Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-31-2007, 09:37 AM   #1
GotYaris?

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Security on Yaris LiftBack

Okay, I'm confused about the security on a Yaris after reading the posts. I got the power door locks, and keyless entry (They give you one remote key and 2 regular keys). But I don't see any alarm system on the Yaris or any anti theft. I was told there is a chip in the keyless key but they gave me 2 regular keys that I doubt has any chip in them.

Also the steering wheel does not lock and I see no flashing anti-theft light like you have on most cars.

Soooo am I supposed to buy something else? I mean if people really want to steal your car I guess they are going to just do it anyway, but I'd like to make it tougher.

I have a 2007 LiftBack..
GotYaris? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 02:02 PM   #2
paradigm
o.O

Drives: 8
My car came with the power pkg but no keyless entry, the dealer added it in for me and it came with security but i dunno about the kind you have :/
paradigm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 02:19 PM   #3
Ninorc
Doh!

Drives: Black Yaris Hatchback
Send a message via AIM to Ninorc Send a message via MSN to Ninorc
Sounds like a straight from factory car.

Why? Because Yaris do not come shipped with a security system installed. Has to be done at the port of entry or by dealer.

Now, the benefits for getting the keyless from the factory is, you *should* have ABS installed on the car.

But, if you want a security system, ask the dealer how you'd go about getting it on the car. Off hand I know some dealers can do it, some dealers have to re-ship back to port to get it done, and others give the job to other businesses.

This is all from the experience I have with working for the port at SET. Does not mean other port of entry sights get the same model with a factory security, that we don't. And yes, surprisingly we don't get the same cars (as in features) others do.

Hope this helps in some way
Ninorc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 02:43 PM   #4
yarisuzr

Drives: 2007 Blazing Blue Yaris
I purchased the keyless entry and by mistake from port the car rolled off the truck with keyless entry and VIP security package. I believe the VIP security was a $499 package. There is a panic button on the keyless remote (don't know if that is on standard keyless entry models) and a small insert in the empty button slots on the center piece behind the shifter to the left of the aux input jack. It says VIP security on it and has a small flashing red light in the center. I was given the package at no charge because I originally paid for keyless entry only. Because it rolled in with VIP security in addition to what I already paid for they didn't charge me anything extra.
yarisuzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 03:52 PM   #5
GotYaris?

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninorc View Post

Now, the benefits for getting the keyless from the factory is, you *should* have ABS installed on the car.
I do have ABS..but no flashing red light so I guess I do not have it all. I have a choice of investing my bucks in the VIP or the teflon clearcoat on the piant, & undercoat.

Thanks..
GotYaris? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 04:39 PM   #6
static808
Engineer/Artist/House-Dad

Drives: 2006 Toyota Sienna XLE
keyless entry is different from the VIP security package. we gots our without the keyless entry but then got the VIP rs3200 system for around 225 bux (dealer cost). if you have the keyless entry from the factory, i believe you get the rs3200 PLUS system, which is cheaper than the system we got, since you already have keyless entry. our keyless entry was bundled with the security system. oh, and NO liftback has chipped keys, i dont care what anyone says. thats a factory item that is avaliable only on the sedan. if you want to verify, make a copy of your key and check the ignition. it WILL work. oh, and why did we choose the VIP system over cheaper aftermarket systems with more features?? every aftermarket alarm we've had has eventually drained the battery. some brands take longer than others, but it eventually got there. we also didnt want anyone splicing and dicing their way inside our brand new car. the VIP system is a plug and play module, with a little warning light and glass breakage sensor located near your parking brake. plus, its not soo expensive if you can get your dealer to give it to you at cost. hope this helps...

--B
Old 05-31-2007, 11:47 PM   #7
sdmf
Down With the Sickness

Drives: 2007 yaris liftback
Send a message via AIM to sdmf
wow over here it was 400 for the alarm and to install was 450 from the dealer, i got a avital 4400 with remote start 2 way pager for a fraction of the price. no keyless though. ug

Strength - Determination - Merciless - Forever
sdmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 11:39 AM   #8
bobby

Drives: 2007 Yaris/2009 Phit Sport
Ravelco immobilizer

I just bought a 2007 Yaris hatch in black. Not my first choice in colors, but it was a good deal. $11,900, and the sticker price was $13,400. I bought it right off of the showroom floor.

Anyhoo, I'm wondering if anybody out there has had a Ravelco immobilizer installed on their Yaris. Supposedly, no cars with this system have ever been stolen, but the price ($400) is a bit steep. What do u guys think about this? Thanks!
bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 10:45 AM   #9
RocknRollRon

Drives: '07 Yaris LB, White (The Egg)
Question

I just purchased the RS3200 alarm/security system (08586-53810, for my 2007 Liftback WITH power package & NO keyless entry). I have been studying the pdf instructions (TVIP V3) and it seems to be a very straight-forward install...play and play as everyone says. BUT I HAVE 2 OR 3 QUESTIONS AND ONE COMMENT; SEE BELOW.

Copy & paste this link: http://www.trdsparks.com/install/08586-53810inst.pdf
(I also posted a copy in the DIY section)

I got stuck in the airport the other day and ended up reading them about a dozen times and noticed a few inconsistencies in the install. Here are my comments and questions:

(1) The install has me partially removing the center cluster panel trim and removing the Daytime Running Light ECU (page 6 of 38, step p &q). According to the instructions - Nothing ever gets re-installed! I originally thought the DRL and trim were removed to have more access to the under dash. But, now I'm wondering if it really means the DRL needs to stay disconnected? Who out there has the dealer installed part I just ordered?

(2) The instructions are very detailed BUT DO NOT advise the installer to put back all the trim. Half a page on how to put the key tag together and labels on the windows...Weird.

(3) There are 8 pages on testing to assure the install makes everything work well - but there is no troubleshooting guide for things if they don't work. Also, at the start of the testing (page 32) it says "Fit appropriate fuse before testing" than at the end (page 38) it says "Remove the appropriate fuse after checks are completed". What fuse(s) are they talking about?

I'm not a techy - so any feedback on this TVIP V3 RS3200 install would be appreciated!

Last edited by RocknRollRon; 08-26-2007 at 01:11 PM.
RocknRollRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 06:53 PM   #10
earljail

Drives: 07 Yaris Hatch 5speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotYaris? View Post
Also the steering wheel does not lock
I've got a '07 Hatch as well. My wheel locks. After you take the key out, turn the wheel until it clicks. Then it won't turn anymore.

Does everybody else's lock?
earljail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 10:50 PM   #11
RocknRollRon

Quote:
Originally Posted by earljail View Post
I've got a '07 Hatch as well. My wheel locks. After you take the key out, turn the wheel until it clicks. Then it won't turn anymore.

Does everybody else's lock?
Dude, you're on the wrong thread!
This thread is about alarm systems!
Old 08-30-2007, 08:39 AM   #12
RocknRollRon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocknRollRon View Post
I just purchased the RS3200 alarm/security system (08586-53810, for my 2007 Liftback WITH power package & NO keyless entry). I have been studying the pdf instructions (TVIP V3) and it seems to be a very straight-forward install...play and play as everyone says. BUT I HAVE 2 OR 3 QUESTIONS AND ONE COMMENT; SEE BELOW.

Copy & paste this link: http://www.trdsparks.com/install/08586-53810inst.pdf
(I also posted a copy in the DIY section)

I got stuck in the airport the other day and ended up reading them about a dozen times and noticed a few inconsistencies in the install. Here are my comments and questions:

(1) The install has me partially removing the center cluster panel trim and removing the Daytime Running Light ECU (page 6 of 38, step p &q). According to the instructions - Nothing ever gets re-installed! I originally thought the DRL and trim were removed to have more access to the under dash. But, now I'm wondering if it really means the DRL needs to stay disconnected? Who out there has the dealer installed part I just ordered?

(2) The instructions are very detailed BUT DO NOT advise the installer to put back all the trim. Half a page on how to put the key tag together and labels on the windows...Weird.

(3) There are 8 pages on testing to assure the install makes everything work well - but there is no troubleshooting guide for things if they don't work. Also, at the start of the testing (page 32) it says "Fit appropriate fuse before testing" than at the end (page 38) it says "Remove the appropriate fuse after checks are completed". What fuse(s) are they talking about?

I'm not a techy - so any feedback on this TVIP V3 RS3200 install would be appreciated!
So....Yaris oners with the VIPV3 RS3200 - can anyone answer any of my few questions?
Old 09-03-2007, 11:10 AM   #13
RocknRollRon

OK, no one responded to any of my questions regarding the alarm system so I just went for it!

I installed the RS3200 system (the one for those that already have power package but no KE) myself two days ago and the result was perfect! No problems once it was actually finished. But here's some notes that might help other if they choose to do it themselves:

(1) Instead of just removing the left side of the cluster - remove all the trim under the radio. This will help you route the wiring harness behind the dash from the driver's side to the right.

(2) Be careful when securing the wires under the steering column and in front of the vent controls. If the wires are wrong around the steering column it can interfer with the tilt steering or make it hard to put the trim back. The harness can also interfer with the air controls if it gets in between the back of the glove box and the moving vent parts.

(3) Some of the wires you unplug and move during the install have very, very small connectors and locks. Also, they are difficult to reach and very short which can make the install frustrating and hard. DO NOT try the install if you have no patience or are unable to see and work with very small connections.

(4) My questions got answered by myself during th install. (a) The DRL module is not a problem- it is not removed or disconnected. (b) There is no need to do anything with fuses like it says in the instructions. You just plug and play! No fuses to add or remove!

I highly recommend this Alarm system. It is Toyota made, works well, can be bought for about $300 and self-installed. It includes loads of alarm features including custom settings, Active and Passive Arming and Disarming, Glass Breaking Sensor (which detects break ins and can be loudness adjusted) and of course Keyless Entry which I didn't have from the factory.

I have lots of pics from the install so if you might need any -ask.