Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-31-2009, 04:40 PM   #37
Penguin Garage

Drives: Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealEnth View Post
GIMMIE MY STICKERZ!!1111
whoa, yelling isn't going to make USPS go faster. haha.

although Tamago has a stack of White Ones for the South Florida Yaris Peoples. :)
Penguin Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 07:24 PM   #38
PHXDEMON

Drives: 2007 Red Liftback
Nice diy I'll have to pick a pair of these up when i get paid.
PHXDEMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 01:28 PM   #39
Bob Dog
DARK PHASE OF THE MOON

Drives: 07 liftback
Special Torque setting? As in do I need a torque wrench to do this simple procedure correctly?
Bob Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 01:41 PM   #40
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
if you want to torque the bolts, you'll need a torque wrench. however, "tight" isn't very hard to achieve :)
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 06:16 PM   #41
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Got mine a week ago. Put them on today and I'm digging the new look Sorry for not taking before and after shots, but that's just how I roll. Hardcore, no pics.

Anyhow, the install was a breeze though I suggest when pulling the drum that you use those two screw holes provided. I tried prying it off a couple of different ways but didn't want to damage the back plate or anything else for that matter so the bolt in the hole did the trick. I just happened to have a small bolt that was perfect for it though I don't know the thread size. Just torqued on one hole til it started to pop off then did the opposite side. Piece of cake.

Easy mod for a beefier looking back end. Haven't taken it through any turns to see if it makes a huge difference in handling, but given that the change is very noticable to the eye I would expect some extra stability out of it.

I highly recommend this mod. Thanks Penguin Garage and Tamago!
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 06:55 PM   #42
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
size of that bolt would definetely come in handy...i do use bolt to pry out the rotor as well if its stuck on the hub. makes is alot easier..and thats what those 2 or 3 small holes are for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altitude View Post
Got mine a week ago. Put them on today and I'm digging the new look Sorry for not taking before and after shots, but that's just how I roll. Hardcore, no pics.

Anyhow, the install was a breeze though I suggest when pulling the drum that you use those two screw holes provided. I tried prying it off a couple of different ways but didn't want to damage the back plate or anything else for that matter so the bolt in the hole did the trick. I just happened to have a small bolt that was perfect for it though I don't know the thread size. Just torqued on one hole til it started to pop off then did the opposite side. Piece of cake.

Easy mod for a beefier looking back end. Haven't taken it through any turns to see if it makes a huge difference in handling, but given that the change is very noticable to the eye I would expect some extra stability out of it.

I highly recommend this mod. Thanks Penguin Garage and Tamago!
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 06:49 PM   #43
marlondog
Shut your fricken suck!!!

Drives: 07' liftback
Where on the drum are you tapping with the hammer? Are you using a screwdriver as well to help pry it off?
marlondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 07:06 PM   #44
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlondog View Post
Where on the drum are you tapping with the hammer? Are you using a screwdriver as well to help pry it off?
i've never had this issue, as i remove my drums every time i remove my rear wheels (simply to keep the corrosion factor to a minimum) however there is a small slot between the drum and the backing plate. you should be able to stick the corner of a block of wood (or a brass/copper punch) in this groove and go to town.

I apologize that i have not yet posted the bolt spec for pushing the drum off of the hub. my guess is that it's a standard metric bolt (coarse thread) that has a 10mm thread. 8MM possibly? i'll definitely let you guys know my findings, i'll be doing new rear brake shoes soon.
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Old 06-14-2009, 12:01 AM   #45
marlondog
Shut your fricken suck!!!

Drives: 07' liftback
Finally figured it out. It looks dope!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
i've never had this issue, as i remove my drums every time i remove my rear wheels (simply to keep the corrosion factor to a minimum) however there is a small slot between the drum and the backing plate. you should be able to stick the corner of a block of wood (or a brass/copper punch) in this groove and go to town.

I apologize that i have not yet posted the bolt spec for pushing the drum off of the hub. my guess is that it's a standard metric bolt (coarse thread) that has a 10mm thread. 8MM possibly? i'll definitely let you guys know my findings, i'll be doing new rear brake shoes soon.
marlondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 06:13 AM   #46
Tamago

edited. i added the ABS plug removal bit, stolen from the factory svc manual.
you nailed it sir.
Old 12-25-2009, 04:54 PM   #47
advocate

Drives: car
Alright just got the spacers in. My kit didn't come with a penguin either but I did have camber shims and lube.

I'm worried about my brakes though because they're not as responsive as before. I noticed a big difference after putting in the spacers and braking. It's somehow related to the brake lines because they had to be stretched a little bit to reach the hub after it was spaced further from the car.
advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 05:35 PM   #48
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by advocate View Post
Alright just got the spacers in. My kit didn't come with a penguin either but I did have camber shims and lube.

I'm worried about my brakes though because they're not as responsive as before. I noticed a big difference after putting in the spacers and braking. It's somehow related to the brake lines because they had to be stretched a little bit to reach the hub after it was spaced further from the car.
You should have any issues. Its possible you may have slightly kinked a brake line. You could try adjusting your rear brake shoes to see if helps.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 06:07 PM   #49
YAR1S

Drives: 07 Yaris 3dr LB (Bayou Blue)
Send a message via AIM to YAR1S
I hate to say this but maybe a re-think on the sticker design is in order.... my penguin's beak got ripped off today after carefully sticking and re-sticking everytime I wash my car...... poor thing is this blobb animal now.... :(

Quote:
"Spendin money that I don't have to buy parts that I don't need to impress people that I don't know"
YAR1S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 06:09 PM   #50
YAR1S

Drives: 07 Yaris 3dr LB (Bayou Blue)
Send a message via AIM to YAR1S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post

Tapping of the drum isnt really nessacary.... luckily the drum has two screw holes that take care of popping off the drum.... I thought I posted this already?

Quote:
"Spendin money that I don't have to buy parts that I don't need to impress people that I don't know"
YAR1S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 06:12 PM   #51
Penguin Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAR1S View Post
I hate to say this but maybe a re-think on the sticker design is in order.... my penguin's beak got ripped off today after carefully sticking and re-sticking everytime I wash my car...... poor thing is this blobb animal now.... :(
until we do a re-design I can send you a fresh one. :)

what color do you want?
Old 12-27-2009, 06:13 PM   #52
Penguin Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by advocate View Post

Who did you get them thru?

Shoot me a PM I'll get one sent out to you.
Old 02-24-2010, 03:43 PM   #53
Dj_SloKid

Drives: Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to Dj_SloKid Send a message via Yahoo to Dj_SloKid
what is the hub spacer for anyways? ikno ima noob
Dj_SloKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 03:51 PM   #54
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj_SloKid View Post
what is the hub spacer for anyways? ikno ima noob
www.penguingarage.com

hub spacers effectively lower your rear offset, making the rear track wider.
you nailed it sir.