Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-07-2006, 10:55 PM   #1
fantabulousbaby

Drives: 3 series
I'd like to know this right now.. is brand name gas better for my new Yaris?

So many myths out there.. need some advice.. of course I wanna save money and get the cheapest gas around me.. and there are plenty of non-brand gas stations near me.. for majority of the time I'd rather use the convenient Sam's Club gas across the street from me.. but I've also spoken to firm believers that you get better gas mileage or even prevent the 'check engine' light problems down the road.. please explain! I'm willing to go to Chevron and pay more if it's true! I spoke to someone who used to 'study' oil/gas and said that the non brand name stations essentially buy the gas that is 'rejected' by brand names like Shell and Chevron.. I need to fill up tomo. morning and hopefully will have insight by then! (Fyi in my area, the diff. b/t name and brand name can be 40 cents plus per gallon). Thx
fantabulousbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 11:04 PM   #2
07WYarisRS
HardlyDangerous

Drives: 09 Yaris LE, H/B, auto
NO

Here in Canada we have 4-5 major suppliers (Shell, Petro-can, Sunoco, ESSO,) that supply fuel to every fuel station regardless of the name....
the local BEaver gas station sells Sunoco, 7-11 sells shell etc etc.

It's the same in the US. There are only so many companies suppling fuel but thousands of different names. The little guys at corner store fuel stations still get their fuel supplied by BIG oil companies

Don't worry about any one being bad for your engine. As long as it's 87 octane it must meet strict standards and will not harm your engine. No point running anything over 87 octane, the engine was designed for 87 octane and running anything higher is a waste of $$$. After all it's an econo box. Who would buil;d and econo box that needs high octane fuel?

BUT that being said Different fuels do burn differently do to different blends, additives and free radicals in the fuel. So test different brands of fuel and see what works best for you.
I usually get my fuel from Sonic in Buffalo or Esso here in Ontario. I get the worst mileage with Sunoco and the best with the fuel from Sonic.
07WYarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 11:06 PM   #3
Jfoofoo

Drives: 07 Yaris HB Meteorite Metallic
Ok.. My wife's cousins own a couple gas stations. One is a well known brand name station and the other... not so much...
Guess what? He gets gas from the same place for both stations. So much for your brand name gas...
Jfoofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 11:26 PM   #4
riceboy

Drives: icebox
it doesn't matter just filler up with the cheap-o stuff...
riceboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 06:30 AM   #5
argylesocks
Bears eat beets.

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceboy
it doesn't matter just filler up with the cheap-o stuff...

exactly. oddly, sometimes Mobil ends up being cheaper (huh?) so i go with that... i notice no difference between that & the indie dealership.

i go with whatever is cheaper.

fyi: u can look online - there are websites that list the cheapest gas stations in any given area. its pissah.
Old 09-08-2006, 08:52 AM   #6
TrancosRt

Drives: 07 Silver HB Yaris
I've found that the cheap Marathon gas gives me FAR more better milleage than Mobil!!
So the myth falls through...
TrancosRt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 01:43 PM   #7
Hyde

Drives: M3,CayenneS,SL500,550i,GT3RS
i fill up with cheveron only for all my cars. right now using 92 for the Yaris and 94 for the rest of the cars. i'll probably be using 94 when i have more done to the Yaris.

i find that cheveron gas is better then the rest in terms of performance
Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 04:45 PM   #8
07WYarisRS
HardlyDangerous

Drives: 09 Yaris LE, H/B, auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyde
i fill up with cheveron only for all my cars. right now using 92 for the Yaris and 94 for the rest of the cars. i'll probably be using 94 when i have more done to the Yaris.

i find that cheveron gas is better then the rest in terms of performance
Why are you using high octane fuel in an engine designed for low octane?

you are wasting money like crazy and not doing anything for performance.
Sorry but it's a myth that high octane give you more power or burns cleaner.
Old 09-19-2006, 12:10 AM   #9
bigsky2
Cousin Vitz

Drives: Yaris RS 5DR / Vitz RS wannabe
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07WYarisRS
Why are you using high octane fuel in an engine designed for low octane?

you are wasting money like crazy and not doing anything for performance.
Sorry but it's a myth that high octane give you more power or burns cleaner.
Not this again...

For the record, higher octane gas does allow for "more power" if COMPRESSION is a factor in the application. Using higher octane fuel will allow the engine to operate at higher to maximum compression levels (read LEVELS, I didn't say ratio) when the throttle is opened all the way. The full octane is utilized when this happens; when partially open the higher octane fuel is inefficient.

I do agree with you, it's silly to be using premium grade gasoline on a vehicle that accepts regular 87 octane.
Old 09-19-2006, 02:56 AM   #10
mhero

Drives: Yaris 5Dr.
In Thailand, I have seen some Yaris drivers install LPG system
... this'd cost roughly $1200 but it'd save a lot of money in the
long run. 'Coz taxis here have been using LPG system for century!!
mhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 08:04 AM   #11
SimmZ

Drives: 2k3 Cavalier & 2k2 Echo
I already read a review somewhere telling than Esso is having more water into thier gas than Shell or Ultramar...

Just for your info, fuel sold in USA are real bad quality compared to Canada. Do a test... during winter travel a few hours across the south or middle states, then fill up your entire tank. Then, came back to Quebec during a very cold night. You're 99% sure you fuel tank and fuel line will freeze and your car will not start anymore the morning after because there is a lot more water into US fuel.
Old 09-19-2006, 07:05 PM   #12
Don Mason

Drives: Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsky2
Not this again...

For the record, higher octane gas does allow for "more power" if COMPRESSION is a factor in the application. Using higher octane fuel will allow the engine to operate at higher to maximum compression levels (read LEVELS, I didn't say ratio) when the throttle is opened all the way. The full octane is utilized when this happens; when partially open the higher octane fuel is inefficient.

I do agree with you, it's silly to be using premium grade gasoline on a vehicle that accepts regular 87 octane.

This issue does come up a great deal, but here's what happens with most modern computer controlled engines.

Since all cars today use some form of Exhaust Gas recirculation, fairly high compression ratios can be used with “regular” grade gasoline's, than would be possible with engines without EGR. EGR acts as an inert dilutant to the active fuel air mixture, to keep peak ignition temperatures below 2,700 degrees F. This prevents the creation of NOX emissions.

Most modern engines have some kind of predetonation detector as part of the engine controls. I’m not sure on the Yaris since I haven’t had it long.

The bottom line is spark advance should be adjusted as close to the predetonation point as possible at higher RPM’s and throttle settings to allow maximum power and efficiency from the engine.

In many computer controlled engines, a predetonation sensor detects any sign of predetonation at high throttle settings, and the control computer retards the spark timing just enough to prevent predetonation (knocking).

Predetonation in general is most likely to occur at the point of maximum BMEP ( Brake Mean Effective Pressure), while the throttle is wide open.

BMEF is the condition in which maximum “push” is created on the pistons, and corresponds nicely with the RPM for maximum engine torque. I believe this is around 4,200RPM on the Yaris engine. At higher RPM’s, max pressure in the cylinders falls from peak.

So, depending on exactly how the engine computer controls spark advance, some small increase in power output near the BMEP point might be realized using a premium fuel, as the result of greater spark advance.

Personally, I've always used a mid grade fuel ( 89 octane) in modern engines that specify 87 octane. A bit of preignition insurance.

My older V-6 Chevy would preignite just a bit on 87 octane at max throttle settings near the torque peak RPM's, even though that was the fuel specified for the engine. It had a sensitive preignition detector, but always seemed to be on the ragged edge of preignition when pushed hard on the highway.

Also, even slight preignition can significantly shorten the life of the exhaust valves, since exhaust temperatures greatly increase in that running condition.

Just my 2 cents :)

Cheers!
Don Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 09:14 PM   #13
Yaris

Drives: 2010 LB Meteor Metallic
I only fill up at busy gas stations where a fresh supply is a certainty and avoid doing so when the tanker truck is present and likely stirring up possible sediment in the storage tanks.
Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote