Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-02-2016, 07:39 AM   #19
Lightrfire

Drives: 2007 Yaris hatch
Crap you are absolutely right.... I forgot to add oil. I'll try again today after work
Lightrfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 06:40 PM   #20
Lightrfire

Just a quick update.. Tried the compression test again with oil and I'm getting 180 in cyl 1 and 4. 2 and 3 are only around 120 in cyl 2 and 3. I pulled the valve cover off and cranked the motor by hand and the cam gears line up perfectly including the chain paint marks. Is there a timing mark on the crank pulley? Or does it need to be removed and checked on the crank sprocket in the timing cover? If the timing is ok then the only thing I can think of is just to swap the motor unless there are any other ideas. I'm thinking when the fuel pump died the motor leaned out and burned a piston or valve because there is no other plausible explanation.
Old 03-04-2016, 07:08 PM   #21
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
You'll see a notch on the crank pulley that should line up with the 0 on the 0-10 ruler that sticks off of the timing cover and sits just above the crank pulley.

When installing the crank pulley you match the hole on it with a small metal dowel/tab that comes out of the crank shaft. This is to ensure the crank pulley is in line with the crankshaft correctly.

Judging by your numbers a valve is gone in each cylinder or the timing is somehow off (doubtful). The only way I know of confirming th is by taking the head off. Bit of a pain due to having to remove the timing cover.
Old 03-05-2016, 08:22 AM   #22
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
If you can get a leak down tester or simply hook compressed air up to each cylinder you'll be able to confirm where the leak is coming from.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 05:19 PM   #23
sv650steve

Drives: accord (for now)
I know this sounds obvious but pull the check dip stick, i've seen engines fill up with gas after flooding, and refuse to start. Probably not the problem but it's worth checking.
sv650steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 06:04 PM   #24
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv650steve View Post
I know this sounds obvious but pull the check dip stick, i've seen engines fill up with gas after flooding, and refuse to start. Probably not the problem but it's worth checking.
X2

Forgot about extreme flooding an engine. And yes it is possible that it now needs an oil change. From personal experience on a test vehicle when I worked at Toyota Canada.
Old 03-06-2016, 11:12 PM   #25
Lightrfire

So today I tried starting the car with a can of starter fluid and it started right up! I tried this with carb cleaner before but it wouldn't start so I guess that wasn't flammable enough. After running for a little bit it died again and wouldn't restart like before. So I have some sort of fuel issue for sure. The pump is definitely working I pulled the line off the fuel rail and put it in a plastic bottle and cranked for a few seconds and gas fills the bottle. The injectors are definitely getting power. I even pulled the whole fuel rail and injector set off the engine and cranked it to see the gas spray out of all 4 injectors. I pulled the fuel pump assembly out to see if the regulator was clogged and maybe pressure was an issue but it seems clean and ok visually. I think I need to check fuel pressure next but I'm not sure how to on this car. I don't see a test port in the engine bay. Does anyone have any ideas?
Old 03-06-2016, 11:15 PM   #26
Lightrfire

Oh and I did an oil change today like suggested. Oil was definitely ok still but at this point it couldn't hurt
Old 03-07-2016, 03:23 AM   #27
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Well then like you said it's definitely a fuel issue. Are you ABSOLUTELY sure that you have the correct wires plugged into the corresponding injectors? With the symptoms you describe that is the only thing I can think of that would result in the engine not firing.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 07:18 AM   #28
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
So I was right!

Is the fuel pump relay working?

I suspect your old fuel pump was OK and the trouble was elsewhere,
Old 03-07-2016, 08:00 AM   #29
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

you need to use an inline tester for fuel pressure. Where the flexible line connects to the hard line in the engine bay.
Old 03-07-2016, 10:07 AM   #30
Lightrfire

Relay has to be ok simply because I'm getting fuel during crank. As stated before the old pump is 100% dead. Connected to 12v it won't kick on.
Old 03-07-2016, 10:58 AM   #31
Lightrfire

I called a few part stores to see if they have an inline pressure tester but the all see to have the one that connects to a shraeder valve.. Any tips on somewhere to rent one?
Old 03-09-2016, 06:42 PM   #32
Lightrfire

Well I finally got this damn car started finally. If anyone experiences this check the o ring on the opposite end of the sock. Mine had a slight tear in it causing this diagnostic disaster. I guess it gives the fuel line just enough pressured or gas to come out of the line like normal but not enough pressure to start. Holy hell am I glad to be done with this.
Old 03-09-2016, 07:10 PM   #33
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightrfire View Post
Well I finally got this damn car started finally. If anyone experiences this check the o ring on the opposite end of the sock. Mine had a slight tear in it causing this diagnostic disaster. I guess it gives the fuel line just enough pressured or gas to come out of the line like normal but not enough pressure to start. Holy hell am I glad to be done with this.
Wow! Great find.
Old 03-10-2016, 02:30 AM   #34
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Greatest Sherlock Holmes i ever heard of.