Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-05-2007, 06:27 PM   #1
Yarisguy13

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Stereo Wiring question????????

I recently switched out my stereo and made a spark while doing it. I check the fuses, but none are blown. The only wire that it effected is the ignition power wire.So now I can listen to my stereo, but it will stay on when I turn the car off, because I cant connect the ignition switch power wire. Does anyone know how I can get that ign. pwer wire to work?? Or if there is a hidden fuse that may be blown.
Yarisguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 12:38 AM   #2
mcdaddy

Drives: Yaris 2006, 2NZFE 1.3L
The easiest way to switched stereos/HU is to use the OEM wirings. Either tap/splice on the OEM or if available, get a wiring harness for Yaris. My guess is that you made a wrong connection, you took the power directly from the battery which supposedly for the stand-by power of your HUie: digital clock, memory settings, etc. instead of the ACC wire from the ignition, . Refer to the user manual of the OEM stereo & find out what wires goes into. Try to buy the self tapping connector so you won’t mess-up with the OEM wiring harness.

Goodluck!

Last edited by mcdaddy; 05-06-2007 at 01:10 AM.
mcdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 12:42 AM   #3
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
what kind of radio is it, i think it is kenwood that uses yellow and the constand and red as the acc where as everyone else uses the opposite and the wiring harnesses are coded for most applications
Old 05-06-2007, 10:17 AM   #4
punch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan "D" package
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarisguy13 View Post
I recently switched out my stereo and made a spark while doing it. I check the fuses, but none are blown. The only wire that it effected is the ignition power wire.So now I can listen to my stereo, but it will stay on when I turn the car off, because I cant connect the ignition switch power wire. Does anyone know how I can get that ign. pwer wire to work?? Or if there is a hidden fuse that may be blown.
well, the first step in any electrical job is to disconnect the battery....
punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 08:31 PM   #5
earljail

Drives: 07 Yaris Hatch 5speed
Don't worry - you didn't mess anything up. You just switched the wires. Black Yaris is probably right - some deck manufacturers switch the yellow and red. I just put in a JVC in my wife's Golf and I had to reverse the wires.

Sounds like it is too late to use a wiring harness since you probably cut the stock deck plug off. No problem, just a little tricky to match all the wires up.
earljail is offline   Reply With Quote