or Mercury Grand Marquis. All the safety of a Yaris, "As good as" mileage with the load requirements listed, and they are abundant as police fleets are retiring them in large quantities.
Absolutely meaningless post.
Old 06-12-2015, 05:26 PM   #57
aspro

Drives: 2011 Yaris RS 5 door 5 spd
I think it has met his needs. And the crown vic will never maintain Similar fuel ecoconomy to the Yaris. Although I would imagine the crown vic would be hella comfy to crush miles in. A better alternative comparison to the Yaris as far as a size upgrade goes to "similar" fuel economy would be a Toyota matrix or Nissan versa hatch. I don't know where you came up with a crown vic as a similar comparison. And police package Vics are beat to sh*t. Wouldn't want to take my chances on a long trip with something that has seen hard, wreckless miles.

TRD sway bar, h&r coilovers, tanabe strut tower bar, konig feather, bfg sport comp 2, MI intake manifold, aem cai, dc header, trd catback, MI crank pulley, trd short shift kit, phillips hid kit, morimoto led fogs, parrot navi indash, alpine 6.5 speakers, alpine amp, alpine reverse camera, led interior lights, thule roof racks, netz badges...
aspro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 02:29 PM   #58
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspro View Post
I don't know where you came up with a crown vic as a similar comparison.
I think he was trying to convey his belief that, when fully loaded with passengers and gear, the Yaris f/e would suffer to the point of being equal to the crown vic hauling the same stuff.

It's all mute anyway. OP has purchased and OP is happy (and that is all that matters ).
Old 06-13-2015, 03:28 PM   #59
CLuchs

Drives: 2008 3 door HB
Op has driven crown vics. Haha. They're actually dog slow and yes, I did manage a trip out to a watering hole with 9 people in the car, but it broke something new every other day. Nothing big until the headgasket, but it hasn't nickel and dimed me and for an exterior cargo carrier me and my girlfriend can take our 320 mile trip to Maryland for (at my current average) 22 dollars. Can't beat that. Drove a Vic to Maryland once and it cost us 85. And that was driving it easy. Haha, I think I can manipulate space well enough to make it work just fine and in the mean time it's not too shabby on comfort and it gets amazing gas mileage and feels tight as a drum even in its old age
CLuchs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 10:28 AM   #60
TL2010

Drives: 2010 Yaris hatchback
Hey WeeYari, wonder if you could share the model of your rear cargo rack. I'm contemplating following your lead.

I'm down to two contenders:

http://www.rolaproducts.com/products...5GuWt9hbMy3S8=

http://www.rolaproducts.com/products...skMPmiXI7xMmEQ

I'm debating whether the riser shank on the latter would be a benefit or a curse. Your rack appears to have plenty of ground clearance even when loaded, so curious to get your advice.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
Not all '08 have a 60/40. You need to go to the 'S' trim level to find that.

I annually have to make a 1,000 mile trek to see the in-laws with 3 in the car and luggage for 2 weeks. For an investment of ~$250, this helps immensely.

I used to do the journey in a minivan. First year using the Yaris with the hitch basket, the savings in fuel paid for the basket.

TL2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 11:27 AM   #61
CLuchs

Drives: 2008 3 door HB
So I did it! First trip to Maryland with a tent , a mini foam mattress, a weeks worth of food, all our stuff, and equipment for crab fishing. Car was tight as a drum the whole time and even packed full I could see out the rear window. There was a noticeable drop in acceleration from the extra weight but it was by no means dangerous and I got used to it quickly. Got it back and she's all cleaned up,and the whole trip (1100 miles) cost me about 70 bucks and that's wig 2 tanks in Maryland where gas is expensive as hell. I calculated what it would've cost in my mates Lincoln continental (He used to rag me about the yaris) and it would've been almost 300 dollars haha.
CLuchs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 06:34 PM   #62
LeetViet

Drives: 07 Yaris 4DR
Which foam mattress did you bring?
LeetViet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 08:15 PM   #63
Ben_

Drives: 2010 Yaris Hatch
Glad it went well. How do you like the car?
Ben_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 03:10 PM   #64
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Nice!
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 04:30 AM   #65
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
My 08 sedan does camping just fine for 2 people, handles everything needed , tent,camp cots,air mattresses,sleeping bags,cooler and all the food,stove and firewood for 2 nights. The car drives nice,fuel economy is very good.
A recent shot=
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...pstbpiopez.jpg
on this particular excursion i forgot the rainfly and am using the ground sheet as a replacement top,of course it rained all night and i ended up sleeping in the car.

Tags
fun, interior space, new buyer