Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-26-2018, 04:52 AM   #19
07liftback

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.B._07 View Post
Before you go looking to swap an alternator it's best to confirm the alternator is the issue. Get an multi-meter and check if you have ~14V at the battery terminals with the car at idle.
Good plan, I'll do a test this weekend. It was mainly an observation since I'm not sure if it's normal for the Yaris engine to hesitate a bit with only the fan on.
07liftback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 12:42 AM   #20
white89gt

Drives: 07 Yaris Hatch
Yes it was from a 2011 Scion XD. Sorry for the late post.
white89gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 08:40 PM   #21
07liftback

Funny that I was just responding to this thread last month and my alternator just went out today... Hmm, might be worth it to upgrade, thanks for letting us know =D
Old 05-19-2018, 02:11 PM   #22
07liftback

I just popped in an alternator from a 2010 Scion XD and it was surprisingly a bit cheaper than the Yaris one from ebay. The only thing other than using a longer bolt and washers on the bottom is that the pulley is about 1/4"-1/2" larger than the original belt. I would unmounted the old pulley to put on the new one but that seems like a ton of work. Other than that, the belt seemed to get caught on something at the bottom of the engine constantly which took a few tries to get it unhooked.

OP, is the larger pulley going to be an issue?
Old 05-19-2018, 02:15 PM   #23
DarkShadowFox
Banned

Drives: 2015 Yaris LE 3door 1F7
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07liftback View Post
I just popped in an alternator from a 2010 Scion XD and it was surprisingly a bit cheaper than the Yaris one from ebay. The only thing other than using a longer bolt and washers on the bottom is that the pulley is about 1/4"-1/2" larger than the original belt. I would unmounted the old pulley to put on the new one but that seems like a ton of work. Other than that, the belt seemed to get caught on something at the bottom of the engine constantly which took a few tries to get it unhooked.

OP, is the larger pulley going to be an issue?
whats the output on the scion XD vs the stock yaris one.
DarkShadowFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 04:33 PM   #24
beowulf

Drives: 2008 3dr hatch, 1.5L, 5-spd MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkShadowFox View Post
whats the output on the scion XD vs the stock yaris one.
Looking at the specs for Duralast alternators on the AutoZone, so this is speculative.

The Duralist alternators that fit a 2008 Yaris, generate 80 amps,
and the Duralast alternators that fit a 2011 Scion xD output 100 amps.

https://www.autozone.com/batteries-s...ing/alternator
beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 07:04 PM   #25
07liftback

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
Looking at the specs for Duralast alternators on the AutoZone, so this is speculative.

The Duralist alternators that fit a 2008 Yaris, generate 80 amps,
and the Duralast alternators that fit a 2011 Scion xD output 100 amps.

https://www.autozone.com/batteries-s...ing/alternator
That's correct. I'm just hoping the wider pulley won't cause issues down the road. I don't exactly have an impact gun that'll remove the bolt holding in the pulley on both alternators.

Also, I've heard bad things about the autozone recertified alternators for both their economy and premium lines.
Old 05-21-2018, 06:34 AM   #26
07liftback

Belt's squealing badly with the wider pulley or it could be that I put too much tension on it. Will re-adjust it and see if the problem persists. It's intermittent at the moment but will see if a shop will be able to swap pulleys for me for a fee.

Something the OP glossed over was the fact that it was REALLY difficult getting the bottom bolt aligned when sliding it through the center and threading it onto the other side. A ratcheting wrench would make it much easier once you get the threads started (which again is a PITA!). The washers will be impossible to put on without gluing them together first.

Last edited by 07liftback; 05-21-2018 at 07:09 AM.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:00 PM   #27
07liftback

Turns out the pulley is completely different. The one on the Scion XD is a clutch type:
https://www.autozone.com/batteries-s...ley/546684_0_0

The one on the Yaris is a typical pulley held in by a 22mm hex nut. Not only is the Scion XD pulley wider, there are 6 grooves on it and the Yaris one also has 6 grooves. You're basically putting the 6 groove belt on 4 grooves of the XD pulley. I readjusted the belt and it's still squealing really bad.

After probably ruining my belt, and having to resell this XD alternator, I will now purchase a 2012 Yaris alternator instead from a lower mileage Yaris. Although the connectors are the same and you can get it to fit with a longer bolt, the OP should've addressed these issues before leading people to think it was a simple upgrade. This upgrade does not work unless you find a way to attach the old pulley on the XD alternator. Also, the XD alternator doesn't fit snug enough and that slight vibration is enough to make the belt squeal LOUD.
Old 06-05-2018, 05:43 PM   #28
fourbangingfun

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
I have 212k miles on my 07 Sedan, and hooked up an after market headunit with a 500watt amp + subwoofer about a year ago. The stock alternator powers it just fine - no lights dimming or anything. I DID however have to have the alternator refurbished at a local alternator/starter rebuild shop because the bearing was making noise. This was at approx 180k miles. It was still charging just fine at this point. My guy said he went into it and cleaned up all the contacts and replaced the bearing. Still running fine all these miles later.
fourbangingfun is offline   Reply With Quote