Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-07-2018, 09:02 PM   #1
Adriaan
In between cities

Drives: 2006 yaris ce
My new car

So with the yaris gone. Got a used 2017 cruze premier formally the LTZ. Pretty happy with it, as almost every thing i need. Leather seats, apple play, heated seats but only in the front the RS has the rear also. Good on gas, the trunk is big for a car this size. Nice smooth ride on 17" tires, not much body roll. It drives and feels like a jetta had one for a rental, as it is Opel designed, wasn't expecting that. As I did my checked up and cleaning alot of the parts are bosch. I like the rental car, boring look. Doesn't attract attention so I know it will always be there in the morning on the drive way. Few things I don't like is the start/stop feature. I get it why it was put on, but you can't turn it off and it isn't learning. I've had it work with I'm in my driveway, not needed as I'm going to turn it off as I'm parked. Also a little worry about it for winter, don't want it turning off and on when we get those really cold days. Also the 1.4 is turbo and direct injection version 1, not 2 which has the injectors on top and inside so clear the carbon built up. So have to get a oil catch can hopefully it will cut down on the carbon. I'm already using good oil amsoil or mobil 1 EP, and good fuel shell or esso.

As for mods not much painted the calipers green with left over paint from work. Going to get some LED bulbs, tint the glass and change the front Chevy emblem from gold to black and maybe change the rear bowtie to the Holden badge and the name from the Cruze to Astra LTZ. as this model of sedan is Australia. The Opel sedan version in the Buick Verano.
Also got new tires, as I'm getting older and lazy now I got the Nokian WRG4. A true all weather tire. So one set all year round. Well see how it goes. It made in Finland so they should know a thing or 2 about snow. So far in the summer weather it is very quiet, compare to the stock firestone. Also great in rain, not a sticky summer tire has trouble keeping it on an apex when pushed. But so far alot better than a regular all season tire.

Haven't taken it on a long drive yet still healing up, as I can only drive short distances as I was badly injured internally more than I though.

Last edited by Adriaan; 09-09-2018 at 09:41 PM.
Adriaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 09:15 PM   #2
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Congrats on the new car!

I've driven the Cruze, and I like it very much. I think it's a handsome car. I love the conservative styling. The hatchback also looks great!

Yes, Opel platform, so the car actually feels very European. It's rated right up there with Corolla for reliability.

BTW, does the LTZ model have a power driver's seat with lumbar support?
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 09:42 PM   #3
Adriaan
In between cities

Thanks. I wanted the hatch but they didn't have at the used car place I went to. Supposedly the hatch is heavier than the sedan so the gas mileage is better on the sedan. The tank is only a bit bigger than the yaris at 11gal. The ecotec engine has been around since 94, my dad is a GM guy, says they are very reliable engine as GM has a years to improve on it since it was introduced, once the owner takes care of it. It is up on the list as reliable with the 4age and B18. They all have there quirk, but still very reliable. It does have the power driver seat, slight lumber support I find when compared to the yaris, but I think the RS version has one that is adjustable, not sure.
Old 09-07-2018, 11:50 PM   #4
justanotherdrunk

Drives: 2016 SE
while not a 4 door sedan guy i like front end styling with the factory chin spoiler

justanotherdrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 06:37 AM   #5
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriaan View Post
As for mods not much painted the calipers green with left over paint from work. Going to get some LED bulbs, tint the glass and change the front Chevy emblem from gold to black and maybe change the rear bowtie to the Holden badge and the name from the Cruze to Astra LTZ. as this model of sedan is Australia. The Opel sedan version in the Buick Verano.

Never liked the Chevy bowtie, so changing the grille badge from gold to black makes sense to me. I'd probably change the rear bowtie to an Opel badge just because I like it's simple design. Cruze to Astra is good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg opel badge.jpg (6.6 KB, 86 views)
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 02:37 PM   #6
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Congrats!

In my fender bender post, we've been talking about how I was given a choice by the rental company to take a Mazda 3 or Chevy Cruze. Your car looks exactly like the Cruze I could have taken, down to the color. Funny coincidence.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 06:09 PM   #7
justanotherdrunk

Drives: 2016 SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
Congrats!

In my fender bender post, we've been talking about how I was given a choice by the rental company to take a Mazda 3 or Chevy Cruze. Your car looks exactly like the Cruze I could have taken, down to the color. Funny coincidence.
i was thinkin' the same thing

justanotherdrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 09:15 PM   #8
Adriaan
In between cities

That's what I though when I got it, but it has everything I need plus insurance is cheaper on the cruze than a Mazda 3, or corolla which where also on the lot. I've mostly seen enterprise with these cars, I guess they have a contract with them.
Old 09-10-2018, 12:42 AM   #9
Runethecursed

Drives: 2009 Yaris S
Congrats on the new car, I rented one a while and drove it off the oregon coast on the 101, really good actually and then tame for flying 75mph roadtrips. avg 37 mpg? something good. if it was a manual im sure it would be worse, but i liked how it was all laid out, how it felt and no real issues or complaints. im sure its a good un!
Old 09-10-2018, 09:50 AM   #10
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
needs a tune!
Old 09-10-2018, 11:02 AM   #11
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriaan View Post
That's what I though when I got it, but it has everything I need plus insurance is cheaper on the cruze than a Mazda 3, or corolla which where also on the lot. I've mostly seen enterprise with these cars, I guess they have a contract with them.
Yeah, no hate at all. Based on what others have said, it's an Opel and has great reliability. Looks good, too.

If you haven't already, update your Wheelwell garage with the new hotness.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 01:18 PM   #12
wallaby

Drives: Yaris 2015
The 2017 Cruze is a really great car. I also had one. Back in 2017-2018, it was a pure bargain! For the maximum of 23.000 bucks, you were getting a great car, which was reliable and wouldn't drop in price that much. I would say that I liked it even more than the newest Yaris. Just like all the newer Toyota cars, they just keep disappointing. I was a true Toyota fan, and the Yaris was one of my favorite cars, but their recent downgrades are just terrible. That's why I prefer the chevy all day long. I was surprised to find people in Europe driving this car. I even rented one when I visited Ukraine. I didn't expect to see the Chevy Cruze in Europe.

Last edited by kimona; 02-23-2022 at 05:29 AM.
wallaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 01:53 AM   #13
zimmer

Drives: 2011 Yaris Sedan
Awesome new ride!
zimmer is offline   Reply With Quote