Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-21-2019, 03:51 PM   #163
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

Drives: 07 Yaris rs 3 door 2zr swaped
+1 on too darn cold
I'm gonna follow this rad quest... Interesting...

Xd/2zr-fe Swap/Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61427

Bolt-in 3.75" Suspension Lift Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61577
myfirstyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 07:00 PM   #164
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post

I'll post back when I have more info as this would be good to know for those that want to upgrade their radiator down the road but so far everything seems like it would work. I'll post pictures in a couple days, it is just too darn cold right now to bother
I'll definitely be following this. It will be good to know what rad, hoses (or mods to hoses) are needed. The hatchback has the access window for the A/C compressor that could easily be narrowed making room for a - at least - longer radiator. A larger radiator might come in handy down the road if I do performance upgrades on the 2ZR.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 11:46 AM   #165
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
drive belt part # w/ out a/c

Here is the part # for the Dayco belt I used for an a/c delete:

or
6PK0910

Rock auto also lists a Continental belt, just make sure you order one that that "no a/c"

The belt I removed from the car (I cannot remember the manufacturer) which I ordered from RA when I did my swap only had about 50k km on it. It had a lot of mini cracks along the ribs, enough to warrant replacement. I've seen spread out large cracks which are fine, but this one had a lot of little ones, quite a few every inch. I also noticed that the back side of the belt in one small spot looked like the outer layer was starting the peel off the belt. I used my Gates belt wear tester to check and it had a mild to moderate amount of play meaning that the belt was moderately worn.

The new one had no play as it should. Keep this is mind as I was surprised at how worn the belt was. I'm not sure if this is due to the high constant rpm of the track days I did and the heat that comes along with it, but it was definitely worn. Take note that this belt never once slipped or squealed so it was never worn out from that, it always functioned optimally. I'll post pictures later this week
Old 01-22-2019, 01:11 PM   #166
tmontague

aftermarket radiator info

I braved the cold last night when the kids were asleep and took a bunch of measurements between my Yaris and the Wife's Vibe.

The good:
The Vibe radiator will fit! The width will be snug with about an inch or two on either side, but this will also fill in the complete opening very well. The Vibe radiator is 16" in height compared to the 18" between the Yaris' rad supports. This will need to be filled with a large rad support bushing, or some hammering down on that section of the rad support to close off that gap.

The lower and upper hose from the Vibe appear to be an almost perfect fit. The thermostat neck is positioned almost identical from the 2zr and 1zz. The Vibe upper hose also appears to sneak just underneath of my CAI. The only potential issue will be the Yaris battery which may slightly rub on the edge of the hose. Some trimming of the hose at the engine side will likely fix this issue, but I also won't need to worry as I will be relocating my battery soon.

The bad:
The tricky part that will likely not work is the Vibe factory fan shroud. It is a whopping 4-5" thick from the center of the rad to the engine side. The Vibe had much more space in front of the 1zz to the rad support than the Yaris' does. You can see the Yaris fan shroud is a much slimmer 3" thick design whereas the Vibe coolant reservoir is more traditional is thickness.

The tightest spot in my engine bay to the top rad support is the passenger side where the alternator and alternator bracket is. This is the same location where the Vibe coolant reservoir sits.

The solution would be to run a Mishimoto 12" slimline fan that only has a 2.5" thickness. I can mount it right to the radiator as it is designed to be and I can put it on the driver side where there is much more clearance. I can simply wire it up the the factory wires (ground and power) so it works like it was designed to.

I can then buy a generic coolant overflow bottle and mount it on the driver side near the headlight where there is a lot of space. This is simple as I would only need to run a small rubber hose from the bottle to the filler neck on the passenger side along to top of the rad support.

This seems like the best and cheapest option to ensure a properly function system and keep the most clearance as possible to make wrenching in the future as easy and obstruction free as it can be. I don't want to have to pull the fan and rad every time I need to remove the alternator.

I don't need to run a fan shroud as the size of the new rad will be much larger then the 2zr will ever need. The only time the fan shroud is of benefit is while the car is stopped or in traffic. Even after a 45 min track session, my coolant has never had an issue coming down to 212F with the stock set up. My cololant issues were seen during the long track sessions at WOT and high rpm for most of the time. Once I got 15-20 mins into the session the coolant was 230F.

The fan shroud will technically actually reduce air flow through the rad during driving, this is why the Vibe shroud has slits in the shroud beside the fan. I saw that MWR sells a dual core rad for the Vibe for $150 and a Mishimoto fan is around $60. So under $300 Canadian for the set up is reasonable.

This will not be a simple bolt on as I will have to possibly drill new mounting holes in both rad supports (easy) and cut away some metal from the upper support to fit around the filler neck and rad (fairly easy).

For those that have a 2zr but do not track it, a factory Vibe radiator would likely be more than adequate as it is about 20%-25% larger than the 2zr radiator. There isn't really much need for a dual core unless you heavily track your car or are going boosted. As long as your thermostat is working properly there really isn't much down side to a larger radiator other than excess weight which is minimal
Old 01-22-2019, 05:00 PM   #167
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
I know the sedan has way more clearance in the engine bay behind the headlights due to the fact yours don't go 3/4 the way back to the windshield. Not sure if this is the only spot where clearances differ between HB and sedan. Just raising a highlight since most peeps following you drive hatches.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 01-22-2019, 05:16 PM   #168
06YarisRS

What year is your Vibe, Trevor?

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
Old 01-22-2019, 10:48 PM   #169
tmontague

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
I know the sedan has way more clearance in the engine bay behind the headlights due to the fact yours don't go 3/4 the way back to the windshield. Not sure if this is the only spot where clearances differ between HB and sedan. Just raising a highlight since most peeps following you drive hatches.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk
good point, I hadn't thought of that. That being said, due to where the rad sits and the hoses run, it shouldn't prove to be an issue unless the rad support is narrower. This could be easily figured out if an LB owner just roughly measures the width of the rad support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
What year is your Vibe, Trevor?
it is a 1st gen '05
Old 01-25-2019, 12:11 PM   #170
tmontague

pics of old drive belt

This weekend is looking like it will be -20C, yaaaaay

I will probably just get around to shimming my Throttle pedal and letting it cure all weekend as I don't drive my car much all weekend. I used super glue and a small piece of plastic a couple years ago and it eventually let go. This time I plan on using some JB Weld epoxy which should work very well. The purpose of this is to remove the slack in the throttle pedal that the DBW system has. That "dead zone" essentially does not register with the ecu and does nothing to open the throttle body valve even though the pedal is slightly depressed. This won't help performance at all but it will make it easier to drive around town.

I have attached pics of my old drive belt that I removed from the car when I deleted my a/c. As you can see it is fairly worn in a few areas. If you drive your car at WOT and high rpm's a fair amount then I'd recommend checking the condition of your belt more often. After seeing this, I think I will carry an extra/old belt with me to try track just in case one ever lets go. It's an easy fix if it ever happened and it would be silly to need to pay for a tow just for something so simple.

Last edited by tmontague; 01-25-2019 at 03:08 PM.
tmontague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 03:03 PM   #171
Maritime

Drives: 2008 yaris 5dr hatch
good idea, cheap insurance. I changed my belt when I got my car it had 200K kms on it and started squealing. I am pretty sure it was the original, and looked a lot worse than that one. I have put another 158K on the car so may be time to grab a replacement just in case and throw it on.
Maritime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 12:36 PM   #172
tmontague

New Oil Catch Can Install

I installed my new Oil Catch Can last night - bad idea, -30+C with the wind chill...

My old set up of the dual air compressor air/oil separators was effective but it was always a temporary solution until I had the funds to run a properly installed OCC. I received a gift certificate from work for xmas and I was able to apply it to Amazon.ca so I ended up with a proper catch can. Over a month later and here it is from China. I forgot to take a pic of the actual OCC but here is the set up I went with.

This can has two "grills" or perforated plates/baffles that the intake air goes through. It has a dip stick to check the level and it holds much more than my current set up does. In the really cold winter up here I ended of catching a ton of moisture/water in the can and it fills much earlier than it does in the summer. I was emptying my old set up every week or two and it was mostly water. I needed something with a proper reservoir.

I wanted to mount it lower in the engine bay so water wouldn't freeze in the lines, as well as to keep the COG low and keep it out of the way. The set up probably weighs a few pounds at the most, it is a bit heavier than I expected.

To improve the oil catching ability you need to increase the surface area of material in the can so the oil in the air can be condensed on it and pooled into the reservoir. This can actually comes apart as the baffles are two threaded cups. I placed a small amount of stainless steel wool (it gets contaminated with moisture so make sure it is stainless so it doesn't rust) between the two baffled cups which holds it in place in the air intake stream. I then ziptied a piece of a rough 3m scotch brite around the outside of the baffled cup.

The air that enters the can is forced by the design to go into the baffled cup and then out of it and then out the exhaust hose. With my current design the air will contact the first baffle, then the steel wool, then the second baffle and then the scotch brite pad. The oil will then drip into the reservoir before the air exists and enters the intake manifold behind the throttle body (constant vacuum)

On my old set up I used the steel wool in the first can and the scotch bright pad in the second. Most of the oil was caught in the first can and the second one caught mostly water. It appears that oil is easier to catch in the air than water.

To install the can mounting bracket I used two riv nuts from a cheap tool I purchased from Princess Auto. I purposefully bought the metric one as all the bolts on the Yaris are metric. Turns out the 2 mounting bolts that came with the kit fit in the second smallest riv nut size. I drilled two hole on the crash rail mount and filled it with anti seize so it doesn't rust. I then installed the riv nuts and mounted the can to that. It is surprisingly sturdy and i will definitely be using those riv nuts again, they make quick work is you need threads in thin metal or metal you can only access one side of.

My complaint with the OCC is that the mounting bracket has a silly design when the 2 bolts that actually mount to the catch can are on the side instead of the top. This makes getting an allen key onto them almost impossible depending on how you mount it. Most designs have the bolts on top so nothing is in your way. I will take a hammer and flat punch and dent the crash bar a bit so that I can access the one allen bolt. Currently one is tightened all the way and the other is still on the lose side.

I can check the dip stick very easily with where it is mounted and with a simple reach around I can unscrew and drain the reservoir. This wouldn't work well with the stock air box, but with my CAI I have a lot of room in that area. Once the battery is moved, I'll have even more space. This also shouldn't impede my future Vibe radiator install as I can just mount the fan a but more in the middle to easily clear the OCC.

Before I installed the can I put antiseize on all the threads which made a huge difference in how smooth everything threaded on/off. I also added pipe tape to the hose nipples before I tightened them down. They are not a tapered NPT type thread but a regular thread and they are not the tightest.

I'll post back later on how well the can performs, but assuming it will catch oil as well or better than my old set up, I'm impressed with it for the price. IIRC I paid about $42 CAD for it

Old 02-01-2019, 12:04 PM   #173
tmontague

short update on the OCC. 3 days ago I filled the can about 1/4 full of windshield washer fluid so it wouldn't freeze. I checked the dipstick after the car drove 25km today and got close to operating temps (oil temp at 167F) and it showed full alrthough it isn't easy to read.

I remove the can to see how full it was and sure enough it was 95% full. This all within 3 days and probably 75-100km driven! It has been about -18C to -25C ambient temps here for the past 3 days but clearly the new can and the stuff I added to it are extremely effective.

I think I'll be forgoing the windshield washer fluid as I don't want to be wasting that much every week. As long as I check the can every few days and empty it then I shouldn't have to worry about it freezing and blocking the air flow. So far I'm impressed. Most of what was in the can was water but there was also a milky film on it so there was also some oil as well.
Old 03-20-2019, 08:34 PM   #174
tmontague

The OCC was a big success, it catches about 3 ounces of oil/water (smells like fuel) per week in the cold. It is much more efficient than the last set up

On another note, I bought some new track semi slicks for the upcoming season. Nankang AR1's, relatively new to NA but common in Europe. I'll do a review on them once I get some time with them. They are an 80tw rating and are a 205 50 size

All that's left to go for the car prep before the season is to get Vibe/matrix upper and lower radiator hoses so I can install the performance radiator and install new brake lines in all 4 corners.

I'll be running a 5w40 euro spec oil and swapping out my mt-85 redline trans fluid for mt-90 due to the warmer temps coming (hopefully soon)

I'll be doing a thread on the radiator fit when I get around to it for anyone who wants to do the swap in the future
Old 03-22-2019, 06:55 PM   #175
atomic_hoji

Drives: 2018 Yaris SE 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
The OCC was a big success, it catches about 3 ounces of oil/water (smells like fuel) per week in the cold. It is much more efficient than the last set up

On another note, I bought some new track semi slicks for the upcoming season. Nankang AR1's, relatively new to NA but common in Europe. I'll do a review on them once I get some time with them. They are an 80tw rating and are a 205 50 size
This! I swear my oil had a weird fuel smell, but the Blackstone Labs analysis didn't show anything notable in the sample - seems like another 'glad I'm not the only one' oddity of the 2ZR. lol

Interested to hear how you find the Nankangs. With the influx of more cheap tires it seems some are junk, and some are actually pretty decent for the price point.

Awesome as always. Looking forward to checking it out sometime this summer.

-- Adam
atomic_hoji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 09:46 PM   #176
tmontague

My last oil sample I sent in to Blackstone from the summer stink like fuel. Came back negative on fuel content.

I've read that used oil commonly smells like fuel, I definitely wouldn't be worried.

I'm excited to try these tires out, I'm curious how much my confidence goes up with a more controlable and feedback friendly tire
Old 03-22-2019, 09:52 PM   #177
06YarisRS

Definitely sounds like I should be considering a catch can myself.
You must be itching to try out those new tires.

Old 04-01-2019, 10:26 PM   #178
tmontague

Losing more weight - battery

My old flooded lead acid battery from CT went to crap so I decided on a pricier but more reliable and safer (non spillable since it is now in the cabin) AGM battery. This thing is a beats, smaller in diuameter than the group 36 it replaced but has 655 CCA's and 50 Ah (100 reserve). However, in the rush to grab a new battery I didn't really think of the weight. The AGM battery although smaller, is just as heavy as the old one and probably weighs around 35-45lbs!

I ended up ordering an AGM motorcycle battery online which weighs a claimed 11lbs (probably closer to 12). It is rated at 270 CCA and has 18Ah (36 reserve). This cranks the car barely noticeably slower in 0 degree C temps but has no problem The issue with small batteries is their lack of reserve capacity. This can lead to the battery draining down after a couple days, especially in the cold. I installed it fully charged reading just over 13V and after about 24 hours it was at 12.54V which is about 80% charged. It turned over the engine this morning in -10C temps albeit a bit slower than it typically does.

I bought a small trickle charger/maintainer that I will hook up in the winter if I am going to have the car sit longer than 2 nights. I can leave the maintainer in my car and just hook up an extension cord as needed.

These batteries typically die an early life because people drain them and then jump them. Anytime a battery gets fully drained you can say good bye to it's useful life. AGM's can tolerate lower discharge amounts, but they srtill are not immune to this happening. Best practice is to keep a charger on it if it won't be used for a while. These batteries are also sensitive to heat but this won't be a problem as I have mine in my cabin.

All in all I just lost about 25-35lbs out of my car for very little money ($50 USD shipped with taxes) I had to flip the battery tie down bracket so I had usable threads on the rods but it is holding very tightly and won't budge. I never needed any battery post adaptors as I just unbolted my oem post terminals from my ground and pwer wires and bolted those directly to the motorcycle style terminals with a washer. Simple and effective.

up next is my Vibe radiator install...easter long weekend is looking like a decent time to do it

Last edited by tmontague; 04-02-2019 at 07:15 AM.
tmontague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 09:24 AM   #179
Leegamer

Drives: No longer own a yaris :(
It's so cute.
Old 04-02-2019, 09:47 AM   #180
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

Drives: 07 Yaris rs 3 door 2zr swaped
You need a smaller battery box now!

Xd/2zr-fe Swap/Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61427