Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-19-2008, 03:16 AM   #1
mem

Drives: 2009 Yaris 5-door liftback
keyless entry? / security?

I just got a 2009 5dr LB AT Yaris. I hadn't yet looked this up, and of course now the info available isn't current - sorry if this has been covered in the past.

I have the power package and the base immobiliser, but not keyless entry or the optional security system.

I didn't think I'd want keyless entry (didn't use it on my Taurus) but I am going nuts without a lock-all button in the hatch area and from the outside of the front passenger side.

If I'm going to spend money on one addition for keyless, is it true that for a little more I could get both keyless and additional security?

Would I be better off with aftermarket? Would the 3 keys I have already continue to work?

Thanks for your patience.
mem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 03:23 AM   #2
IsLNdbOi

Drives: Polar White - 5 Door '09 LB
I just got a 5-door LB today as well. Came with the power and convenience packages. Mine also has the keys with the buttons / remote built in for lock, unlock, and panic. I thought the remote would be on a separate piece much like the one on our '04 4Runner, but I guess they build them into the keys now.
IsLNdbOi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 03:29 AM   #3
mem

I don't have lock/unlock on the key even. That would take care of me. Did you pay extra to get that? If not, what package was it part of?
Old 10-19-2008, 04:08 AM   #4
TEHxFALLEN V1.2
Banned

Drives: '08 Lexus IS-F
Send a message via AIM to TEHxFALLEN V1.2
I have exactly what IslandBoi has, the key with buttons. I also have the other 2 keys which aren't anything special.

I decided to ditch that big nasty key, and purchase the Clifford 12.5X alarm system. It's $249 and it has got a real nice LCD screen where you can see if your car's door is ajar, someone had broken into your car, if someone had lifted your car; tilt sensor (display on the remote will report this), and many other things. It advertises 1/4 mile range, but it's really less than 1000 feet. With that said, it can notify you of any activity via page alert, lit up screen, and vibration.. You could have a combination of all three.

There's a unit that is a step above this one with 1 mile range.

Sponsored by: Micro Image
http://microimageonline.com
TEHxFALLEN V1.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 04:15 AM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEHxFALLEN V1.2 View Post
I have exactly what IslandBoi has, the key with buttons. I also have the other 2 keys which aren't anything special.

I decided to ditch that big nasty key, and purchase the Clifford 12.5X alarm system. It's $249 and it has got a real nice LCD screen where you can see if your car's door is ajar, someone had broken into your car, if someone had lifted your car; tilt sensor (display on the remote will report this), and many other things. It advertises 1/4 mile range, but it's really less than 1000 feet. With that said, it can notify you of any activity via page alert, lit up screen, and vibration.. You could have a combination of all three.

There's a unit that is a step above this one with 1 mile range.
How big is the remote with the LCD? I like the idea of a 2-way system, but I don't want a giant remote. None of the manufactures post the dimensions of the remotes, and they never seem to show pictures that give a good feel of scale.
CTScott is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 04:23 AM   #6
IsLNdbOi

Drives: Polar White - 5 Door '09 LB
I purchased an expensive Viper security system for my last Yaris. It had the two way responder remote w/ LCD screen that tells you if someone breaks into your car or if your car gets hit.

One time, a lady smashed her door into my Yaris and my alarm went off. The responder remote vibrated and showed what side my car was hit. I ran out and caught the lady walking towards the store. I stopped her and asked her about what just happened, but she denied everything. I went into the store to ask the manager if they have parking lot camers, but they didn't. I got the lady's license plate number, car make, model and color and called my insurance agent, but they couldn't find her car in the system.

I'm not going to "waste" money on another expensive security system. It's helpful in some situations, but most often by the time you get to your car to see what the remote was responding about it's too late.
IsLNdbOi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 04:23 AM   #7
TEHxFALLEN V1.2
Banned

It's not too big of a remote. It's roughly 1x2 and you can hide it in the palm of your hand.

Last edited by TEHxFALLEN V1.2; 10-19-2008 at 04:35 AM.
Old 10-19-2008, 04:25 AM   #8
TEHxFALLEN V1.2
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi View Post
One time, a lady smashed her door into my Yaris and my alarm went off. The responder remote vibrated and showed what side my car was hit. I ran out and caught the lady walking towards the store. I stopped her and asked her about what just happened, but she denied everything.
I would go berserk on her ass and beat her down.

Old 10-22-2008, 01:29 AM   #9
mem

So does the Toyota immobiliser still work in addition to the Clifford?
Do you know how expensive it is to replace the remote if it is lost?