Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 08-29-2012, 11:34 AM   #1
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
Teins with stock shocks/struts, opinions?

So I've boiled it down to using my stock shocks/struts because my Tokicos are certainly worn out from Michigan roads...now my question is are the stockers ok for use with the Teins or am I better off just putting the stock springs back on as well?
I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:44 AM   #2
Form>Function

Drives: 07 Flint Sedan
You needed a second thread for the same question?

The answer is still the same... yes you can use your teins on those just fine.

1.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:48 AM   #3
detroiter

Wow, I forgot about making that other thread. 16 hour work days do that to you :( Thanks for the reply though, I'm just torn if I want to go back to stock ride height or keep it lowered.

The pros are if I go back to stock height, the ride comfort will be a lot softer and not
so much extra wear on the tires

The pros with Teins is that I'm already lowered so I won't have to fork out for another
alignment and also the car looks pretty good with it.

Choices choices...
I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:53 PM   #4
Form>Function

Dont go back to stock height its ugly and handles like jello. Don't worry about your stock shocks, mine had 70k miles before I pulled them and they are fine. You can deff run those at least until you get new tokicos.

Old 08-29-2012, 04:10 PM   #5
b20vteg
no show, no go :(

Drives: 2012 yaris 3dr hb
Send a message via MSN to b20vteg
s-techs rolling on stock shocks is "supposed" to ride almost as well as stock springs. not sure yet, but i'll find out later this afternoon - installing mine this afternoon... will check back here and report ride quality.
b20vteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 04:19 PM   #6
Form>Function

The teins will be stiffer and tighter than stock.

Old 08-29-2012, 04:38 PM   #7
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Expect half the life (at most) as those Tokico's if you drive on the same roads as you did. lol.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:18 AM   #8
b20vteg

just got back home from installing my s-techs at a friend's house...

verdict: with bump stops cut @ 50% as per the instructions provided by tein, the ride is IDENTICAL to stock. handling definitely feels improved somehow, even thought the springs are soft as hell... will post up pics tomorrow.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:29 AM   #9
Form>Function

Good call on not going stock height

Old 08-30-2012, 06:04 PM   #10
detroiter

Don't forget after a week or two, to get the alignment checked and squared away!
Old 08-30-2012, 09:13 PM   #11
b20vteg

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroiter View Post
Don't forget after a week or two, to get the alignment checked and squared away!
will do. although the car feels great - not pulling in either direction on the freeway.

pics as promised (phone camera doesn't like the sun):

geez, i feel like i totally jacked this thread
Old 08-30-2012, 11:48 PM   #12
detroiter

Don't feel that way at all man, I totally don't mind!

The car looks great! I think this is the first "new style" Yaris that I've seen lowered too, it looks already really low for just installing them. After a week or two, the springs will settle in even more. That's why I was saying to keep an eye on that alignment, it feels alright now but once they settle in more, it's going to change for sure.

Have your cruised around a bit since the installation? How does it feel driving with the stock shockers? Any kind of bounciness or pogo'ing?
Old 08-31-2012, 09:10 AM   #13
b20vteg

nope, not at all. as stated in my previous post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by b20vteg View Post
verdict: with bump stops cut @ 50% as per the instructions provided by tein, the ride is IDENTICAL to stock.
not bouncy and no pogoing at all. the ride quality is exactly the same as stock. i wonder if the stock spring rates are different though from gen2 to gen3, because the s-techs are definitely softer than my stock springs.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:55 AM   #14
Form>Function

Congrats enjoy them, I had no idea you were in a '12. Give em a good 100-200miles or so and hit some twisties. Hope they settle a little more for you.

Old 08-31-2012, 11:31 AM   #15
detroiter

I just got back from changing my shocks/struts as well...

Well er....shocks anyways. My mechanic just moved shops and he didn't have the
spring compressor mounted to the wall yet, so he couldn't do the struts. He forgot about that until he went to do them. So the rear shocks were installed at least and I have to wait until tuesday to get the struts installed.

I can say without a doubt, those Tokicos must have seriously been blown out or something because instantly driving away, with just the rears installed, it was a night and day difference. It was like driving on a cloud and the rear was MUCH more flat and stable. Soaked up bumps and dips without beating you up. I guess since shocks and struts wear out over time usually, you just don't realize how bad the ride quality is until you get them replaced. I look forwards to getting the struts on and I'll be smooth sailing

B20, just give it a week or two until they settle in, they will feel much better and not so soft.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:59 AM   #16
Form>Function

So you kept the teins you had?

You can rent a spring compressor from Advance for free. Its $50 deposit and when you return it you get the full $50 back.

Old 08-31-2012, 12:01 PM   #17
detroiter

yeah, i just kept it on the teins and put the the stock shocks back on. Well I had my mechanic put the shocks and struts on, but he couldn't do the front struts because of his machine not being installed. I'll just take it back on Tuesday and he'll do it in no time.

Rides a night and day difference with just the rears, can't imagine what it'll be like when the fronts get installed
Old 08-31-2012, 12:04 PM   #18
Form>Function

Nice!!! Suspension mods are the best.