Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-29-2009, 02:25 AM   #19
1NZYaris1

Drives: Yaris
take your sons Yaris for a week or 2 , then see where you stand .
personally i would wait till next year when the new model is released .
which should be the 1.8 for the US market.
1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 03:17 AM   #20
roxy1

Drives: 2014 yaris 5 speed
depreciation is the exact reason to avoid this transaction. you could turn that $14,500 yaris into a $19,000 yaris with the massive loss you'd take on a cobalt. the best thing to do with cars that depreciate fast like the cobalt is drive them into the ground. thats where you will get your moneys worth.
roxy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 11:50 AM   #21
YarisOwnersDad
Is now a Corolla S Owner

Drives: 2010 Corolla S
OK, you guys who are encouraging me to trade are preaching to the choir. It's my WIFE who needs convincing.

I do appreciate all the replies, the serious and the not so serious.

One problem with trading at that same dealership where Wes bought his car is that they already have a 2007 Cobalt LS on their lot, and they might not be willing to give me as much trade-in on my 2008 Cobalt LS because of that. The one on their lot is white, just like mine.

Another big problem, and I sure don't want to hurt any feelings, is that the ONLY color on the Yaris that really floats my boat is the deep red metallic, like Wes's car. He wouldn't appreciate my buying a car exactly like his right down to the color. I have not seen in person all of the different colors that you can get on a Yaris, so maybe there would be one that I would like pretty well, though.

Here's another factor in this whole thing ... Hudson Toyota gives a lifetime power train warranty on the cars they sell with unlimited mileage! As long as I might own that little Yaris, Hudson would stand good for the power train, even if the car had 300,000 miles on it.

Tom
YarisOwnersDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 11:59 AM   #22
YarisOwnersDad
Is now a Corolla S Owner

Ok, what's this about an "improved" Yaris and a 1.8 ? Will the 1.8 still get the same great fuel economy as does the current 1.5? I'll do some searching, but if someone wants to whup a link to some info on the new Yaris on me, it would be appreciated.

Tom
Old 03-29-2009, 12:01 PM   #23
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisOwnersDad View Post
Ok, what's this about an "improved" Yaris and a 1.8 ? Will the 1.8 still get the same great fuel economy as does the current 1.5? I'll do some searching, but if someone wants to whup a link to some info on the new Yaris on me, it would be appreciated.

Tom
it's speculation really... Europe has a 1.8L version of the car with more power and slightly reduced fuel efficiency. It is not very likely you'll see it in the US as Scion sells the xD which is essentially the same car but with a different look...

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 12:27 PM   #24
YarisOwnersDad
Is now a Corolla S Owner

Hey, I wonder if I could turn the dealership's having a 2007 Cobalt LS on their lot into an advantage when it comes to getting the most trade-in allowance on my 2008 Cobalt LS?

I could have someone pretend to be interested in the 2007 and ask them for their best price on it. I could then use that as ammunition when I am negotiating the trade-in allowance on mine. I realize that they have to make a reasonable profit on the trade-in when they try to sell it, but I could allow for that in my negotiating with them.

Tom
Old 03-29-2009, 12:53 PM   #25
frownonfun

Drives: 09 Yaris HB, 08 SR5 Tundra
i'm still thinking you should keep your cobalt. i mean it's really more comparable to a corolla than a yaris. it's not a bad looking little car either. plus i know people will give you the 80-90k lifespan propaganda about your chevy but in reality it's not that bad if you take care of it. i love toyota but they aren't perfect either. i've seen plenty of POS camrys and corollas driving around too. plus GM isn't gonna collapse like some may think. they are going through a rough patch no doubt but to think that they are just gonna cease to exist any time soon is silly. plus you don't have to necessarily keep your cobalt til the end of time... just until you get a little closer to payoff.

just my 2 cents.
frownonfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 12:59 PM   #26
yaris-?

Drives: 2000 Civic
Question

Hey dad (or anyone) how does a Cobalt have more trunk room than a Yaris ? I'm considering a new Cobalt LS or a Yaris or Prius or Honda Insight II ...
yaris-? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 01:16 PM   #27
YarisOwnersDad
Is now a Corolla S Owner

Yaris-?:

The Cobalt is more of a compact, while the Yaris is more of a subcompact. With the Cobalt, you will get more front seat room and more trunk room at the expense of a few miles per gallon on gas mileage. You will also find that that 2.2 L Ecotec engine will kick some butt. I couldn't believe the power that little Cobalt has the first time I kicked it down.

I have no complaints with the Cobalt. It's just that I fell in love with the Yaris, and I DO believe the reliability factor favors the Toyota over the Chevy.

Tom

Last edited by YarisOwnersDad; 03-29-2009 at 01:27 PM.
Old 03-29-2009, 01:18 PM   #28
YarisOwnersDad
Is now a Corolla S Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by frownonfun View Post
i'm still thinking you should keep your cobalt. i mean it's really more comparable to a corolla than a yaris. it's not a bad looking little car either. plus i know people will give you the 80-90k lifespan propaganda about your chevy but in reality it's not that bad if you take care of it. i love toyota but they aren't perfect either. i've seen plenty of POS camrys and corollas driving around too. plus GM isn't gonna collapse like some may think. they are going through a rough patch no doubt but to think that they are just gonna cease to exist any time soon is silly. plus you don't have to necessarily keep your cobalt til the end of time... just until you get a little closer to payoff.

just my 2 cents.
Common sense definitely says that I should keep the Cobalt. I have never been accused of having a lot of common sense, though.

I probably will not trade at this time.

Tom
Old 03-29-2009, 02:43 PM   #29
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
it's speculation really... Europe has a 1.8L version of the car with more power and slightly reduced fuel efficiency. It is not very likely you'll see it in the US ...
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 08:33 PM   #30
roxy1

Quote:

Tom
ive got the 2009 corolla w/ a 1.8l engine, and it achieves mpg's very similar to the yaris and is a considerably heavier car. i dont see why that engine in the yaris wouldnt return even a little better mileage.

i think the next gen yaris will be here in 2011. if you are patient, you may like it even more.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:16 PM   #31
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy1 View Post
ive got the 2009 corolla w/ a 1.8l engine, and it achieves mpg's very similar to the yaris and is a considerably heavier car.
I didn't believe you at first, my 99 was ~2300 pounds if I remember correctly, but the 09 is over 2700.... that's a little dissapointing
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 12:18 AM   #32
JBougie
Banned

Drives: 2010 Yaris LB (Prev: 07 Sedan)
I can't remember exactly where I saw this ... but I heard a crazy rumor about GM possibly going under.

I just don't think Toyota was mentioned in that story.... :)

lol

Toyota Yaris > Anything GM
JBougie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 08:04 AM   #33
roxy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by supmet View Post
I didn't believe you at first, my 99 was ~2300 pounds if I remember correctly, but the 09 is over 2700.... that's a little dissapointing
the 09 corolla didnt get much longer than the 9th gen (if at all), but got a little wider. along w/ added standard safety features/sound insulation, hard to avoid the weight gain. but, its pretty quiet and smooth riding for an eco car. still i get about 1.5-2 mpg less than i did w/ my yaris on the same route, same driving style, so that new 1.8 engine is very efficient. would love to see it in the next gen yaris.
Old 03-30-2009, 04:35 PM   #34
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
Quote:
Ever since going with my son, Wes, to help him negotiate a deal on a new Yaris on Monday, March 16, 2009, I have not been able to get the Yaris off of my mind.

I had never paid any attention the the Yaris before, but after helping Wes get his, I have been wanting to get one for myself. The Yaris is such a cool little car!

I have a nice 2008 Cobalt sedan that I bought new less than nine months ago, and I was perfectly happy with that car until I was introduced to the Yaris.

The Cobalt has more interior room and more trunk room, has a 50% bigger engine (2.2L vs. the Yaris 1.5L) with almost 50% more horsepower (Approx 150 vs 106), has very good ride and handling qualities, and gets decent gas mileage (about 27 MPG for my overall driving mix).

So, why do I want a Yaris so bad? I would definitely trade for one, if I had not just bought that Cobalt nine months ago. I would do so knowing that the gas savings would not come close to justifying the trade.

Let's say that my overall 27 MPG would become 35 MPG with the Yaris. I drive about 18K miles per year, so I would buy 514 gallons of gas per year with the Yaris vs. 667 gallons with the Cobalt. This savings of 153 gallons of gas at two dollars per gallon is only an annual savings of $306. That is certainly not economic justification for trading cars.

It would definitely feel good to think that I had spared the environment the consequences of burning 153 gallons of gas, and I would know that I had made that small contribution toward lessening our dependence on foreign oil. Also, as I understand it, for every gallon of gas the Yaris burns, it emits less harmful substance than would be the case for almost any other car. So, the Yaris would not only consume fewer gallons of gas, but would also burn the gas that it does consume more efficiently and do less polluting.

That's it! I MUST convince my wife that it is my duty as a responsible inhabitant of this planet to trade my new Cobalt for a new Yaris!

Tom
If you want to trade to be more green... All the power to you, and I stand behind you. If you want to trade cause it is cool.... just sell your car when its like 10k miles away from being out of warranty.

I do think that your calculations are off however for yearly gas savings. Gas is $2/gal right now. my guess is that it'll be at least $3/gal by 4th of July. Prices always go up during the summer months.
Old 03-30-2009, 04:56 PM   #35
BLAZINBLUEVITZ

Drives: 2007 YARIS 3DOOR
if that cobalt was a SS id keep it......
Old 03-30-2009, 05:08 PM   #36
YarisOwnersDad
Is now a Corolla S Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZINBLUEVITZ View Post
if that cobalt was a SS id keep it......
Naw, it's just a stripped down LS.

Tom