Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-17-2009, 02:38 PM   #1
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
wrong transmission fluid?

This TSB has me a little worried:

http://www.etimago.com/yaris/TSB/TS-...0Fluid%20).pdf

So I read in the manual that you shouldn't have to flush the transmission, but I talked to the dealer, and he said if you live in a hilly area, and you are noticing rough shifts, you should probably flush it every 60-90k miles.

So when I'm getting my oil changed they say the transmission fluid needs to be changed(it actually looked a little dirty, and it was shifting hard). This is when I talked to the dealer, and went ahead an had it changed.

Well I hadn't read the TSB at this point, and the dealer didn't seem to care that I was taking it somewhere else to have it flushed, so I didn't see any problems.

The guy at the lube shop said they used "Mercon 7 Universal" which obviously is not genuine toyota ATF WS.

I haven't noticed any bad noised, vibrations, or hard shifting, but it does seem like the lag when downshifting(its automatic) has increased.

Will Mercon 7 mess up my transmission? And if so, is the lube shop liable at all?(I got it changed well after the TSB was released)
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 05:58 PM   #2
Klink10

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Flush it and get the Toyota WS.....there was only one other fluid that I could find that could be used in lieu of Toyota WS and it's made by Red Line. The viscosities etc of other than WS are not designed for our (auto) transmissions. I've even heard of Toyota dealers using their type IV instead. No No.

Also check your owners manual...it says what to only use.
Klink10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 12:08 AM   #3
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
I know it's not what you want to hear, but Klink10 is correct...

PS- Walmarts SuperTech brand has two tranny fluids they claim are compatible with type WS. I can't remember which ones, they say right on the back of the bottle. Would I use Super Tech? Just saying they exhist.
PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 12:15 AM   #4
supmet
Banned

Ya I'm pretty sure the transmission fluid is not correct, and will have to be flushed.

Now my question is: is the lube shop responsible to get me the correct fluid? I would think they would pay the 250 for the dealer to do it, just so they don't end up having to replace my transmission...

I'm almost sure they are required to put the correct fluid in and/or replace the tranny if it suffers any damage, but can't find any exact legislation - anyone know a specific act or law that would cover this? I like to be prepared when I rip service managers a new one.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:39 AM   #5
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Hmmm as far as i know mercon is for domestic vehicles usually and dextron type atf is for import cars such as honda and toyota. I am sure the atf that are cars are supose to take is a dextron type.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 07:20 AM   #6
Klink10

Quote:
Originally Posted by supmet View Post
Ya I'm pretty sure the transmission fluid is not correct, and will have to be flushed.

Now my question is: is the lube shop responsible to get me the correct fluid? I would think they would pay the 250 for the dealer to do it, just so they don't end up having to replace my transmission...

I'm almost sure they are required to put the correct fluid in and/or replace the tranny if it suffers any damage, but can't find any exact legislation - anyone know a specific act or law that would cover this? I like to be prepared when I rip service managers a new one.
You are gonna be hard pressed on that one....they will probably turn it back on you for being a negligent(sp?) owner, not knowing the exact products being used at that particular quick lube and if they are compatible with in this case your car. I would just take the hit, resolve the issue elsewhere and salt the memory away for future reference.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:23 AM   #7
TheSilkySmooth

Drives: 08 3DR 5M Bayou Blue; 09 Fos
Flushing is bad, Especially with a non-compatible hygroscopic fluid as is WS. Usually just partial drain and refill every 36K or not at all due to varnish loosening.
TheSilkySmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 09:26 AM   #8
TheSilkySmooth

Off the web:
Mercon-V ATF with universal applications and is the newest and most dynamic member of U.S. Lubricants’ family of high performance automatic transmission fluids. Because it may be used in virtually every automatic transmission on the road today, this high quality product is the ATF inventory optimizer. It is a special blend of synthetic base oils coupled with a multi-functional additive system to provide unsurpassed protection and reliable performance for most of the automatic transmissions built by most engine and transmission manufacturers from around the world - the one fluid that replaces the confusion about which fluid to use in a multitude of automatic transmissions.
Recommended for use wherever the following requirements are specified: Dexron®, Dexron® II, Dexron® II-D, Dexron® II-E, Dexron® III, Mercon®, Mercon® V, Chrysler ATF+, ATF+2, ATF+3, ATF+4, Mitsubishi Diamond SP II & III, Allison C-3, C-4 and TES-295, Caterpillar PowerShift Transmissions TO-2 & TO-4, Voith ZF Commercial Transmissions, GM Strasbourg and Opel requirements, and those vehicles requiring Honda Z-1 transmission fluids. Recommended for use in almost all vehicles manufactured by, Alfa Romero, American Motors, Audi, BMW, Chrysler, Fiat, Ford, General Motors, Honda/Acura, Infinity, Isuzu, Jeep, Lexus, Mazda, Mercedes Benz, Nissan, Porsche, Renault, Toyota, VW and many more.

This premier product offers excellent year-round protection, superior high-temperature and low-temperature operation, better anti-shudder protection and is compatible with conventional ATF products
Old 02-18-2009, 09:30 AM   #9
TheSilkySmooth

Leave it in and check the hot level if you see a slight performance change. The downshift lag would be determined by ECAT. Nice firm upshifts with no excess slippage? Dont fret your Good to go!
Old 02-18-2009, 09:32 AM   #10
TheSilkySmooth

There is NO reverting, You can't go BACK to ATF-WS now anyhow. Who wants a hygroscopic oil in their tranny anyhow - probably have SHORTER service life with the toyota WS.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:21 AM   #11
Klink10

Well the word flush was used in general terms (as in get rid of). Not gonna argue...just don't see WS in that "off the web" Mercon-V ATF post. I do see where it may be used in "almost all" Toyotas as well as others. I have Googled WS transmission fluid and found countless entries on why you shoudn't. Anyway, if it works and he's happy...great.

Found this on the web also:

http://www.cartechbooks.com/vstore/s..._ID=3578&DID=6
Old 02-18-2009, 04:45 PM   #12
supmet
Banned

Surprise surprise, the lube shop didn't know what they were talking about...

They didn't use mercon 7, they used dexron 7

Still pretty sure it isn't good for the transmission, even though they swear its universal.

And they won't cover anything until there is damage done.. I'm gonna try to talk to a higher up and explain why spending 250 now is better than 1200+ later...

sigh.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:38 PM   #13
PHXDEMON

Drives: 2007 Red Liftback
Just swap it with a manually tranny. Problem solved
PHXDEMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 11:27 PM   #14
supmet
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXDEMON View Post
Just swap it with a manually tranny. Problem solved
you have no idea how tempting that is :P
Old 02-19-2009, 04:01 PM   #15
firemachine69
School'er of hard knocks

Drives: Silver Yaris 4dr. HB
I love how they recommend inspecting the fliud so frequently, yet turning around and saying it should never be changed...
firemachine69 is offline   Reply With Quote