Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-05-2007, 07:41 PM   #1
91drggndime
baggn n draggn

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to 91drggndime
oil everywhere?

We pamper the car and always change the oil.. This morning i make a sharp turn and the oil light flickers on for a second.. well i get a quart of oil and pour it in.. doesnt happen again.. kinda scratching my head as to why i need to add a quart.. anyways.. we smell a little bit of burning inside of the car a min ago and i pop the hood and no burning smell.. there is oil all in the that plastic piece under the radiator.. but nothing appears to be leaking or wet.. the oil pan is covered too and so is some of the undercarriage.. but there are no leaks or dribbles.

any ideas? its still under warranty and i'm going to take it in, but i'm kinda worried about it.

2007 Pacific Blue Yaris Sedan - wifes kid carrier and daily
1999.5 Brilliant Black Audi A4 - boosted 16 psi, supporting mods, s4 interior, you know, shit you cant get in the yaris.
91drggndime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 07:45 PM   #2
cdmyaris

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
Did something while you were driving go under and hitted your car? Is everything bolt in? Or did you overfill it?

My opinion take it in and have it checked before it create more problem in future. ASAP...
Old 09-05-2007, 07:51 PM   #3
91drggndime
baggn n draggn

when the light was flickering this morning.. i stopped at a gas station like 2 miles away and the dipstick read nothing, but i didnt have time to sit back and wait for it to drain.. so i stuck a whole quart or i would of been late to work.. screwed the cap back on and away i went.. i'm letting it sit now to see what the dipstick is gonna read.

a few things have hit under the car, but nothing huge.. the occasionally normal road stuff.

1999.5 Brilliant Black Audi A4 - boosted 16 psi, supporting mods, s4 interior, you know, shit you cant get in the yaris.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:23 PM   #4
91drggndime
baggn n draggn

i went bk out there.. dipstick is DRY.. the plastic under the radiator is like i said wet, the pan is wet, the front side of the filter is dry as is the whole engine in the bay, but the backside of the filter is wet, the pan is wet, the lca, the undercarriage..

did the filter fail?

Old 09-05-2007, 08:37 PM   #5
Tapper

Drives: 2008 Black RS 2dr
What does the seal on the bottom of the filter look like?
Tapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 08:41 PM   #6
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
I seem to remember someone a while back having a cracked crankcase..... I would call the dealer and get that bitch towed in.... BTW,how is the airride coming along?
Old 09-05-2007, 08:46 PM   #7
RShatchback

Drives: 07 yaris liftback
Did you change the oil - and double gasket the filter. IE, the old gasket stayed on when you took the filter off, and then you put a new one on, that would spray the oil everywhere...
Old 09-05-2007, 08:49 PM   #8
91drggndime
baggn n draggn

i havent changed the oil in this thing in awhile.. so no i didnt double o ring it.. i havent taken the filter off, i live in apt complex, i wanna get a new filter/oil with me so i can whip the oldo ff and the new one before morning and anyone knowing it.

i called my stepdad.. he said with the front of the filter being dry and the engine bay being dry.. but the back of the filter being wet, he suspects the seal in the filter failed.

black yaris.. plans to bag this have kinda taken a backseat to my nissan.. i told you how ghetto the guy did it when he owned it, well i was gonna ride it out and do it this winter well the link and 1 bracket broke.. so i backhalfed it... so the airred cash went tot hat.. but she'll get bagged soon with an electric setup that raises to a certain height.. the fiance isnt too 'switch knowledgeable'.. haha

Old 09-05-2007, 10:43 PM   #9
joey1320

Drives: Yaris LB
it does sound like a bad seal on the filter but is hard to tell if we can't see pics.
good luck with it.
joey1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 11:53 PM   #10
cdmyaris

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
check oil filter like everyone said. Make sure, you never putted new filter in dry. Take some new oil, use your finger and wet the gasket so it wouldnt dry and crack.

If its not the problem have toyota dealer check it.
Old 09-06-2007, 12:47 AM   #11
caveatipse
Banned

Drives: 2007 Black Yaris
Sounds like a filter gasket.
caveatipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 04:15 PM   #12
mrlam

Drives: Yaris
filter tight enough??
mrlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 05:38 PM   #13
91drggndime
baggn n draggn

yea the filter was tight enough.. i changed filters and oil in it at 1am in the parking lot..its held the oil level good.. i drove the pissout of it around my neighborhood about 30 ago.. no leaks, no leaks all night, oil level still looks good.. gonna let it cool and settle and recheck it...

sucks b/c toyota doesnt have a low oil light... the light means NO oil.