Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-30-2013, 10:17 PM   #1
Rodger Wilco

Drives: 2010 Yaris
Newbie Question on OIL CHANGES

I know that this question has probably been asked but I cant find it so here goes:

I just bought a used 2010 Yaris with 17,000 miles on it. I have driven it less than 200 miles when the "oil light" started flashing. I have no idea what to buy.

Should I go SYNTHETIC or CONVECTIONAL, or BLEND?

What type of FILTER?

The owners manual merely says 5W-30 and make sure it is API SM...

...Well that gives me a lot of choices.

I do not know what the previous owner used. I read that if you change oil types it will cause some of the seals to leak.

Is the synthetic thing a waste of money or a good investment? And what about the filter?

What are you guys using and why?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Rodger Wilco; 12-30-2013 at 10:40 PM. Reason: Posted in wrong place! has nothing to do with washing!
Rodger Wilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 07:00 PM   #2
sickpuppy1

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
Well right now I'd get any brand in there so as not to damage the engine! After that its up to you. You'll find both trains of thought on conventional oil or synthetic. Either is fine really. I use mobil 1 0-30 fuel economy oil and Wix filters. But thats just me.
Also, back to the original issue,if its that low, where is it leaking from? At 17000 miles it shouldnt be leaking at all......
Old 01-01-2014, 12:40 AM   #3
Rodger Wilco

Drives: 2010 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickpuppy1 View Post
Well right now I'd get any brand in there so as not to damage the engine! After that its up to you. You'll find both trains of thought on conventional oil or synthetic. Either is fine really. I use mobil 1 0-30 fuel economy oil and Wix filters. But thats just me.
Also, back to the original issue,if its that low, where is it leaking from? At 17000 miles it shouldnt be leaking at all......
Ah no, it is not low or leaking at all, my post must be misleading. I have heard that if you were running conventional and then switch to synthetic in can make the car leak.

I think I will go the mobil 1 route. Tell me, why did you pick a Wix filter?
Rodger Wilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 12:32 PM   #4
yarisgeo13
yarisgeo13

Drives: gloss black 5 door
Send a message via Yahoo to yarisgeo13
Who ever you bought it from, they should've told you what type of oil they used.
yarisgeo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 01:10 PM   #5
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
It doesnt matter which you use regular or synthetic. Synthetic will just cost twice as much.

Regular oil doesnt "break down" it just gets contaminated and needs to be re-refined.

Synthetic gets contaminated too just like regular.

Thats why you change it.

One good thing FI doesnt put gasoline into the oil like carbs did thats why the change intervals are longer.