Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-23-2007, 02:21 PM   #19
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Sorry, I skipped right over that post.

Taken straight from the NST GB thread...

Quote:
1. Regarding Light Weight pulleys vs Underdrive pulleys.

There is a ton of info about these concepts on our website and I will share just a tad with you here, you can look on our site or ask me on AIM and I can explain more. Also a lot of this info has been posted elsewhere on the internet by many of our customers and friends...

There are two benefits to NST pulleys. One is weight reduction, the other underdrive. Weight reduction leads to extra throttle response and a bit of HP and TQ being freed up and sent to the wheels. Underdriving from the crank pulley means sending less power to run the accessories, thus sending even more HP and TQ to the wheels.

The pulley we are offering you guys is of the first variety, it is an OEM diameter, lightweight crank pulley. We call this CR-Lite.

I will share some pics with you in the near future, but know this for now... The design of your crank case and your OEM crank pulley make it very difficult to design an underdrive crank pulley small enough to actually do any underdriving! If we could do more for you, we probably would, believe me.

Also, an underdrive crank pulley would slow your A/C and alternator by a tad, and many of you complain about your A/Cs being weak as they are. Most of you do not seem to want them any weaker.

90% of the time I am actually in favor of an underdrive crank pulley... but after doing some research I have come to the conclusion that for your Yaris a CR-Lite may actually be the best fit and best option.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 02:39 PM   #20
YarisGuy

Drives: 2006 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by CASTREX View Post
Chino would you share a bit of that TON of knowledge...?

I don't know if this has been answered here before... but do you happen to know why NSt didn't underdrive their yaris pulley? Their Scion pulleys are underdrived. Just wanted to know if there's a reason for this.
I asked about this as well. This has been discussed on page 2 of the NST group buy thread:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3239

My understanding is that a smaller crank pulley would not fit well on our car.
YarisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 02:44 PM   #21
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Drives: Yaris T-Sport 2008
Thanks guys...!

Can't wait for my pulley to come... just a couple more weeks
CASTREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 05:01 PM   #22
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Drives: 07 Yaris LB, 04 Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles View Post
Okay, some of you still aren't convinced. Here is a couple more reasons.

First of all, weights...
ZPI pulley - 14.4 oz
NST pulley - 12.5 oz

Second of all, has anyone noticed that ZPI's pulleys don't come anodized? Hard anodizing does more than just make your pulley look pretty. It actually makes the pulley stronger. Aluminum is a rather soft metal by design, but hard anodized aluminum is stronger and will resist the sands of time better than untreated aluminum. ZPI will charge you 20 bucks extra to anodize your pulley. NST includes anodizing at no extra charge. They don't cut corners.
Charles,

Just a couple points here. I don't believe the NST pullies are HARD anodized. Correct me if I am wrong, I just hadn't seen that anywhere on the specs.

Anodizing is a chemical change on the surface of the alumnium. It does not actually make the metal stronger, just puts a tough wear resistant layer on the material. In hard anodizing, that layer is very similiar chemically to sapphire and it is more wear resistant than a regular anodized surface, or raw alumnium.

As I said above, the $5 extra for the anodized (hard or not) NST part is worth it in my book. It also seems the NST piece is a couple ounces lighter, which no one will ever notice one way or the other, but it is what it is.
largeorangefont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 05:42 PM   #23
magoo_lc1

Drives: honda civic hatch
I say make your own choice. Do the homwork and buy the one you want. Competition only heps us all out. I dont think either would benefit us that much. Im not a engineer so there is a fantastic chance im wrong.

The influence of peers on individual behavior illustrates the seductive power of conformity

And, I don't mind at all being looked down upon by purists. Indeed I don't mind at all being looked down upon by those whom I do not look up to at
magoo_lc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 02:32 AM   #24
ChinoCharles
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by largeorangefont View Post
Charles,

Just a couple points here. I don't believe the NST pullies are HARD anodized. Correct me if I am wrong, I just hadn't seen that anywhere on the specs.

Anodizing is a chemical change on the surface of the alumnium. It does not actually make the metal stronger, just puts a tough wear resistant layer on the material. In hard anodizing, that layer is very similiar chemically to sapphire and it is more wear resistant than a regular anodized surface, or raw alumnium.

As I said above, the $5 extra for the anodized (hard or not) NST part is worth it in my book. It also seems the NST piece is a couple ounces lighter, which no one will ever notice one way or the other, but it is what it is.
Ashley, I am 99% sure I was told that these are in fact hard anodized, but I will double check that information.
Old 02-24-2007, 02:52 AM   #25
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Drives: 07 Yaris LB, 04 Cobra
Quote:
Ashley, I am 99% sure I was told that these are in fact hard anodized, but I will double check that information.
If they are then all the better!!
largeorangefont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 01:57 PM   #26
YarisGuy

Drives: 2006 Yaris
When in doubt, it might be wise to do a quick search of the manufaturer's website for information

http://www.nonstoptuning.com/pKitToyYaris.htm

Here's an excerpt:

Each NST Yaris Kit is carefully crafted from 6061-T6 aircraft aluminum, tested and balanced to high tolerances. Every NST pulley is hard anodized for exceptional durability and is a great item for use at the track or on the street. Available in your choice of colors: Red, Blue, or Graphite Gray.
YarisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 12:37 AM   #27
ChinoCharles
Banned

There you have it.
Old 02-25-2007, 01:43 AM   #28
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Quote:
There you have it.
yeah, n00b, search, dammit, you n00b

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 01:47 AM   #29
ChinoCharles
Banned

Thomas, you can start shit when my STICKER GETS HERE.

ROFL!
Old 02-25-2007, 01:57 AM   #30
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
*whistles innocently, walks away*

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 02-25-2007, 02:03 AM   #31
ChinoCharles
Banned

We still love ya Thomas, you sexy French Yaris pimp you.
Old 02-25-2007, 02:14 AM   #32
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

dude get yourself to bed, you're starting to scare me

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 02-25-2007, 09:37 PM   #33
elsteverino889

Drives: 2007 Yaris sedan black
NST!
elsteverino889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 12:37 AM   #34
evilreign

Drives: Yaris
I've had NST products on my other ride and was very happy with them. Damn good value for the price. Plus their customer service was exceptional. I got very quick replies with any questions or support I needed.

NST FTW!
evilreign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 09:54 PM   #35
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

From ChinoCharle's DIY Thread:
Quote:
OEM Toyota Pulley - 50.00 oz
ZPI pulley - 14.4 oz
NST pulley - 12.5 oz

The DIY has been edited to include this information. Thanks for your PATIENCE.
ZPI - 71.2% reduction
NST - 75% reduction

IMO with this small difference there should really be no tangible advantage between the two, especially when you consider other pulleys and the flywheel, so it should really be a matter of personal preference

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 03-04-2007, 03:34 PM   #36
ROCKLANDTOYOTA
JOE GIRTH

Drives: YARIS 3DOOR
is there any actual performance numbers for any of the yaris pully's????