Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-10-2017, 08:53 PM   #1
Yaris709

Drives: 07 yaris
Cold air intake?

Anyone on here running a cold air intake? Wondering if it's worth the money on the yaris or just a waste
Yaris709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 09:36 PM   #2
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
It makes a difference. But it also makes for some better induction noise.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 10:13 PM   #3
invader166
Pumpman

Drives: 2019 Kia Soul EV Base
Unless you plan on doing the wholle induction system (intake, throttle, and manifold) than I it's kind of a waste.

Unless of course you want extra induction noise with no real extra power.
Old 04-10-2017, 10:45 PM   #4
tarkus

Drives: 2006 Yaris RS 3-Door
The Yaris' stock intake is already placed to take in cooler air. So that's not really an issue. On my Yaris, I've just put in a drop-in replacement AfE filter, which provides higher airflow and is also washable. Then I removed the carbon filter from the air box as well. It gives the car a little more go, and a bit more growl.

Sent from my phone with Tapatalk. Please excuse any typpos.
tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 12:58 AM   #5
rabbito

Drives: 2012 Toyota Yaris Sedan (Vios)
just like tarkus said..stock box is already cool enough...go with throttle body or manifold...had the intake but took them off, no real gain...i went with 1zz throttle body with custom piping thay matches the exact size of t.b and intake box

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk
Electric: Volt Stablizer & Multi gauge obd2
Cosmetic: Toyota red emblem
rabbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 09:21 PM   #6
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
It's absolutely hilarious on a supercharged 1NZ with a 1ZZ throttle body. Lots of loud supercharger noises and some serious HP gains to boot. On an otherwise stock engine, you may see a few HP gained.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 11:08 PM   #7
ecampos

Drives: 2017 Toyota Yaris S XP-150
I have a cold air intake on my Yaris, I think it mostly just adds kind of a growl throttle noise. Performance gains are minimal if any.

If you want to get a mod and actually feel a slight difference go with exhaust headers, you'll feel that more than the CAI.
Old 07-03-2017, 08:30 PM   #8
JimKellyfan

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecampos View Post
I have a cold air intake on my Yaris, I think it mostly just adds kind of a growl throttle noise. Performance gains are minimal if any.

If you want to get a mod and actually feel a slight difference go with exhaust headers, you'll feel that more than the CAI.
I went with just the TRD cat back and feel a little more somethin something with the butt dyno. Has me lookin fer more.
DC has one on Amazon for 257.97 currently.
It's in my wish list.
------------------------------------------
Anyone think of or do either a redneck ram air / mini hood scoop or poke a hole in unused radiator area or flip fresh air tube upside down with any success ?
2010 Yaris sedan, TRD CAT back (sport muffler only, really), OBX header (relocated front AF sensor to front pipe), OBX throttle plate spacer, K&N filter (in stock air box-for now), TRD struts and shocks, Mexico Rough Road Springs x 4, new Yota sway bar links front, slotted/drilled rotors and Maxx brakes front, Valvoline synthetic brake fluid, 3M undercoated, 16" Konig Feathers Michelin Pilot Sport AS 3 + Tires
TRD rear sway bar, 4 GT Spec bars including: front strut brace 2 point, 4 point ladder brace, mid chassis brace and rear lower tie brace, rear hitch, [B]
JimKellyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 12:34 AM   #9
vitz rs gs

Drives: Toyota vitz rs gs 2012
I have a K&N typhoon air intake. I can say that you a very very nice sound with the vvti. No more drop between gear shift and a better acceleration as the car is more responsive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
vitz rs gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 12:38 AM   #10
vitz rs gs

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitz rs gs View Post
I have a K&N typhoon air intake. I can say that you a very very nice sound with the vvti. No more drop between gear shift and a better acceleration as the car is more responsive.

I must also add that a Tanabe high flow exhaust helps also on the performance.

Old 04-27-2017, 02:39 AM   #11
ncp13

Drives: 01 Yaris TS
Anyone has dynoed before and after?
I also love a good intake growl but with added benefits :)
ncp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 06:12 AM   #12
vitz rs gs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncp13 View Post
Anyone has dynoed before and after?

I also love a good intake growl but with added benefits :)

I don't have a dyno test but I have tested on the same road my accelaration from 0 to 100 km/h. Before 12 sec after its aprox 10 sec

Old 04-27-2017, 09:48 PM   #13
SirDigby

Drives: 2007 yaris 3 door
Quote:
I don't have a dyno test but I have tested on the same road my accelaration from 0 to 100 km/h. Before 12 sec after its aprox 10 sec
you shaved 2 seconds off 0-62mph with an intake and a muffler? that's the most amazing thing i've heard this week! i've seen people pay $5,000 to accomplish this, who knew all they needed was an intake and a muffler....
SirDigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 07:47 AM   #14
miiser

Drives: yaris 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDigby View Post
you shaved 2 seconds off 0-62mph with an intake and a muffler? that's the most amazing thing i've heard this week! i've seen people pay $5,000 to accomplish this, who knew all they needed was an intake and a muffler....

I saw the comment yesterday and I had write like 100 lines of response but then I said nahhh let it be :p

miiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 08:38 AM   #15
miiser

Drives: yaris 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by miiser View Post
I saw the comment yesterday and I had write like 100 lines of response but then I said nahhh let it be :p

It's the feeling when someone spent like 320$ on a filter and he is trying to convince himself that he did a good choice :p

I mean common 300$ for a filter? I searched it on amazon yesterday and that's the price.
Really with this amount of money you can do so maaaany better things:
•put a spoiler
•put a good sound system with touchscreen and amp + new speakers
•convert the cloth seats to leather by a professional workshop
And much more things
They don't change the power, but neither the filter does

miiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 08:32 PM   #16
JimKellyfan

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDigby View Post
2010 Yaris sedan, TRD CAT back (sport muffler only, really), OBX header (relocated front AF sensor to front pipe), OBX throttle plate spacer, K&N filter (in stock air box-for now), TRD struts and shocks, Mexico Rough Road Springs x 4, new Yota sway bar links front, slotted/drilled rotors and Maxx brakes front, Valvoline synthetic brake fluid, 3M undercoated, 16" Konig Feathers Michelin Pilot Sport AS 3 + Tires
TRD rear sway bar, 4 GT Spec bars including: front strut brace 2 point, 4 point ladder brace, mid chassis brace and rear lower tie brace, rear hitch, [B]
JimKellyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 12:13 AM   #17
alias06

Drives: 2008 Red Toyota Yaris
Quote:

Stock 0-60 time is in the 10 sec range. I seriously doubt that an intake did anything.
alias06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 07:29 AM   #18
DiCaprio
Just a Gaijin

Drives: 2006 Yaris 4 door 1.3l
Quote:
Originally Posted by alias06 View Post
Stock 0-60 time is in the 10 sec range. I seriously doubt that an intake did anything.
It all comes down to the launch and conditions.
I've done a before and after test with new tires, lightweight alloys and air intake.
The car was stock before.

Before with winter tires and stock air intake the best i could do was 11.1 sec
After with new sticky summer tires and aftermarket air intake the best i could do was 11.3 sec.

So after i did the mods my 0-62 times were worse than before.
So i guess my winter tires stick well enough to put the power down and it all comes down to the launch and your shifting.
You can scrape off some time with good shifting.

But with a bad launch my times are always in the 12-13 sec range.

My engine is the 1.3l 2SZ-FE

Last edited by DiCaprio; 06-16-2017 at 07:40 AM.
DiCaprio is offline   Reply With Quote