Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-13-2010, 01:56 PM   #1
Eatoman

Drives: '07 Yaris 5dr HB
DIY Keyless Entry?

Hello!
I have a 2007 Yaris HB with factory power locks. I bought the car used, and it did not come with a key remote. All I have is a standard key, not chipped.
The switch to lock/unlock the doors is located on the center console, right above the hand break. The only way I can unlock all doors from the outside is by inserting the key in the door and turning the key twice.
Would it be possible to get a remote to unlock the doors? Do I need to get extra hardware to make this possible?

Thanks!
Eatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 02:17 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
There are quite a few threads on this if you do some searching for the keyword "keyless". At least one person here has installed the OEM keyless system, but it is quite expensive. The easier/less expensive option is to install an aftermarket keyless entry system. My 09 came with factory power, but not keyless, so I installed an Ultrastart remote starter with keyless entry.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 03:48 PM   #3
Eatoman

I happen to have a remote car starter collecting dust in my garage which I never installed on my old car since I was planning to get rid of it. So you're saying that if the car starter remote has the "Lock/Unlock" buttons, it's possible to get keyless entry?
How easy or difficult is it to install a remote car starter?
Old 09-13-2010, 04:33 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eatoman View Post
I happen to have a remote car starter collecting dust in my garage which I never installed on my old car since I was planning to get rid of it. So you're saying that if the car starter remote has the "Lock/Unlock" buttons, it's possible to get keyless entry?
How easy or difficult is it to install a remote car starter?
Correct, if the remote starter is type that includes keyless entry, you can use it. I put together a guide for the wiring for hooking up a remote starter with keyless entry:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...ght=diy+remote
Old 09-14-2010, 04:52 PM   #5
Eatoman

Thanks for the info CTScott. One last question: My car has a kill switch installed. How will this affect the installation of the remote starter?
Old 09-14-2010, 08:06 PM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Thanks for the info CTScott. One last question: My car has a kill switch installed. How will this affect the installation of the remote starter?
The stater kill switch will need to be overridden by the remote starter, so the remote starter stater wire will need to connect to the "other side" of where the kill switch does its thing.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:31 AM   #7
Eatoman

Ok, here's a little more info on my starter. It's a Prostart CT-3371, 2 in 1 remote starter with keyless entry. It's a 4 button remote which also includes trunk release. Would the trunk release option work on a hatchback Yaris?
Old 09-16-2010, 11:37 AM   #8
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Ok, here's a little more info on my starter. It's a Prostart CT-3371, 2 in 1 remote starter with keyless entry. It's a 4 button remote which also includes trunk release. Would the trunk release option work on a hatchback Yaris?
The trunk release would require additional hardware. It will lock/unlock as is, but to make it pop, would require a solenoid to "push" the button on the hatch and a set of poppers (spring loaded devices which lift the hatch a bit once the button is pressed).
Old 09-16-2010, 01:00 PM   #9
Eatoman

Thanks again for the info! The trunk release isn't really a necessity for me, as long as it unlocks
I just got a quote from a Prostart certified technician. Here are the numbers:
Base installation: $135
Door Lock/Unlock wiring: $33

These prices don't include taxes.

So what do u think? Is it worth the price, or is it simple enough to take on as a DIY project? I have absolutely 0 skills in this sort of thing.

I guess I'll go ahead and pay for the installation - It'll save me the headaches!
Unless of course there's someone on this forum within the Montreal area who can do this at a cheaper price?
Old 09-16-2010, 01:28 PM   #10
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Thanks again for the info! The trunk release isn't really a necessity for me, as long as it unlocks
I just got a quote from a Prostart certified technician. Here are the numbers:
Base installation: $135
Door Lock/Unlock wiring: $33

These prices don't include taxes.

So what do u think? Is it worth the price, or is it simple enough to take on as a DIY project? I have absolutely 0 skills in this sort of thing.

I guess I'll go ahead and pay for the installation - It'll save me the headaches!
Unless of course there's someone on this forum within the Montreal area who can do this at a cheaper price?

Under $200 is not a bad price, considering that if you've never done this type of thing before, it might take you an entire weekend to do.
Old 09-16-2010, 01:51 PM   #11
Eatoman

Great! thanks for your feedback CT! You've been of tremendous help! I'll go with the certified installation and I'll post back as soon as it gets done...within the next few weeks hopefully!