Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Closed Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 11:18 PM   #37
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
2.60 reg
2.70 mid
2.80 pre
prices here in Toledo Ohio on my way home today
Old 04-02-2007, 11:26 PM   #38
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by churp View Post
Sorry ....the 2 cent difference was between reg and plus (87--89 octane). Think I can still get Premium in Iowa, 20 miles away otherwise no premium for at least 50 miles here in Minnesota, and then it would only be a few stations at most. The 20 cent difference would require about 2.4 mpg increase from 37mpg to be worth it.. enough said,,,
you guys don't have premium there? can't figure out why...but yeah, i don't think and added 2.4 mpg is worth it still since you won't be able to go back to regular just incase premium prices spike.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:27 PM   #39
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Yaris View Post
2.60 reg
2.70 mid
2.80 pre
prices here in Toledo Ohio on my way home today
oh how i wish gas prices here were that low.
Old 04-03-2007, 12:14 AM   #40
static808
Engineer/Artist/House-Dad

Drives: 2006 Toyota Sienna XLE
chevron. 3.32 regular. 3.51 premium. 'nuff said...

--B
Old 04-03-2007, 12:49 AM   #41
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
WOW! I paid $2.64 and I felt outraged. We had gas below $2.50 for a long time recently.
Old 04-03-2007, 12:51 AM   #42
yrsdrgn

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Send a message via AIM to yrsdrgn
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles View Post
WOW! I paid $2.64 and I felt outraged. We had gas below $2.50 for a long time recently.
hehe.... our gas is $3.37 and that's for regular!!!!
Old 04-03-2007, 02:29 AM   #43
Kaotic Lazagna

man, Cali has outragous gas prices!
Old 04-03-2007, 04:27 PM   #44
forpinks

Drives: 03 Toyota Corolla S modded,
..... I never touched 87 when I fill up my own cars, even my old AE92...
but to tell you the truth from my experience...

I like the 91-93 octane from Shell or Chevron on the freeway, but 89 I think is the best for city driving... Oh yeah, my tC is running on 87 now and its an
auto-mall brand... I'll try 89 then 91 when the meter hits near "Empty", its tank is still full and I haven't drove it far yet, only about 80miles and I got it when it has only 2 miles... then I'll tell you the difference!

BUT YOU JUST GOTTA LOVE IT....
Old 04-04-2007, 09:51 AM   #45
barryware

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by fu_im_from_texas View Post
one of my best tanks was 42.xx mpg...from el paso to dfw...700 miles of +80 mph...

My mileage goes to crap at 80+. I get the best at 70 or so. 37-38 mpg is the best I have ever gotten.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:39 AM   #46
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
ok i got to add sumthing here.. first of all i been thru a few cars and going to premium give you not just 3% increase on mileage.. you get a lot more. id say close to 10% and thats measured on a cavalier..which i borrowed for 2 weeks and my celica as well which i had for 6 years..and using premium is cleaner than regular gas..now going to 92 or 94 octane which i have tried as well.. not much difference on mileage compare to premium but then again going higher octane really requires adj ur timing to about 10 -15 degree adv. then ull have better take off..and the rules of engagement is adj ment need the feel as well.. makes sure ur engine is not knockin' other wise ur too advance. retard bit by bit..
Old 04-04-2007, 12:21 PM   #47
Pavel Olavich
Banned

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus View Post
ok i got to add sumthing here.. first of all i been thru a few cars and going to premium give you not just 3% increase on mileage.. you get a lot more. id say close to 10% and thats measured on a cavalier..which i borrowed for 2 weeks and my celica as well which i had for 6 years..and using premium is cleaner than regular gas..now going to 92 or 94 octane which i have tried as well.. not much difference on mileage compare to premium but then again going higher octane really requires adj ur timing to about 10 -15 degree adv. then ull have better take off..and the rules of engagement is adj ment need the feel as well.. makes sure ur engine is not knockin' other wise ur too advance. retard bit by bit..
You cannot make such blanket statements....using premium and getting better milage or performance DEPENDS on the car you put it in, and is not necessarily the same result for all cars.

You run premium in your Yaris sewing machine motor, it will get worse milage, it will produce less power, and it will create more emissions, and burn dirtier. Leave the Premium for the cars that are engineered for it, high compression engines, higher performance cars....premium is not for our Yaris...save your money. Come on guys, get real!
Old 04-04-2007, 12:39 PM   #48
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryware View Post
My mileage goes to crap at 80+. I get the best at 70 or so. 37-38 mpg is the best I have ever gotten.
that's good for going 70 mph.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:43 PM   #49
Kaotic Lazagna

does premium in, say, Chevron gas, have more cleaning additives?
Old 04-04-2007, 12:51 PM   #50
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
does premium in, say, Chevron gas, have more cleaning additives?
I believe the question should be, are those "cleaning additives" and othe rmagical things you pay for in fancy fuels anything more than marketing gimmicks? Is there any independent testing to show it actually does anything?

Don't ya just love capitalism?

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 04-04-2007, 12:52 PM   #51
marcus
toyota

?????????

our yaris can run 87 octane or more obviously higher the octane the cleaner it is..it doesnt mean you cannot use more than 87.. its saying the lowest grade you can use is 87 but it does not limit it to 87..and i will guarantee you that you ll get better mileage on premium compare to regular..its jsut the matter of you spending a little bit more for premium.. go with experience and youll see..spend 40 buck or fill up the same liter regular compare to premium and youll see that marcus is right.. oh yah by the way sum cars cannot take 87..most honda is premium and UP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel Olavich View Post
You cannot make such blanket statements....using premium and getting better milage or performance DEPENDS on the car you put it in, and is not necessarily the same result for all cars.

You run premium in your Yaris sewing machine motor, it will get worse milage, it will produce less power, and it will create more emissions, and burn dirtier. Leave the Premium for the cars that are engineered for it, high compression engines, higher performance cars....premium is not for our Yaris...save your money. Come on guys, get real!
Old 04-04-2007, 12:55 PM   #52
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
I believe the question should be, are those "cleaning additives" and othe rmagical things you pay for in fancy fuels anything more than marketing gimmicks? Is there any independent testing to show it actually does anything?

Don't ya just love capitalism?
yeah, i've always wondered that too, but seeing how Shell, Chevron, and the other companies that say they have these "cleaning additives" perform better than those el cheapo gas, i slowly started thinking less about it.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:57 PM   #53
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus View Post
our yaris can run 87 octane or more obviously higher the octane the cleaner it is..it doesnt mean you cannot use more than 87.. its saying the lowest grade you can use is 87 but it does not limit it to 87..and i will guarantee you that you ll get better mileage on premium compare to regular..its jsut the matter of you spending a little bit more for premium.. go with experience and youll see..spend 40 buck or fill up the same liter regular compare to premium and youll see that marcus is right.. oh yah by the way sum cars cannot take 87..most honda is premium and UP!
my experience with premium, except this one, was that my mpg actually was less than average.

which Honda's are you talking about? aside from the upper-end Honda's i would think that they could take regular.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:41 PM   #54
marcus
toyota

well i guess the honda si.. uses premium or up.. and that is odd where ur getting less mile on premium compare to regular..dont get me wrong..about faster burning fuel which is regular compare to premium..just going by my personal experience with my cars...maybe i wouldnt know unless i buy an expensive cars out there..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
my experience with premium, except this one, was that my mpg actually was less than average.

which Honda's are you talking about? aside from the upper-end Honda's i would think that they could take regular.
Closed Thread