Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-07-2019, 12:35 PM   #19
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

Drives: light blue liftback
Not my success, someone else broke it not me, I'm just a tester.

I'm not sure a MS is compatible with the 1NZ timing pattern, that's why I was running a AEM series 2. I also don't think you can run dual VVT with it as well.

While I like the standalone ECU for some of its features, I really hate some of the problems that it has, it can be difficult to start because the ignition sync takes forever, throttle control sucks unless you convert it to cable throttle which isn't ideal. You also lose a ton of the safety features the stock ECU provides which can't be matched with aftermarket ECU's but there are certain occasions where the stock ECU is going to be a limiting factor, like in some turbo applications and such since it can't take the additional sensors.

I wouldn't be concerned at all modifying the DBW tables if they're available but the complaints I'm hearing are likely from other issues.

Honestly once I got rid of the heavy flywheel I stopped having laggy throttle its not even something I've noticed on my race engines.
Old 08-07-2019, 05:35 PM   #20
suprf1y

Drives: 05 Echo
If I recall from when I looked into it, the problem with MS is the DBW, though I think it starts to get pricey with VVT
suprf1y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 07:45 PM   #21
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

The series 2 has that problem as well and you have to run the aftermarket and factory ecu in order to control the throttle. Alot of aftermarket ecus have probelms with the Toyota cam timing since it's a weird pattern.
Old 08-09-2019, 07:05 PM   #22
ezhacker1

Drives: Decepticon - Ravage
i used to use a Throttle Controller. only thing that happens if it fails is the car throws a Throttle voltage code and car goes into Limp mode. which means you gotta mash it to get it to even rev a little.

Check out my Build thread:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52274
ezhacker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 08:01 AM   #23
fredovvti

Drives: Yaris 07 HB
Here in Puerto Rico a guy crack all ready all Toyota Ecu's. He can adjust the ECU for fuel economy and for extra horse power. You can check him in facebook by Wilson Chip Tunning
fredovvti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 11:30 AM   #24
invader166
Pumpman

Drives: 2019 Kia Soul EV Base
Just an quick FYI.

If anyone is looking for a quick and simple Plug-and-Play solution to increase power or fuel economy, there's always VOLO. They've recently launched their new VP16 touchscreen programmer, and now the old VP15 is on sale for 50% off.

https://volochip.com/products/vp16-t...wer-programmer

Last edited by invader166; 08-10-2019 at 11:52 AM.
invader166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 08:16 PM   #25
SirDigby

Drives: 2007 yaris 3 door
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader166 View Post
i wonder what's going on here...
SirDigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 08:55 PM   #26
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
I messaged Wilson Chip Tuning what follows. I don't know much about ECUs, but I'll post back their response if they are ok with my doing so.

"Hi. I read on yarisworld.com that you have figured out how to do some programming to most Toyota ECUs. I have a Toyota Yaris with a Corolla 1.8 2ZR-FE engine and an installed turbokits.com turbo kit. I'm using the AEM F/IC but probably should have purchased a standalone ECU. I cannot control partial throttle fueling in closed loop. Can you make changes that will force the car into open loop when boost starts other than full throttle? Or is there something you can change in the ECU so that I can have richer AFR under partial throttle boost. Thank you very much....I forgot to mention that I am using a Scion xD automatic transmission ECU."

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 10:33 PM   #27
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

Testing on the ECU has gone quite well, car runs just fine and does everything I need it to.

Company that does it is FTG Tuning up in Washington FTGtuning@gmail.com, if anyone wants to try and duplicate my results.
Old 08-27-2019, 10:49 PM   #28
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnamerxx View Post
Testing on the ECU has gone quite well, car runs just fine and does everything I need it to.

Company that does it is FTG Tuning up in Washington FTGtuning@gmail.com, if anyone wants to try and duplicate my results.
I am going to send them the same questions I asked Wilson Chip Tuning. Do you think what I'm asking is possible? If I could do away with the FIC altogether, I would. Not sure if the changes to the stock ECU programming would be appropriate for a boosted (even low boost) application. Care to speculate on any of this? Thanks.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
Old 08-27-2019, 11:25 PM   #29
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

I can't say it seems like a hard way to try and get a alpha N tune for part throttle. It seems like it would be easier to use the factory logic and just tune the car using that, but I don't know what kind of sensors can be integrated into the ecu.
Old 08-27-2019, 11:55 PM   #30
06YarisRS

I don't know if it's feasible to trigger open loop by interrupting the AFR sensor signal on my setup (Scion xD ECU). I'm doing some reading on the Mazda forums where high AFRs during part throttle boost were addressed by using a vacuum powered switch that goes to an open circuit when boost is present. It effectively cuts the signal to the ECU as soon as there is positive pressure. I don't know if this would actually send my ECU into open loop and if there would be any other complications if it did. Probably a revised fuel map would be needed. I also read about a fellow who altered the TPS sensor signal to fool the ECU into thinking it was at WOT. Finally, I read one post in which a guy was told by his tuner that around 14.5 AFR is ok under partial throttle. Although I'll probably be running around 7 psi, I would worry about these partial throttle AFRs. Having an automatic trans isn't ideal at WOT as it kicks down and really revs. Anyway, I didn't intend to hijack the thread. It will be interesting to see what all can be modified in the ECU.

Old 08-28-2019, 05:27 PM   #31
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
Happen to know if he could do anything for a supercharged 1NZ from an echo?
Old 08-29-2019, 11:09 AM   #32
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

I'm not sure, you'd have to ask, I'd have to imagine he could but its not something I can confirm.
Old 08-29-2019, 01:49 PM   #33
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
What is a ballpark whp number from non dyno tuning an ecu and nust remapping it to run on 93 by advancing timing?

I'm seriously contemplating have my ecu mapped for 93 and raiding rpm limit to 7500
Old 08-29-2019, 02:44 PM   #34
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

I can't say for 93 since I've always tuned my engines for 100 but I wouldn't imagine you'd get more than 1-2hp going up to 100.

On the stock engine with my long tubes\CAI\and a ECU tune, I could get between 134-141 on Churchs dyno, which is about 120-125 give or take on a mustang dyno. Same dyno same car made 120 on Churchs dyno with a DC racing header and nothing else. So tune was worth give or take about 10hp, but this is all on a 1nz not a 2zr so results may vary.
Old 08-29-2019, 09:02 PM   #35
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Hmm, interesting results you posted. I would expect the 2zr to do slightly better due to larger displacement but that is a guess.

An extra 10ish whp combined with a high rev limit would make the car faster in a lap at TMP. There are a couple of back to back turns where I am at the top end of 2nd gear, but 3rd is a little too tall for the turn.
Old 08-30-2019, 12:33 AM   #36
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

To hats basically the reason I have the rev limiter bumped, stock cammed engine is dead around 6k so no power up top. 1nz was pretty detuned from the factory with really small cams, so there is allot to be had with certain kinds of work, if 2 zr is the same you should expect similar results.