Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-28-2013, 04:44 PM   #1
5ABIVT

Drives: sedan
Help!! Alternator won't come out !! :o

I just wanted to ask if the bottom bolt on the alternator is reverse threaded? I've been trying to loosen it for 20 mins and the bolt is starting to round.. Broke a snap on 3/8 wratchet with a breaker bar.. Sprayed with penetrant since the start..

Bolt is the one below the alt pulley in the pic.. Thoughts or input appreciated !

5ABIVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 05:01 PM   #2
5ABIVT

As usual a little break to post up results in it coming loose :). Moved the alternator all the way towards the motor for a little more room and a quick turn snapped it loose.

Original alt and belt 255k km.
Old 12-28-2013, 06:07 PM   #3
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Wow! You are lucky it did not snap.
Old 12-28-2013, 08:06 PM   #4
UberSilver

Drives: 08Yaris2D, 88LandCruiser.
Yep, I had to use a SnapOn 4 ft braker bar, and a 6 pt socket that I machined down, as to grab as much bolt head as possible.

That bolt got a couple of gallons of NeverSez before it went back in.
Old 12-29-2013, 06:25 PM   #5
5ABIVT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Wow! You are lucky it did not snap.
I think a little bit of belt dressing over the years really helped. Bought the car in fall 06. 7 years and the mileage.. And the belt isn't brittle or very hard. Starting a few years ago anytime I heard a tiny squeal at startup or under accessory load I gave it a tiny spray of the stuff. My theory is that it really helps prolong the life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberSilver View Post
Yep, I had to use a SnapOn 4 ft braker bar, and a 6 pt socket that I machined down, as to grab as much bolt head as possible.

That bolt got a couple of gallons of NeverSez before it went back in.
Glad to hear it's normal.. I was surprised how tough it was. I too covered the thing in anti sieze lol.

Charging light is gone and after a few long drives , no squeals and battery seems to be charged right up. Was hoping the weak alternator didn't kill the battery since these two work hand in hand it's always best to have them both up to par.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:20 PM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ABIVT View Post
I think a little bit of belt dressing over the years really helped. Bought the car in fall 06. 7 years and the mileage.. And the belt isn't brittle or very hard. Starting a few years ago anytime I heard a tiny squeal at startup or under accessory load I gave it a tiny spray of the stuff. My theory is that it really helps prolong the life.

Glad to hear it's normal.. I was surprised how tough it was. I too covered the thing in anti sieze lol.

Charging light is gone and after a few long drives , no squeals and battery seems to be charged right up. Was hoping the weak alternator didn't kill the battery since these two work hand in hand it's always best to have them both up to par.
I actually meant that you were lucky that the bottom bolt came out without snapping. Many people with much lower mileage have had them snap. The key was likely the pre-soaking, as loosening up the corrosion makes a world of difference.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:57 PM   #7
Viperoni

Drives: 2005 Toyota Echo
Agreed, my lower alt bolt is going to snap when it comes out... hope I don't have to change it when I don't have a lot of time to work on it :/
2005 Toyota Echo RS 4dr hatch - Cyl #3 bad - sold
2000 Toyota Echo 2dr coupe - The track car - rusty & scrapped
Viperoni is offline   Reply With Quote