Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-07-2013, 10:02 PM   #1
eastmeon
I've made a post!

Drives: 2007 5 speed Yaris
Very Loud AC/Heater Blower Only works on high

Hello - I'm new to this forum where I hope to get some direction on my issue that Im having with my 2007 Yaris.

A few weeks ago the AC blower began to make a humming noise regardless of which of the the 4 speeds was being used. The higher the speed, the louder the noise ....and a vibration was felt on speeds 3 & 4. Now the fan will only work on 4 & of course the noise is beyond loud and the vibration can be felt all around the glove box area. I would guess soon it won't even blow on speed 4.

I've been googling my issue and have read things like replacing a resistor or the blower. My husband is handy with cars so if this is something that can be easily remedied, he'll give it a shot. If not I'll go to the dealer but from my last experience which was not the best I'd sooner avoid that if possible.

Any ideas or suggestions on what this could be is appreciated and I'll relay to him if what replies I get. If this should be checked by a process of elimination scenario, what would be checked first? Lastly if there's a site to suggest for parts, that would be appreciated as well.

it's hot in So. Fl. & I can't be left with no ac

thanks in advance to any and all for input.
eastmeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:07 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
It is likely a bad blower fan. It is easily removed by removing the three screws from the bottom of the fan housing (above the passenger footwell). Removing it will also allow you to see if something fell down into the fan, making it difficult for it to spin up.