Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-25-2009, 09:52 AM   #1
billmcc64

Drives: 2008 Yaris
Snow tires won't come off?

Anyone else have trouble taking their snow tires off this spring?

I purchased new rims from Toyota last fall and they went on fine.

It's like they are seized at the hubs. I whacked the tire (quite) a few times with a 2x4 after taking the lug nuts off, but there's no play at all.

I'm kinda reluctant to spray penetrating oil on the hubs because it's so close to the brakes.

Bill
billmcc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 10:08 AM   #2
voodoo22

Drives: Yaris Sedan (auto)
make sure your car is raised safely and securely. Then get a rubber mallet or buffer a hammer with a 2x4 to prevent damaging your rims. then hit the tire working your way around the rim. Eventually it will come off.

Once you have them off, sand the mounting area and apply some sort of grease like thermal grease before putting on your summers. This will prevent this situation from ever happening again. I can say this from experience.
voodoo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 10:19 AM   #3
uncleyaris

Drives: 2007 Bayou Blue!!!!!!!
I had a similar problem last fall when changing to the winter rims. Now that I'm changing back to summer rims I need to put some lube to prevent sticking. Will a good application of White grease help me out?
uncleyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 11:22 AM   #4
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
get non leaking grease made for high heat resistance. You should be able to find them at Canadian Tires. (since no US members replied to this thread yet. haha)

btw, i have had no problems getting my winter wheels off, as the civic rims sits 2mm larger than the hub ring.

But the problem is over the winter, the hub ring has rusted, making it difficult for my summer rims to get on properly. When they are on, it becomes instantly difficult to remove.

i have sanded it down, but i don't have much time to mess with it.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 01:25 PM   #5
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
Good thing this happens when you are in a garage. Not on the side of the road with a flimbsy car jack on an uneven surface while changing a flat tire. I just rotated my tires and there was a little sticking on one of the tires. Once on a Toyota truck I had to pound the tire from the back side with a sludge hammer. A little greese isn't a bad idea even if the tires come off easy.
Old 04-25-2009, 03:39 PM   #6
Christopher
Cobra

Drives: '07 3-door
Use anti-seaze next time between the wheels and the drum/rotors.
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 03:41 PM   #7
billmcc64

Drives: 2008 Yaris
thanks guys, that did it.

when in doubt, get a bigger hammer.

didn't have any anti-seize, but I'll get some in the fall before I put the snow tires back on.

Bill
billmcc64 is offline   Reply With Quote