Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-25-2008, 12:49 PM   #1
pomx

Drives: Toyota Tercel
Considering a yaris

I currently have a toyota tercel now the echo replaced the tercel and the yaris replaced the echo so i say what the hell I need to check out the yaris ^_^.
I really like a lot of them on here. I have checked out many of your yaris threads and realized how nice the yaris actually is. I really like the 2 door Or 3 door, what ever you prefer. I especially like the 2/3 door S. I saw some pictures of it on toyota.com but can not seem to find any, why is that? Also i have not been able to find out but what are the differences between a base and an s so far all i see is exterior styling
pomx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 01:06 PM   #2
TinyGiant
Tiny Giant Clothing

Drives: 2008 Blazing Blue Yaris 3D LB
pretty much thats the only difference.. and the S has a tach

i think the interior looks a little different too.. but there are no mechanical differences.

save the money.. get the base and put the money into better mods!

you'll love the yaris.

my first car was a 90 trecel LB and we just bought this car in September and i love it ..
Old 11-25-2008, 02:00 PM   #3
PaidTimeOff
OMGWTFKITTYKATMEWMEWMEW

Drives: 2008 Yaris S
http://yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10231
Old 11-25-2008, 02:04 PM   #4
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb
If you loved the Tercel, you'll love the Yaris. I had an 82 Cressida and an 89 Tercel. Two of the best cars I've ever owned. You will not be sorry. As said above, save the money on the trim level and just add your own style with the money you've saved.

Last edited by KCALB SIRAY; 11-25-2008 at 02:19 PM.
KCALB SIRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 02:19 PM   #5
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Best bet for photo's would be the photo gallery.http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 02:55 PM   #6
pomx

Drives: Toyota Tercel
Thanks a lot guys i appreciate the info
pomx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 03:07 PM   #7
fearturtle44

Drives: S Flint Mica
For the 4 door, I like the "S" as it looks flashier. The regular 4 door is rather plain. But if money is an issue, by all means just get the standard.

Also has an AUX port for the IPOD which is very nice. I got a vent holder and IPOD fits great as it is somewhat eye level.

Kevin
fearturtle44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 03:09 PM   #8
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb
almost forgot:

Cup Holders!
KCALB SIRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 03:35 PM   #9
tetzyamis
'09 5dr

Drives: 2009 Yaris 5-Door Bayou Blue
I think liftback S has sport seat too.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:46 PM   #10
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
Wanting a Yaris is a great thing. You already have an Echo, so you know first-hand that it's reliable and great on gas. Now you're ready step forward, I say so for it. Just make sure you keep looking because they've been known to sell like crazy. Took me a whole month to find mine.

My first car was a '93 Paseo salvage bought 7 years ago. The frame was bent, it constantly needed a re-alignment, and the radiator fan was dead. Yet the engine never gave-up and it gave me great gas mileage. That thing just didn't understand the word "quit"

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 01:43 AM   #11
eric81

Drives: Toyota Salesman
Get the base model, and buy upgrades yourself. Also, be sure to get the "Power Package", because the back door lock SUCKS if it's not electric, and the windows can be a drag too. And I HIGHLY recommend getting the lowest grade stereo they have, then going to the local shop and upgrading it and getting sound proof for the doors. My radio is louder outside the car than it is in.
eric81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 02:59 PM   #12
Chupacabra
Banned

Drives: 2009 Yaris liftback
I am happy with my choice to pick up a Yaris. It was in my budget, having kids, and it gets the job done. It's a fantastic commuter car. It def needs a better stereo, lights and brakes but overall....I am very happy.
Chupacabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 04:01 PM   #13
Bob_VT

Drives: 08 Yaris LB
With you having toyota knowledge and history I will tell you that you will not be dissappointed with the Yaris. 2 basic designs ...... sedan or liftback. Go for it.... you will never regret it.

Come to the DARKSIDE..... We have candy
Bob_VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 06:42 PM   #14
LittleRed
LittleRed

Drives: 2008 Yaris Hatchback 5spd
2008 Yaris 5sp Hatch

I just bought a Yaris in Dec o7 and now have 24K on it...I love it alot ...i put in some Pulse Plugs and really notice an increase in power and torque...one of them did fail prematurely..apparently the ceramic insulator was too thin because of the capicator inside...but they are warranted for 50K..they were replaced free..<.they take from 800 to 1000 miles before the computer is adjusted to them i noticed>.. just put in an AEM cold-air intake and notice a big increase in torque in the upper range..This car is a blast to drive..turns on a dime..great on gas..and now becoming a sewing machine engine<which my friend calls it> on steroids :-] Toyota builds awesome cars that are quiet, reliable and at 11,800 for which i got it ..for a car that lasts 300K..lets see an american car compay offer such a deal..its vibration free..but road noise was prevalent..so i sprayed sound deadender on the underside.. ive saved tons of money in gas get 40 + MPG consisently..much faster on 91 octane<higher suppresses the timing> ive had several toyota's including an 81 starlet...had a 83 and a 88 supra..which are awsome too..2 tercels..and one camry... that 1.5 is a very advanced engine VVt-i and coil on plug design...Buttery smooth stick..love the smooth electric steering...very refined...... You dont see TOYOTA needing a bailout....Love my pocket Rocket!

Last edited by LittleRed; 11-26-2008 at 07:54 PM.
LittleRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 07:04 PM   #15
voodoo22

Drives: Yaris Sedan (auto)
There are a lot of changes coming down the line in the near future to make cars more fuel/space efficient. Talk of a Honda Fit Hybrid, the Toyota iQ, Hyundai's Blue lineup which will offer cars tweaked for better FE.

I wouldn't buy now unless I absolutely had to. It's not like you would be making a bad decision to buy now and you can always make an argument to wait for the newer stuff, but this time I think things are really beginning to change and in the next 1-2 years you're going to see many new products we don't have the option to right now. Products which hopefully are genuinely opening the door to real change in the types of cars we buy in North America.
voodoo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 07:58 PM   #16
LittleRed
LittleRed

Drives: 2008 Yaris Hatchback 5spd
The difference between the Base Model and the S model is..Side Rocker panels, front and rear spoilers and 15" steel wheels
LittleRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 08:12 PM   #17
Franck_Qc

Drives: 2008 Yaris RS
I don't know in the US, but here in Canada the difference between the Base Model and the RS model (S in USA) is:

Interior:
- Front Seat Type: Sport
- Rear Seat (60/40) Headrests Including Centre Headrest, Rear Seat Slide
- Leather Wrapped Steering Wheel & Shift Knob
- Tachometer
- AM/FM CD with MP3 Player, In Dash 6-Disc CD Changer, 4 Speakers
- Air Conditioning, Rear Seat Heater Ducts
- Power Windows
- Power Door Locks

Exterior:
- Aluminum Alloy Wheels
- Power Remote Mirrors
- Coloured Full Skirt Package, Coloured Bumpers / Mirrors & Handles, Rear Spoiler
- Fog Lamps
- ABS

Now 2010 Matrix XR
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...2010%20Matrix/
Franck_Qc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 09:30 PM   #18
PaidTimeOff
OMGWTFKITTYKATMEWMEWMEW

Drives: 2008 Yaris S
The Addons are mostly to the interior of the car. Here is a list of differences off the top of my head:

Seats - different, more aggressive bolstering and materials. Also, arguably, more comfortable than the regular seats

Gauge cluster lighting is amber in color - This might be standard on all the 09s now, I'm not too sure.

Tachometer - not a requirement to drive, but it's nice to have. And an aftermarket tach will never look as clean and seamless as an oem tach.

Headliner/interior fabrics - slightly different material and Black color

Leather wrapped steering wheel (which many members here are spending up to $200 to switch out to)

Leather shift knob

S exterior lip kit (saves on buying a kit later, and there really aren't many S lbs on the road, so the factory kit still looks pretty unique imo).

Edit: Some pics of the S gauge cluster and seats...