Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Closed Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 01:22 AM   #1
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
DIY INTAKE

This is the ghettoastiest (if i may) thing you have ever seen, I promise.

The goal was to make an intake that didn't throw a CEL. I didn't care if it was made out of PVC, rubber, aluminum, steel, lead... make it happen. It is meant to be a template for the steel welded version to come. Therefore, I took a jaunt to Autozone and grabbed some stuff.

Picture 002.jpg

Filter, breather filter, couplers, clamps, a 3" exhaust pipe length not pictured, the hacked up bits of an xA intake, and a radiator hose from God knows what. Welcome to monster garage.

This series of pictures shows step-by-step how we built this intake. Watch some of the more "creative" routes we had to take. We didn't have everything we wished we had had, but it was 9 PM and the stores are closed. Time to make shit work.

Picture 009.jpg
Picture 010.jpg
Picture 011.jpg
Picture 012.jpg
Picture 013.jpg
Picture 015.jpg
Picture 016.jpg
Picture 017.jpg
Picture 019.jpg

It sounds normal... then you hit 3000 RPM's and a bear crawls out from inside your manifold. Its absolutely refackingdiculous. 50 miles, no CEL.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:35 AM   #2
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
it's ghettofabulous!

It's weird though, I'll have to double check against my stock intake components, but isn't there a small tube that hooks into the ridged rubber intake tube right before the throttle?

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 03-07-2007, 01:40 AM   #3
ChinoCharles
Banned

Breather tube. There is a cute little filter to match the big one popping out of my head now. It makes me laugh.

I think thats what you're referring to, right?
Old 03-07-2007, 07:30 AM   #4
esquiva
Noypi ako!

Drives: 07 S Sedan 5-Speed M/T
hmm..interesting work u did there...was it from the "hacked-up xa tubing" that u were able to connect the sensor?

Nene jr.: tay, peram naman ng kotse o...
Boy Bastos: sige pero isang kondisyon. mag-ano muna tayo.
Nene jr.: tay meron ako ngayon e. blowjob na lang kita.
Boy bastos: o sige.
pagkatapos ng blowjob...
Nene jr.: tay, bat lasang tae yung etits nyo?
Boy bastos: ah ganon ba? hiniram kasi ng kuya
mo kanina yung kotse e!
Old 03-07-2007, 09:49 AM   #5
ChinoCharles
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquiva View Post
hmm..interesting work u did there...was it from the "hacked-up xa tubing" that u were able to connect the sensor?
Yes.

esquiva and anyone else that wants to go this similar route... what you're looking for is a MAF adapter for a Toyota Karman Vortex air flow meter. In order to get this to work you need to put that MAF as close to the throttle body as possible.

I may have got lucky... this type of MAF is supposed to be the most accurate and the least restrictive ever made, but it is also notoriously touchy. It needs to be mounted dead center in whatever pipe its measuring. This could be done on 3" pipe, but it would have been a fabrication nightmare and the throttle body inlet is 2" anyway, so without a larger throttle body this intake would have had to feed into 2" tubing eventually. I saved some time with the xA intake, but I'm willing to bet it could be done with parts out there on the market as well. Just look for that adapter.

Also, consider that if you DON'T get it right and throw a CEL, you're going to need an oscilloscope to understand why... don't think your shitty multimeter is going to cut it. The signal from this particular MAF is too high frequency for that.

Last edited by ChinoCharles; 03-07-2007 at 12:53 PM.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:15 PM   #6
ChinoCharles
Banned

OK, first of all good news for anyone who wants to follow suit and do their own DIY intake. I checked on Autozone's web site and they list an MAF adapter for the Yaris made by Spectre. It isn't available yet, but the fact that it is even in their online catalog leads me to believe that it will be. I'll keep looking.

If you sit tight you may just see a metal version of my intake for sale here soon, and for WAY less money than anyone else is charging. All proceeds will go to the "put nitrous in a Yaris" fund.

Now that I have had 24 hours and 30 highway miles to play with my new toy, let me just say WEEEEEE. It sounds incredible! I am going to try and get video of the engine bay when I gun it, but there is an instant "whoosh" followed by this growl that didn't come from that little 1NZ before. From the cabin it sounds like it has an exhaust, and I don't have an exhaust yet. There is also a noticable power difference. I shifted out of first at 34 MPH today... without bouncing the limiter. Its definitely making more power. I need to get to a dyno and figure out where it is making that power and where it may be losing power (if any). Of course it is going to run even better when I free the interior of the piping from some of the blunt edges it has now. We start manufacturing the MAF sensor plates tonight.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:02 PM   #7
Kitt

Drives: Thndr cl metallic HB 3 drs '05
Send a message via MSN to Kitt
Did you had any issues with the MAF? any check engine after that?
Old 03-07-2007, 02:05 PM   #8
ChinoCharles
Banned

Nope, haven't seen a CEL yet on my car.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:51 PM   #9
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles View Post
Breather tube. There is a cute little filter to match the big one popping out of my head now. It makes me laugh.

I think thats what you're referring to, right?
It actually looks descent, but isn't it better to have the small tube Etimago was talking about connected in line like it is from the factory. Please correct me if I'm wrong; With your little filter it can breath, but with the tube inline between the filter and throttle body it creates a vacuum and actually pulls gases, which can be acidic, out of your crank case. In addition, instead of letting these gases float out your little filter, pulling them through the engine burns them up and reduces emissions. Yes? No? Am I retarded? Don't answer that second one.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:21 PM   #10
spkrman
Banned

Drives: 1
awesome :)

now get that intake made foo!

On that note, I had my various intake renditions hold for a day or 2...but always a cel.

And on that note again, pep boys already had a MAF adapter, although for the life of me i cant figure out why the hell i couldnt get the car to run properly with it in place.
Old 03-07-2007, 07:09 PM   #11
yrsdrgn

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Send a message via AIM to yrsdrgn
That looks pretty nice ChinoCharles. Keep up the good work
Old 03-07-2007, 07:39 PM   #12
jdubau55

Drives: 2007 White Yaris LB 5 Spd.
Send a message via AIM to jdubau55 Send a message via Yahoo to jdubau55
NICE!!! What is the cost with this? And how fast could you swap the stocker in....say if you had to have warranty work done?
Old 03-07-2007, 09:47 PM   #13
ChinoCharles
Banned

Quote:
It actually looks descent, but isn't it better to have the small tube Etimago was talking about connected in line like it is from the factory. Please correct me if I'm wrong; With your little filter it can breath, but with the tube inline between the filter and throttle body it creates a vacuum and actually pulls gases, which can be acidic, out of your crank case. In addition, instead of letting these gases float out your little filter, pulling them through the engine burns them up and reduces emissions. Yes? No? Am I retarded? Don't answer that second one.
You know, I'm not entirely sure Peter, but I'll run this post by the guy I am working on this with. He will be able to explain the breather filter better... he's the real expert in this. I just give him a bank account, a new car and some info! Sit tight.

Quote:
And on that note again, pep boys already had a MAF adapter, although for the life of me i cant figure out why the hell i couldnt get the car to run properly with it in place.
Did you end up taking pictures of it? If so link me to the picture or post it in here.

Quote:
NICE!!! What is the cost with this? And how fast could you swap the stocker in....say if you had to have warranty work done?
The ghetto mockup cost $100, but that was because we are in a rush. If we weren't we could have done this cleaner and cheaper... probably half of that. We want to get this intake built and sold so I can cover my ass on the cost of building it AND so we can take the profits and go straight for the spray! I just want to rep this site and you guys... this community. Getting her to go fast RIGHT NOW on a budget is going to shut the naysayers up right quick, and I'm banking on it bringing some serious attention to this seemingly humble little bubble of a car.

After running preliminary numbers on the cost of raw materials, my aim for this intake is 160 bucks shipped at the most. If I can do it cheaper I will, but at the very least this intake will be far more affordable than anything else out there, and you won't be skimping on quality. Trust me, this little intake... hahaha. Its pretty sweet.

Want to make this happen faster? Post in this thread and tell us you'll be in on the group buy... which, by the way, will knock that price down even more. Give us an idea of what demand would be like, because how cheap we can do this relies on how many we are planning on selling. Right now I'm under the assumption that this is going to be a one or two time deal, but if you guys want to see this stay on the market, I need your help! Buy 'em while they're dirt cheap!
Old 03-07-2007, 10:03 PM   #14
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
A non-cold air intake interests me. I don't want my filter down low in front of the car getting wet. Is it a dry filter or oiled and what brand?
Old 03-07-2007, 10:06 PM   #15
ChinoCharles
Banned

It is oiled and it is the generic Autozone style "Power Adder." Remember, this is just a mockup! However, for all intents and purposes my filter is a silver K&N. Came with the same warranty... I'd bet you they're made by the same people.

Which brings me to another question... what type of filter would you guys like to see? I even threw around the idea of selling these with no filter and keeping them REALLY cheap. I know there have been threads about the best filter, and of course like anything else on these forums nobody can agree. What do you guys think? Oiled? Dry? K&N? Something else? Or just screw it, sell the pipe and let the buyer choose what type of filter he wants?
Old 03-07-2007, 10:13 PM   #16
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles View Post
It is oiled and it is the generic Autozone style "Power Adder." Remember, this is just a mockup! However, for all intents and purposes my filter is a silver K&N. Came with the same warranty... I'd bet you they're made by the same people.

Which brings me to another question... what type of filter would you guys like to see? I even threw around the idea of selling these with no filter and keeping them REALLY cheap. I know there have been threads about the best filter, and of course like anything else on these forums nobody can agree. What do you guys think? Oiled? Dry? K&N? Something else? Or just screw it, sell the pipe and let the buyer choose what type of filter he wants?
Actually you might be on to something here... Some people might prefer a K&N cone filter, some might prefer an HKS mushroom filter, etc... Giving the customer the choice is not a bad idea.

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 03-07-2007, 10:14 PM   #17
ChinoCharles
Banned

That is the nice thing... I am going to do what you guys want! How many times does the manufacturer come to the community beforehand and actually ASK WHAT THE HELL THEY WANT.

WHAT A NOVEL FUCKING CONCEPT.

So, c'mon, vote on it... if you have any ideas I haven't mentioned, spill it! Lets get some dialogue going so in a few days I have a nice, full thread to reference when we finally sit down with some pipe.
Old 03-08-2007, 12:46 AM   #18
BASKIN.N/A-HONDA
Its the horsepower stupid

Drives: 97 Honda Accord(N/A),03-R6 Le
Send a message via AIM to BASKIN.N/A-HONDA
if anyone has any questions regarding the intake or the nitrous setup on the yaris send them my way.
Closed Thread