Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-14-2015, 02:50 AM   #19
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader166 View Post
People hardly ever use them anymore these days.
This ^^^^^.....and it is worse here, IMO, than in the other large metros in the U.S. and Canada. The drivers are worse (than here) in parts of Florida, but they use their turn signals more often .
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 07:02 AM   #20
LugNut

Drives: 2007 2DR Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugNut View Post
Used to be that the "flasher" ... Yari have such?
From RockAuto.com, for my 2007, they do have flasher relays but they are in plastic rectangular housings instead of round metal. One brand calls them "Lighting control modules", but RockAuto lists them under "flashers" in their electrical category. Expensive! I don't see one specifically listed as heavy duty -- check each manufacturer's website and/or e-mail them to learn about their sound. Then let us know, please!
LugNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 07:14 AM   #21
LugNut

One hit when searching for "Toyota","flasher", and "louder" says there is, for at least one model, as separate piezoelectric speaker that's connected to the flasher. Anyone have a PDF of the indicators and hazards circuits for the Yaris online?
Old 09-14-2015, 03:59 PM   #22
LugNut

Flasher mystery solved! Pic soon.
Old 09-14-2015, 04:10 PM   #23
NEexpat

Drives: 2009, auto, 4dr LB
In one of my earliest posts I mentioned two complaints I have with the Yaris.

First, I wished the driver side seat rails were 2 inches longer, (couldn't care less about passenger side since I never sit there) and second, I wished the directional clicker relay was louder.

Looking forward to your solution.

Cheers.
NEexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 04:13 PM   #24
LugNut

No separate speaker, etc. -- it is the flasher that makes the sound. Here's mine (from through the dash, left of the LHD steering column); its the tan rectangle to the right of the pink and blue ones at the bottom of the board:

Inverted, but its markings start as "Flasher" and "Denso". You (too) have to remove the little hopper that tilts out to see it. Open the hopper, pull up to detach the snap-on hinge, then lower the hopper to get its two retainer tabs out of the slots in the dash shown.

So ... how to make it louder. I'm not finding a "heavy duty" version yet. I do see "loud" flashers "for Toyota" on eBay and Amazon, but they obviously are not plug-and-play for the Yaris. Anyone find otherwise? If so, what/where?

One solution might be to just replace the hopper with a screen or grille. Removing the cover from the flasher would help too, but the relays might then be exposed -- not safe for people nor from dust, etc.
Old 09-14-2015, 04:29 PM   #25
LugNut

Just found another reason to make the flasher much louder -- by reviewing a sample video, my new dashcam can't pick up the sound the flasher produces! That could be important. I can hear in the video clip, fairly well, my keyring banging against the steering column though.
Old 09-14-2015, 04:41 PM   #26
LugNut

I've fired-off an e-mail to one of the flasher-makers about this loudness topic.
Old 10-05-2015, 08:55 PM   #27
LugNut

Heard back from their customer service rep that they don't make a louder turn signal flasher. No response yet to my request that the idea be forwarded to their design staff. Via a web search, I do see people selling small add-on buzzers that require modifying the OEM flasher.

Back on the the louder horns, they do have a significant negative. The too-easy panic button on the OEM key fob now results in extremely loud accidential soundings.

I've just posted a way to reduce them, though:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...334#post770334