Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-25-2009, 11:03 AM   #37
RYSIRAY
RYSIRAY50'

Drives: '05 YR Silver
Send a message via ICQ to RYSIRAY
Just joined YarisWorld and came aross this most interesting thread.Re - using colours other than black , if one were to dye a grey bit of plastic red and let it cool and then dye it red again ,do you think that the colour would deepen ?
RYSIRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 04:04 PM   #38
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb
yes, also the amount of dye you use and the amount of time you leave it to turn in the dye, the deeper the color. I tested two parts, both for different length of time and the color was deeper in the longer dyed piece.
KCALB SIRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 07:56 PM   #39
Gideon
★weeaboo★

Drives: 2008 Bayou LB
Just wanted to thank KCALB SIRAY for the awesome DIY!

I needed to color my vent pieces black to match my RS interior pieces I was installing and didn't feel like going the rattlecan route.

(Sorry for the crappy picture, the sun was in an annoying spot)

It looks perfect to me, the picture makes the vents look lighter than what they are, but they are a nice flat black.

One thing I noticed is that the bottom vent angling "wheels" do not dye very well. They're not as light as they look in the picture, but they're not nearly as dark as the vents and this is after leaving them in the dye twice for about a half hour.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 08:38 PM   #40
advocate

Drives: car
Wow James the head unit is in Japanese haha that's crazy. BTW the new trim looks really good and the AC vents don't look too bad but they are fully open so it's hard to see just how they came out.
advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 10:16 PM   #41
Gideon
★weeaboo★

Oh whoops, yeah I should've closed one vent to show it off a bit better.

It got too dark to take a good picture, and using the flash makes the color look off, so this is the best to show the color although it's blurry as hell:

Oh and the stereo is in English, it was just displaying the title of a minidisc I had in, and it happened to have a Japanese title. (An import of Moby's 18 from Japan if you were at all curious. ;P)
Old 10-10-2009, 10:38 PM   #42
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Drives: トヨタ Vitz
wow you didnt waste any time....Love the amber lights on the headunit and climate controls :D
Now you just need the amber cluster to go w/ it all ;)

The wheels for the vent adjustment looks fine to me in color comparison..maybe because of the pic. I still like it better than our light gray ones...
Are the JDM ones as dark as the gloss black or were they always lighter? Can't remember....

BTW, did you ever figure out what that button w/ all the kanji was for? lol

Last edited by Kioshi; 10-10-2009 at 10:59 PM.
Kioshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 11:14 PM   #43
Gideon
★weeaboo★

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kioshi View Post
wow you didnt waste any time....Love the amber lights on the headunit and climate controls :D
Now you just need the amber cluster to go w/ it all ;)
Ughhhhh, don't remind me.

The RS shows them as flat black, and not as dark, but still pretty dark. I think this is a good solution until I can find one, lol.

Oh, and the button immediately turns the radio on and tunes it to an AM station and it displays "TRAFFIC" on the screen, so I assume it's for traffic updates!
Old 10-10-2009, 11:23 PM   #44
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Drives: トヨタ Vitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
Ughhhhh, don't remind me.

The RS shows them as flat black, and not as dark, but still pretty dark. I think this is a good solution until I can find one, lol.

Oh, and the button immediately turns the radio on and tunes it to an AM station and it displays "TRAFFIC" on the screen, so I assume it's for traffic updates!
I'm sure you can find 'another' one....soon you'll be the JDM whore of this place

Traffic updates on a stock headunit
Kioshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 09:50 AM   #45
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
Just wanted to thank KCALB SIRAY for the awesome DIY!

I needed to color my vent pieces black to match my RS interior pieces I was installing and didn't feel like going the rattlecan route.

It looks perfect to me, the picture makes the vents look lighter than what they are, but they are a nice flat black.

One thing I noticed is that the bottom vent angling "wheels" do not dye very well. They're not as light as they look in the picture, but they're not nearly as dark as the vents and this is after leaving them in the dye twice for about a half hour.
Looks great
Old 10-13-2009, 01:01 PM   #46
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
I dyed my center vent too and while it looked great for a while , the dye has faded a bit and they look like a very dark purple now. Think I'm going to just paint them this time.

Just an FYI to those considering this.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 02:06 PM   #47
Banned

Drives: '10 Yaris5drHB+99 4runner LTD
plastic from the factory-extremely resistant to UV
RIT dye...no resistance to UV

be warned....some time in the sun, 2 years later, what will it look like ?
will the Yaris resale go up or down ?
127.0.0.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 02:20 PM   #48
Gideon
★weeaboo★

Or will the owner just purchase new vents from a wrecked Yaris for dirt cheap a few years from now?
Old 10-13-2009, 03:31 PM   #49
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

so far no problems on the pieces I dyed.
Old 10-13-2009, 03:40 PM   #50
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

303 Aerospace Protectant spray on would cure this problem if your having any. works great on boats and worked great on my Jeep soft top so should work in this application.
Old 11-01-2009, 06:49 PM   #51
PatrickJohnson

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
regularly using interior protectant will take care of the UV too. FYI, I'm in the middle of dying mine right now. I've noticed that certain pieces take WAY longer to dye. For example, the hooks your visor snaps into took about 1.5 minutes to go PITCH black, but I've been dying the door trim pieces off and on for hours now and they are just now turning black. So far, i've dyed my air conditioning vents and I used truck bed liner spray to paint the center console. It looks pretty badass. Once I get these door pieces done, I may dye the visors next weekend. Then I'll still have the back seat trim and the headliner, then I'll be all black!
PatrickJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 07:34 PM   #52
Sodium Duck
╚══════════RN

Drives: 2008 Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Sodium Duck
Post pics.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:10 PM   #53
PatrickJohnson

Okay, so this TOTALLY didn't work out for me. I left those door pieces in off and on, checking periodically, for over 2 hours. Hey just turned a dull blueish. I'm thinking maybe not enough dye in the mix. ANyhow, I gave up and sprayed them black like I did with the center console. I'll get to the large trim piece on the doors next weekend. I'll post pics later of the progress so far. The vent pieces and the visor clips are all I was successful at.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:27 AM   #54
PatrickJohnson