Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 01-18-2017, 10:01 PM   #1657
scratchpaddy
Hubcap Enthusiast

Drives: '09 3-door 5-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
I've rocked 15% window tint on my Yaris for nearly 9 years now and have never been pulled over for it, or anything else. I haven't been pulled over since owning the car I had just prior to my Yaris.

Now that I've said it, I'm sure I'll be pulled over the next time I go out.
Dang, isn't 50% the legal limit for front windows in Cali?

It's 33% in front in Arizona, and no limit on the back. I like it around 35% all around. I don't like the "darker in back" look... which is what my Yaris is now. I'll get it re-done eventually.
scratchpaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 10:53 AM   #1658
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDigby View Post
limos have lots of mirrored tint, so do Mexicans..
What tint do the Guatemalans typically use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchpaddy View Post
Dang, isn't 50% the legal limit for front windows in Cali?

It's 33% in front in Arizona, and no limit on the back. I like it around 35% all around. I don't like the "darker in back" look... which is what my Yaris is now. I'll get it re-done eventually.
I've always heard that no tint is allowed on the front windows in CA lol. Never actually dug into it and confirmed, but as I say, I've never been pulled over and I've stopped right next to police cruisers at red lights many, many times.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 09:59 PM   #1659
SirDigby

Drives: 2007 yaris 3 door
Guatemalans? what percentage is "trash bag?"
j/k
SirDigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 10:37 PM   #1660
derickveliz2

Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Last time I was down there, my sister's car had 5% all around and the front windshield was 30%, man driving at night was like driving with sunglasses, and it was really bad in basement parking lots.

They do this for security reasons.

D.
Old 01-20-2017, 10:33 AM   #1661
ern-diz

30% on the front windshield?? Now I know that's not legal lol.

On Wheelwell
Old 01-20-2017, 01:25 PM   #1662
tarkus

Drives: 2006 Yaris RS 3-Door
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
I'm currently rocking 20% all around and have had zero issues with local police. From other local forums I've heard that it isn't an issue unless they pull you over for being a dbag and they want to nail you with something then they'll throw that into the mix of tickets.

That said apparently 35% up front will never get you a ticket. Our provincial law isn't based on a set percentage, more of a cops discretion sort of thing and 35% according to police is not a problem.

20% has the car cabin much cooler in the summer and blocks the rear headlight glare quite a bit. The only issue is reversing on non illuminated lots or streets. Just need to be super cautious of surroundings that's all, you can still see out back.
I was told that the official legal limit in Ontario is 20% sides and rear with 0% on the front. I agree the cops really don't care that much, unless they've already pulled you for something else.

A buddy of mine did 30% on his BMW 540i, and IMO it now looks like a crack dealers car. I think you can sometimes go too far with this stuff. :-)

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk
tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 03:19 PM   #1663
scratchpaddy
Hubcap Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarkus View Post
I was told that the official legal limit in Ontario is 20% sides and rear with 0% on the front. I agree the cops really don't care that much, unless they've already pulled you for something else.

A buddy of mine did 30% on his BMW 540i, and IMO it now looks like a crack dealers car. I think you can sometimes go too far with this stuff. :-)

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk
I think you have the numbers backwards. The percentage is VLT (Visual Light Transmission), the amount of light that gets through. 70% is barely noticeable, below 30% makes it difficult to see into, below 20% can make night driving difficult. "Limo" tint is 5%.

Most places allow tint above a certain line on the windshield, usually a little more than the sun visors cover. Nowhere I'm aware of legally allows tint on the main part of the windshield, at all.

Maybe we need a "Please post pics of your Yaris with aftermarket window tint here" thread.
Old 01-20-2017, 04:34 PM   #1664
ern-diz

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchpaddy View Post
Maybe we need a "Please post pics of your Yaris with aftermarket window tint here" thread.
Ha, no kidding.

On Wheelwell
Old 01-21-2017, 03:03 PM   #1665
SirDigby

my argument is: "well, is it illegal to wear sunglasses wile driving?"
I think it is safer to tint windows and have a clear windshield. also window tint is a safety device for side impact. :o
Old 01-22-2017, 10:49 AM   #1666
David C

Drives: White '07 3dr LB
Quote:
my argument is: "well, is it illegal to wear sunglasses wile driving?"
I think it is safer to tint windows and have a clear windshield. also window tint is a safety device for side impact. :o

Maybe it's because here front windows and windshield ting are illegal, but whenever I drive to a town where people have tinted all around, I can't help but think they don't care about their own safety and basic driving courtesy. If I can't see if there's someone in the driver seat of a parked car that looks about to take off (front wheels aimed out), I have to decide wether to ignore it or to slow down/make room for a sudden move of the other car. I don't mind a little tint tho, just as long as I can see you when I'm wearing sunglasses myself, safety factor isn't compromised.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
David C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 11:11 AM   #1667
scratchpaddy
Hubcap Enthusiast

It's also a problem for cyclists, who can't tell if a driver waiting to pull out from a side street has seen them or not.

You can also take off your sunglasses at night. Can't do that with tint.
Old 01-22-2017, 05:39 PM   #1668
SirDigby

oh yeah. I didn't think about bicycles. they don't follow the rules anyway. they are always running stoplights and signs. i'm surprised more don't get run over. they shouldn't even be allowed on the roads without proper lanes for them, then they should pay a licensing tax and have plates to ride on those. (imo)
the front windscreen is not tinted, so night driving is not a problem. (the 1% of the time I drive at night)
living in phoenix, i'm sure you can see the advantages of tint in the summertime...
Old 01-22-2017, 06:04 PM   #1669
David C

Drives: White '07 3dr LB
I used to be a bike mechanic and commute by bike year round, only reason why I have a car now is because of my job requirement. I agree lots of people don't ride accordingly to the laws and common safety sense, but so are many drivers too who take driving very lightly as if having a car shields you from the outside world and other road users.

For myself, I do obey all laws and signs wether I'm driving or riding. Which gives me the right to actually criticize those who don't and that applies indiscriminately to all road users.

I understand the benefits of tint in very warm and dry areas and I'm not against it. Just as long as people don't over do it or for the look factor. I strive for everyone's safety on the road.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
David C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 06:55 PM   #1670
scratchpaddy
Hubcap Enthusiast

Quote:
oh yeah. I didn't think about bicycles. they don't follow the rules anyway. they are always running stoplights and signs. i'm surprised more don't get run over. they shouldn't even be allowed on the roads without proper lanes for them, then they should pay a licensing tax and have plates to ride on those. (imo)
the front windscreen is not tinted, so night driving is not a problem. (the 1% of the time I drive at night)
living in phoenix, i'm sure you can see the advantages of tint in the summertime...
There are a lot of idiots on bikes. There are a lot of idiots in cars. I rode my bike to work for years. I follow all the rules. Get on a bike and ride down the road, and you'll be shocked at how bad some drivers are at looking where they're driving. On a bike, you have to be aware of what's going on all around you at all times, because not all the drivers follow the rules, and the consequences are a lot worse for the one on the bike.

I do appreciate tint here in Arizona, but unless you're using cheap dye tint (the kind that turns purple in a few years), darkness doesn't have much to do with heat rejection. Good, modern tints have coatings that block light in the UV and infrared spectrum, which is invisible, but it's where most of the heat comes from. 35% feels like a good middle ground to me.
Old 01-22-2017, 09:00 PM   #1671
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
When I'm driving I hate bicyclists.
When I'm biking I hate motorists.
When I'm walking I hate both.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 09:00 PM   #1672
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Quote:
Yes, more restrictions to people who want to use physical exercise as a means of transportation, just what is needed to send us back a few solid decades

Commute by bike for a few months, it will give you some insight and a full dimensional view of road use...and has the added benefit of becoming a better driver.

Sure some cyclists are arrogant asses, as are many drivers. But if you're going to be that guy that nit picks over a cyclists rolling a red or a stop sign when there is no car in sight on small side roads then you must also be that driver that makes sure they are going the exact speed as the speed limit, makes a complete stop at all lights and so on and so fourth. Oh and follow rules just for the sake of being a good rule follower even when it makes virtually no sense to.

I think it's time to tranfer this part of the thread over to the gen discussion. Poor OP cringing every time a new off topic post comes up
Old 01-22-2017, 11:31 PM   #1673
SirDigby

hahaha! this is a funny tire thread! I follow all laws except speed limit. (and tint law) I always stop for all stop signs, even if there is no one around. (someone might be hiding) rolling a stop sign is a 4 point ticket, same as doing 20 over the speed limit. I do ride my bicycle, but it's on the sidewalk to the bike trails. I never ride on highways or side roads because I know how hard cars are, and I don't want one to hit me so I am permanently damaged or dead. i'm not going to risk it because "i have the right of way." that's just arrogant and leads to dead. I don't even cross the walkway in front of cars at the supermarket. I will wave them by and walk when it's clear.
Old 02-12-2017, 02:34 AM   #1674
edspecR

Drives: NHP10
Quote:
hahaha! this is a funny tire thread! I follow all laws except speed limit. (and tint law) I always stop for all stop signs, even if there is no one around. (someone might be hiding) rolling a stop sign is a 4 point ticket, same as doing 20 over the speed limit. I do ride my bicycle, but it's on the sidewalk to the bike trails. I never ride on highways or side roads because I know how hard cars are, and I don't want one to hit me so I am permanently damaged or dead. i'm not going to risk it because "i have the right of way." that's just arrogant and leads to dead. I don't even cross the walkway in front of cars at the supermarket. I will wave them by and walk when it's clear.
i stopped reading after you said riding on sidewalks.
edspecR is offline   Reply With Quote