Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-23-2013, 08:03 AM   #307
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
The raised markings on the head actually indicate the grade (strength) of the bolt. The "No. 2" is just the name of the bolts relative to their position.
Oh . Well, I assume all is correct re those bolts on my Yaris. When the manager saw the picture of the underside of your Yaris with the red circles you drew, he said something about that being it..that he could tell from the head of the bolt. I got the old bolts back (in my hands when I left), and driving = .
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 09:36 PM   #308
TOLMACH

Drives: soarer
Just got my bolts.. these are HUGE

Do you guys think I would be able to replace these using the ramps like below&?

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/pr...l#.Upvx6sSxf1Y

Or shall I high jack each side separately so that there was no load on the wheel?

Thx
TOLMACH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 10:29 PM   #309
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOLMACH View Post
Just got my bolts.. these are HUGE

Do you guys think I would be able to replace these using the ramps like below&?

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/pr...l#.Upvx6sSxf1Y

Or shall I high jack each side separately so that there was no load on the wheel?

Thx
I think the ramps would be fine. As you start to loosen the bolt, if you notice that the A arm starts to move away from the chassis, then stop and jack it instead, but I don't think that will be the case.
Old 12-02-2013, 01:09 AM   #310
TOLMACH

Drives: soarer
^ Thanks
TOLMACH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 03:24 PM   #311
CTScott
ULTIMATE

OK - This finally got me good. I decided to change the bolts on an 07 LB that I recently bought from someone in Ohio and I barley got the first one out without it snapping (and could not believe how bad it was). The second one snapped with barely any force applied, so I am now in the process of figuring out how to get it out.

In the meantime, here's a picture of the first one. The pile of stuff next to it came pouring out of its hole, once I removed the bolt.

Control Arm Bolt - Rusted.jpg
Old 12-14-2013, 04:37 PM   #312
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
OMG that is nasty. Now I'm truly scared shitless to see what they look like on my '06. She's now entering her 9th winter.
Old 12-14-2013, 04:47 PM   #313
NEexpat

Drives: 2009, auto, 4dr LB
This is exactly why I haven't attempted to replace these myself ".....so I am now in the process of figuring out how to get it out."

I check mine periodically to see if the bolt heads are still there and whenever the yari is at the dealer I ask them to check them, they always say they are fine. Of course I don't know what their "inspection" involves.

Scott let us know what wizardary you employ to get that out. I would guess some drilling and a broken bolt extractor. Big extractor.

One day I may slide under there with a breaker bar and give them a crack, I won't be doing it in my garage or driveway, I'll be doing it in the big chain parking lot adjacent to the dealer so if I shear one off, I'll be about 200 yards away.
NEexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 06:42 PM   #314
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEexpat View Post
This is exactly why I haven't attempted to replace these myself ".....so I am now in the process of figuring out how to get it out."

I check mine periodically to see if the bolt heads are still there and whenever the yari is at the dealer I ask them to check them, they always say they are fine. Of course I don't know what their "inspection" involves.

Scott let us know what wizardary you employ to get that out. I would guess some drilling and a broken bolt extractor. Big extractor.

One day I may slide under there with a breaker bar and give them a crack, I won't be doing it in my garage or driveway, I'll be doing it in the big chain parking lot adjacent to the dealer so if I shear one off, I'll be about 200 yards away.
Right now I am thinking that your course of action is the smart one. I sill do not have it out yet. The nut that it screws into is at the top, so drilling up from the bottom to use the bolt extractor will likely result in just snapping the bolt off half way up.

I tried dropping the subframe to give me access to the broken bolt, but that bolt jams the subframe into place, where I can not pry it off of the car. I am now working in the passenger foot well to gain access to the top of the bolt. I realized that the triangular plastic piece under the carpet is in about the correct place for the top of the bolt. Unfortunately the bolt is offset to the hole, where I can see it, but accessing it requires drilling a hole above it.

I drilled a 3/4" access hole directly above it, as I realized with another one of the bolts that a 12mm socket grips the taper of the top of the bolt. Unfortunately though the 12mm pops off when you apply serious torque, so I think my next attempt will be a bolt extractor from above.
Old 12-14-2013, 08:48 PM   #315
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEexpat View Post

I'm so glad I recently got new bolts and had them put in. The heads looked good, but there was rust on the threads of both of my original bolts (and my Yaris has only been exposed to fewer than 10 days of 'wimpy snow' here and not many more days re ice exposure.....and, IIRC, zero road salt exposure). We do, however, get a fair amount of rain from big storms that dump quite a bit of rain in a short period of time .

The head of the bolt, at least in some cases, doesn't seem to tell the whole story. This leads me to think that the only way to thoroughly check them is to remove them.....and if you're going to do that, or have it done, they might as well be replaced with new ones.
Old 12-14-2013, 09:52 PM   #316
CTScott
ULTIMATE

^Indeed. The heads on both of these looked fine, which is why I gave them a go.

I finally broken the sub frame free. The only thing holding it was the bond between the bolt and its metal sleeve on the A arm. A couple hours of PB Blaster, pounding, prying, torching, and bleeding and it suddenly popped free.

Tomorrow I will weld a nut onto the bolt and see if I can free it.

Control Arm Bolt - Broken.jpg
Old 12-14-2013, 11:10 PM   #317
CB900F2

Drives: 08 Sedan
^^^^^^ dam!! I sure hope the tsb that what done my yaris a couple of years ago resolved this issue...
CB900F2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 11:56 PM   #318
nookandcrannycar

^^^^^ Wow, that is quite a sight. Better if the break hadn't happened at all, but thank goodness it didn't happen while the 'Ohio owner' was driving the car (we all know it wouldn't happen if you decided to drive it for even a week before selling it.....would have to meet your standard first).

Last edited by nookandcrannycar; 12-15-2013 at 12:07 AM.
Old 12-15-2013, 11:36 AM   #319
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Welding on a nut worked like a charm. The broken bolt is now out.

While searching for some info on how Toyota deals with the broken ones I ran into a case where someone had one replaced before the TSB, and they paid for 7 hours of labor (over $600) and $10 for the bolt. I can definitely understand they labor part after dealing with this myself.

Here's the big nut welded on:

Welded Nut.jpg

And, here's the broken bolt, finally freed:

Bolt Out.jpg
Old 12-15-2013, 11:38 AM   #320
NEexpat

Drives: 2009, auto, 4dr LB
What a nightmare this entire issue is.

I realize the problem lies beneath the bolt head. Unfortunately I have neither the inclination nor expertise to jack or ramp up my car and take a swing at these things.

Look at what Scott just went through, I was sweating bullets when I was splicing into wires for my keyless entry for fear I would screw something up .

I just went through a front brake job where the inside of the rotors were awful. I have no doubt in my mind my bolts are corroding and for now I just have to rely on the dealership to tell me they are ok.

Months ago I thought of contacting Scott and suggesting, when he generously offered his garage and services for a get together, that I would order and buy pairs of bolts for those who would come and wanted that done, interest waned so I never did.

Imagine if it had worked out and what happened with Scott's recent bolt adventure had happened to another member. I am grateful none of it ever took place, I for one would have felt terrible about it.

I think once the originals are out and new ones are in, I would then replace them every year, fiquring the odds of them not shearing off were now in my favor, but the first ones, no thanks.

Last edited by NEexpat; 12-15-2013 at 12:03 PM.
NEexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 11:48 AM   #321
CTScott
ULTIMATE

^Exactly. I suspect that everyone who lives where salt is used on the roads is in exactly the same situation. Replacing them yearly truly makes sense.

After spending many hours under there I also now understand where the seam sealant needs to be applied to reduce the water entry and will post a DIY on that as well. Seam sealing will not completely eliminate the issue, but it will definitely help, as there is a pocket above the subframe that can collect water and then drip it into the bolt's sleeve.
Old 12-15-2013, 03:38 PM   #322
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
there is a pocket above the subframe that can collect water and then drip it into the bolt's sleeve.
A-ha...I imagine this might be a contributing factor as to why I had rust (given my very low exposure to snow/ice/road salt and large exposure to a lot of rain per storm).
Old 12-15-2013, 11:21 PM   #323
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
Toyota needs to make it mandatory . They won't because a T.S.B. saves them money . The past 5 years has diminished our faith in Toyota . Before that we were avid fans .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 11:51 PM   #324
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershey View Post
Toyota needs to make it mandatory . They won't because a T.S.B. saves them money . The past 5 years has diminished our faith in Toyota . Before that we were avid fans .
Even after going through the nightmare of replacing the broken one, I really don't blame this on Toyota as much as I do on the people who choose the Winter chemicals to use on our roads.

The difference in corrosion between the 2007 100K+ mile California Yaris that I recently parted out and this 2007 70K mile Ohio Yaris is incredible.

Recently I was chatting with a guy who works for the CT highway department and he was telling me about how bad the trucks that spray the road chemicals disintegrate in a single season, and it is just plain scary.