Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-17-2009, 04:13 PM   #1
robkay

Drives: Hatch
K&N Air filter questions

I know a number of posters swear by these. I've never used one, but I'm due for a filter change and am considering the drop-in one.

1. Any real world comments on how they affected your mpg?

2. Apparently at some point you do a wet clean and reoil. I imagine you would still check the filter at least annually and maybe remove it and tap out any noticeable debris. Do you ever need to blow them out, our do you just leave it alone until it is time to reoil?

Can't think of any other questions.

Thanks.
robkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 04:28 PM   #2
Banned

Drives: '10 Yaris5drHB+99 4runner LTD
just use an OEM

if you could improve MPG by dropping in a different filter, Toyota would have done it already.

the engine and ECU is designed and fretted over as a complete system. changing one thing won't do jack. for any real improvements you need much money and time installing.

the only single mods which improve MPG are:

taking weight out, or rotational weight (lighter pulley, wheels) (get rid of seats)
less friction (lighter oils, skinny tires, overinflated tires)
aero body work (add-ons, take-offs, remove wipers...)
127.0.0.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 05:29 PM   #3
robkay

Drives: Hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
just use an OEM

if you could improve MPG by dropping in a different filter, Toyota would have done it already.

the engine and ECU is designed and fretted over as a complete system. changing one thing won't do jack. for any real improvements you need much money and time installing.

the only single mods which improve MPG are:

taking weight out, or rotational weight (lighter pulley, wheels) (get rid of seats)
less friction (lighter oils, skinny tires, overinflated tires)
aero body work (add-ons, take-offs, remove wipers...)
Oh, I wasn't necessarily looking to improve mpg, just want to make sure it won't make it worse. Some people do claim that they get improved fuel economy with the K&N's, though. Of course, those might be old domestics with horrible mpg to begin with.

Excellent points, though; and thanks for the quick reply!
robkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 09:19 PM   #4
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
I have a K&N in both of my Yaris's and I love them. I'm not going to claim any mpg increases but it does save me money over the life of the car. You should never use a blower to blow out debris. I check mine about once a month and I usually clean it about every 15,000, even though K&N says you don't have to clean it until way later than that. The road I take to work is fairly dusty so thats why I clean it more often. I put about 5000 miles every 6 weeks on both of my Yaris's so it saves me a lot more money compared to someone that doesn't drive that much. As long as you clean it properly you will not have any of the oil issues that some of the poster will post. People that have problems with their K&N usually didn't clean it properly.
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 09:49 PM   #5
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
MAS downstream of oily air filter. Gets oil on it. Car runs like crap. No thanks KN I dont need problems like that.
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 09:50 PM   #6
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
MAS downstream of oily air filter. Gets oil on it. Car runs like crap. No thanks KN I dont need problems like that.
Must take longer than 60k miles for that to happen, since mine has been working for longer than that....

supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 02:05 AM   #7
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
I have be using K&N air filters for years with absoluly no problems.
One benifit of a K&N is they tend to "open up" the top end a bit.
Making an engine breathe easier can only be a good thing.

Cleaning and re-oiling could not be simpler, just about idiot proof but, evidently some do manage to screw it up.

Quote:
.......if you could improve MPG by dropping in a different filter, Toyota would have done it already..........
Well, actually, Toyota does sell and install a "K&N type filter. Toyota calls it a "high performance" TRD filter and it is made exactly like a K&N for a ridiculous price.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 03:38 AM   #8
FAB

Drives: YARIS TS 1.5 P1
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_hickman11 View Post
I have a K&N in both of my Yaris's and I love them. I'm not going to claim any mpg increases but it does save me money over the life of the car.

me too.
i installed a typhoon kit and i am lovin it :)
really a great sound!

FAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 12:14 PM   #9
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
I've been using K&N filters on multiple vehicles for a decade now, and have never had a problem. The instructions for cleaning and oiling, which is a semi-annual occurrence for me, are written at a 3rd grade level. It is an overnight process when done properly (if you start the cleaning on an evening, which I always do), and my guess is that those very few who have managed to screw the process up either did not read the instructions, did not follow the instructions, and/or did not have the patience to let the freshly oiled filter sit overnight before wiping up any excess (which I've never seen) and reinstalling the filter.

While these filters are not miracle workers as far as MPG or power go, they do indeed save resources by being reusable and having a lifetime warranty. This also makes them much more cost effective over the long run.

If you can read at a 3rd grade level and have enough personal fortitude to let a filter sit out overnight twice a year, you'll do just fine with a K&N.

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 12:14 PM   #10
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
Quote:
IF it's over-oiled, probably so...but I've read where some Yaris owners are removing the carbon trap from the air box [guess that'll gain lots of extra hp? ] ...with that, even under-oiling probably won't keep the MAF meter from getting contaminated, plus I've seen Yaris owners claim that since it's a filter that doesn't filter dirt as well as paper it showed up on their UOA results. No thanks. :)

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
1stToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 12:23 PM   #11
1stToyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRide View Post
I have be using K&N air filters for years with absoluly no problems.
One benifit of a K&N is they tend to "open up" the top end a bit.
Making an engine breathe easier can only be a good thing.

Cleaning and re-oiling could not be simpler, just about idiot proof but, evidently some do manage to screw it up.

Well, actually, Toyota does sell and install a "K&N type filter. Toyota calls it a "high performance" TRD filter and it is made exactly like a K&N for a ridiculous price.
And if you read the fine print, and didn't let an authorized Toyota/Scion dealer do the install of their TRD HP part [don't know their view on K&N]...any problems that might occur can void warranty on part and possibly vehicle warranty.

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 11-18-2009, 01:05 PM   #12
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
Quote:
Like I said....people that don't follow the directions.
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 01:08 PM   #13
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
The stock air filter is really an excellent design. Its 99% efficient at removing dirt compared to the KN's 95%. My last one cost $13. Thats $40 for 90k miles of superior protection. At 90k miles Im buying a new car. I just dont see the cost/benefit being in the KNs favor. Maybe if I lived in Alaska on a dirt road and serviced the AF every 5k miles.
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 02:10 PM   #14
RedRide

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stToyota View Post
And if you read the fine print, and didn't let an authorized Toyota/Scion dealer do the install of their TRD HP part [don't know their view on K&N]...any problems that might occur can void warranty on part and possibly vehicle warranty.
NO..... a warranty can not be voided by using a Toyota filter.

BTW, once I got a TRD exhaust for my Celica and had the dealer insalled it as then it would be covered under the bumper to bumper warranty which still had 2 1/2 years left on it at that point.

The service manage then asked me if I wanted a TRD air filter also.
When I told him I already had a K&N filter installed he said OK then.
Old 11-18-2009, 02:25 PM   #15
1stToyota

Quote:
NO..... a warranty can not be voided by using a Toyota filter.
BTW, once I got a TRD exhaust for my Celica and had the dealer insalled it as then it would be covered under the bumper to bumper warranty which still had 2 1/2 years left on it at that point.

The service manage then asked me if I wanted a TRD air filter also.
When I told him I already had a K&N filter installed he said OK then.
Wrong. Care to scroll down to the warranty claim on TRD parts NOT installed by the authorized Toyota/Scion dealer?

http://www.trdusa.com/warranty.cfm

Guess it could all depend on the dealer and how serious they want to be about it...

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 11-18-2009, 02:37 PM   #16
RedRide

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stToyota View Post
Wrong. Care to scroll down to the warranty claim on TRD parts NOT installed by the authorized Toyota/Scion dealer?

http://www.trdusa.com/warranty.cfm

Guess it could all depend on the dealer and how serious they want to be about it...
Well yeah, That's why I said I let the dealer install the TRD exhaust
since I had well over 12 months/ 12k miles left on the Celica's warranty it piggy backed on that.
Othewise, I would only get 12 months/12k miles if i installed it myself.

They don't give you less warrany it you install it yourself. They give you more warranty if the dealer installs it providing you still have warranty (over 12 months/12k miles) left on the car to begin with.

This has been standard warranty practice for TRD parts for years.
Old 11-18-2009, 03:08 PM   #17
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
At 90k miles Im buying a new car. I just dont see the cost/benefit being in the KNs favor.
With that short amount of ownership time you're right that a K&N filter may not be worthwhile. However, with all of the other financial pitfalls of such a short ownership interval the cost of a reusable filter is the least of your worries.

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 03:55 PM   #18
1stToyota

Quote:
Well yeah, That's why I said I let the dealer install the TRD exhaust
since I had well over 12 months/ 12k miles left on the Celica's warranty it piggy backed on that.
Othewise, I would only get 12 months/12k miles if i installed it myself.

They don't give you less warrany it you install it yourself. They give you more warranty if the dealer installs it providing you still have warranty (over 12 months/12k miles) left on the car to begin with.

This has been standard warranty practice for TRD parts for years.
The difference in warranty coverage is dependant on who installed the TRD part; authorized dealer installed, no issues with part or vehicle warranty, but as my TRD link stated, non-authorized installer of TRD part can void warranty of part, or vehicle, or both.

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD