Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-19-2016, 05:37 PM   #37
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Good to know. Could play a part in how people look at the swap for auto x, etc especially if they boosted it.

Sent from m-o-b-i-l-e

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 10:19 PM   #38
3cyltrbo

Drives: MR2 Spyd/Type R/Yaris/Civic Si
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmstrongRacing View Post

And about emissions, everyone should check their own states laws before starting any swap. I already have permission from California to do this swap, I called in advance.
+1

Up here in Canadia (aka Canada), it varies from Province to Province and even different municipalities.

Where I live, I've never heard or seen of someone ever getting a ticket related to emissions / engine swaps etc....

And our emissions testing has moved away from sniffer tests (at least in my area) and now focuses solely on Check Engine Lights.

Personally If I go through with this swap, of a Toyota engine into a Toyota and one that will look like it belongs there, emissions and "Fix it Tickets" will be the farthest thing from my mind.
3cyltrbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 10:21 AM   #39
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Drives: That Scrappy 2zrVios
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkngrv View Post
Good to know. Could play a part in how people look at the swap for auto x, etc especially if they boosted it.
I agree the bigger differential and axles would add a bit of assurance, but the gearsets are still the same parts from the yaris C50. I personally know 6 guys racing with the Yaris trans and no issues. The Yaris is a stout little car, power is its only downside.
ArmstrongRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 10:35 AM   #40
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Quote:
I agree the bigger differential and axles would add a bit of assurance, but the gearsets are still the same parts from the yaris C50. I personally know 6 guys racing with the Yaris trans and no issues. The Yaris is a stout little car, power is its only downside.
As long as you're in the 150 hp range, you should be OK with the Yaris diff and drive shafts. If you plan on going into the 150-250 bhp range, I would recommend (without empirical evidence) going with the xD setup, if only because it is standard on vehicles with 150-200 stock bhp. Anything over 250 bhp will probably need custom shafts for longevity.

From a price standpoint, xD aftermarket diffs are normally cheaper than the Yaris, since it has more demand. For example, the Quaife QDF15E (Yaris) costs around $1100, whereas the QDF21E (xD/Celica/etc.) is normally under $1000. Keep in mind that the ring gear on the differential is NOT compatible between these two models, but the xD differential will potentially open up more options for final drive ratios--and potentially at a lower cost than the Yaris.

But enough talk about drive shafts. Let's get to that wiring! =)
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 11:25 AM   #41
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3cyltrbo View Post
+1

Up here in Canadia (aka Canada), it varies from Province to Province and even different municipalities.

Where I live, I've never heard or seen of someone ever getting a ticket related to emissions / engine swaps etc....

And our emissions testing has moved away from sniffer tests (at least in my area) and now focuses solely on Check Engine Lights.

Personally If I go through with this swap, of a Toyota engine into a Toyota and one that will look like it belongs there, emissions and "Fix it Tickets" will be the farthest thing from my mind.
The only thing you'd have to check with in Ontario is that I'm pretty sure they check to see if the ECU is giving off the correct vin that is on the body of the car. If not that may mean an instant failure of the e test. I'm sure you could easily get a waiver but I'd check into it before you do your swap. Let me know what the result is
Old 01-20-2016, 11:29 AM   #42
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
Wiring.. everyone's favorite part... RIGHT!

Looking good Armstrong!
Old 01-20-2016, 02:26 PM   #43
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Just a friendly reminder, if you have to replace the exhaust anyway, you should consider the xD long tube header from Fast Scions. I've got a mandrel bent 2.5" res-back kit that would be a great start on a mid-pipe for this. =)
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 03:03 PM   #44
Rigaud

Drives: 2009 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3cyltrbo View Post
+1

No municipality has a say in emissions in Canada. Regulated by Federal then Provincial.

2009 Toyota Yaris (Little toy)
2002 Audi A4 Avant Quattro 3.0L (Big boy toy)
1998 Subaru Legacy GT 2.5 (winter & DD)
Rigaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 03:07 PM   #45
Rigaud

Drives: 2009 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
The only thing you'd have to check with in Ontario is that I'm pretty sure they check to see if the ECU is giving off the correct vin that is on the body of the car. If not that may mean an instant failure of the e test. I'm sure you could easily get a waiver but I'd check into it before you do your swap. Let me know what the result is
No, you can replace the ECU...hence replacing it when it fails!!! Sniff test that's it via OBD. They check if theirs been any cel that popped up recently. Straight forward. My friend nearby in Kawkesbury just went through it with his Audi URS4.

2009 Toyota Yaris (Little toy)
2002 Audi A4 Avant Quattro 3.0L (Big boy toy)
1998 Subaru Legacy GT 2.5 (winter & DD)
Rigaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 03:45 PM   #46
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
so they don't check if the OBD is giving off the matching VIN to the body of the car? I thought if you end up installing a new ECU because the stock one was dmaaged then the dealership reprograms it to match the VIN of your car?

If that is the case then ya it'd be no issue.
Old 01-20-2016, 10:35 PM   #47
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

If you were lucky enough to source a Xd engine harness, the plugs on the fusebox end are a direct match and the only wiring changes needed invole the speed sensor and MAF sensor.

CA2- top left
CA1- top right
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (241.0 KB, 668 views)

Last edited by ArmstrongRacing; 01-20-2016 at 11:30 PM.
Old 01-20-2016, 11:10 PM   #48
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Here are the highlighted pins that need swapping.

1) If you keep the Yaris transmission: Move the speed sensor wires over to the same spots in the Xd plug CA2.

1a) If you use the Xd transmission, your car better have ABS to steal the speed signal from....those are the only options I know of at this time regarding speed signals.

2) The MAF sensor power wire at CA2#9 has no supporting pin in the Yaris fusebox. I tried removing this wire from the plug and soldering it to another +12v wire in the fuse box...but the MAF voltage would fluctuate. My final fix was to cut the power wire 8" from the MAF plug and run a dedicated power wire via a mini-add-a-circuit in a IG switched fuse location.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (143.2 KB, 665 views)
Old 01-20-2016, 11:43 PM   #49
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

If you couldn't locate a Xd harness than your swap(like mine) is going to be much more involved wiring wise...

The Corolla harness has 3 plugs on the fusebox end and none of them match the yaris. You must move every single wire to its corresponding location in the yaris' CA1 and CA2 plugs.(I'm almost done). In addition to re-pinning, you will also have to cut the 2zr harness battery cables going to the starter/alternator and connect them to your 1nz harness cables for the extra length and the proper ends....lots of work.

NOTE: You can see my mini add-a-circuit for the MAF here
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (266.4 KB, 664 views)
Old 01-21-2016, 04:24 AM   #50
beaker

Drives: 07 Yaris 3 door
Quote:
Here are the highlighted pins that need swapping.

1) If you keep the Yaris transmission: Move the speed sensor wires over to the same spots in the Xd plug CA2.

1a) If you use the Xd transmission, your car better have ABS to steal the speed signal from....those are the only options I know of at this time regarding speed signals.

2) The MAF sensor power wire at CA2#9 has no supporting pin in the Yaris fusebox. I tried removing this wire from the plug and soldering it to another +12v wire in the fuse box...but the MAF voltage would fluctuate. My final fix was to cut the power wire 8" from the MAF plug and run a dedicated power wire via a mini-add-a-circuit in a IG switched fuse location.
So the MAF (CA2#9) needs to see +12volts with ignition on? It's not a signal coming out of the MAF with variable voltage output going back into the ECM?
beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 04:37 AM   #51
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
I understand what your saying but can I suggest a bit of rewording... Try to do a step by step process in 1 post for the wiring with what you have acquired (yaris harness and yaris Trans).
-Then have a separate post if you use the yaris harness with xD trans,
-another post for yaris trans with the xD harness,
-and another post for the xD harness and xD trans.

After that is done, if you could go ahead and mention corolla parts.

You are mixing scenario's up in 2 different posts and I can see how this can get confusing and intimidating for someone who is a newbie with wiring. I used to work for Toyota and Lexus for 6 years, so its a bit easier for me to understand.

Great job though. looks fun, I can't wait to do this to mine! I have been talking about doing this for a LOOONG time when I found out that the 2zr was the Yaris TS version.
Old 01-21-2016, 07:07 AM   #52
fredovvti

Drives: Yaris 07 HB
If I get a complete xD harness and use the Yaris trans, I only have to move the pins that you mention in post #48 to the correct location of the plugs ends and that its?
fredovvti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 10:07 AM   #53
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaker View Post
So the MAF (CA2#9) needs to see +12volts with ignition on? It's not a signal coming out of the MAF with variable voltage output going back into the ECM?
Correct. The MAF black wire is the power supply to the sensor....the other 4 wires go directly to the ECM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredovvti View Post
If I get a complete xD harness and use the Yaris trans, I only have to move the pins that you mention in post #48 to the correct location of the plugs ends and that its?
Correct, for now. There is more wiring later but this is all regarding the engine.

Last edited by ArmstrongRacing; 01-30-2016 at 06:29 PM.
Old 01-21-2016, 10:32 AM   #54
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikerice View Post
You are mixing scenario's up in 2 different posts and I can see how this can get confusing and intimidating for someone who is a newbie with wiring.
Im sorry for the confusion, but I mention the Corolla harness because thats what I'm using on my 2zr/yaris trans buid. I wanted to test ALL of the Corolla parts so no one else would have to. I want this to be easy for everyone, so again just to be clear........aside from the actual engine and accesories, USE EVERY PART FROM A SCION XD.

I know you guys would prefer this diy be formatted a certain way, but I am sharing this info with you guys as I go.

Last edited by ArmstrongRacing; 01-21-2016 at 10:59 AM.