Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-10-2017, 09:57 PM   #1
Wanderer777

Drives: 2001 Toyota Echo
UEL header for the 1NZ?

Hey guys, I'm going to cut straight to the point, I own an 01 Echo and figured I'd come here since our cars have the same motor (North American spec). The title basically explains it all, I'm interested in having an unequal length header made for my car almost mainly for the Subaru-esque rumble *which I know is partially due to their firing order (I've seen several videos of other non Subaru's with UEL's on and they sound pretty good). I already have an aftermarket muffler (not a fart can)..or axleback for better use of words I suppose, everything from the rear torsion bar afterward is 2.25 inches on my car so the exhaust isn't totally stock and sounds good. Don't flame me. I tried the search function beforehand and didn't really find anything lol. Thanks for letting me join.

I'm aware that there is a little research that goes into this but has anyone here done it? I'm sure it's not as simple as just making a couple pipes longer than the others. I would be using another OEM manifold as a base..for the flange and what not. Thank you and any valuable input regarding the idea would be welcome. Thanks again.

Last edited by Wanderer777; 01-11-2017 at 12:15 AM.
Wanderer777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 11:50 PM   #2
SirDigby

Drives: 2007 yaris 3 door
I had to look up what that is. I've never heard of such a thing. if i'm correct it means: UnEqual Length runners on the exhaust manifold. it makes no sense to do such a thing unless there is a space issue. there is math involved...
Subaru sounds so stupid because it's two 2 cylinder engines running in opposition.
SirDigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 01:20 AM   #3
KenTK808

Drives: 2014 Yaris LE
Our cars dont have enough space. You would have to make it slightly spaghetti looking. Like two normal and the other two go in like a loop. You would have to get it to like 18% unequal length or more to get the rumble. It would hurt performance just FYI. Subarus that run equal length generally all make more power.
KenTK808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 09:00 AM   #4
Wanderer777

Drives: 2001 Toyota Echo
Yeah I was aware of the way it would affect performance. I also started wondering how much space there was after I posted this. Thanks guys. ��
Wanderer777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 01:38 AM   #5
malibuguy
Obsessed with 1.5L

Drives: '10 PW Yaris Sedan
Not worth the hassle to be honest.

Ive had several other 4cyl people contact me to make them headers to sound like a subaru. I tell them to go buy a subaru.

I say a similar thing to v6 mustang morons that ask me to make it sound like a v8...i tell them we need to do a v8 swap

-10 PW sedan 107whp/110wtq, full exhaust, suspension bits, TRD LSD
-06 Highlander 3mzfe Limited AWD
-82 Malibu, 1uzfe swap
-97 Tercel coupe, 1nzfe/4.31
-96 Tercel coupe, Turbo 5efe, autoX
-96 Tercel 4dr
malibuguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 01:02 PM   #6
SirDigby

Drives: 2007 yaris 3 door
tell them to disconnect a sparkplug/fuel injector. it will sound mostly like a Subaru...
SirDigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 01:10 AM   #7
EchoLaQua

Drives: Toyota Echo Turbo
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1cJcrSIyWQc
That is my Echo with an Uel (turbo) manifold. Space was a big factor in my application so there wasn't a great deal of science involved in regards to sound or flow (it's turbo, so flow isn't really an issue unless I start shooting for stupid amounts of power) it was just "I want the turbo here, make it happen" (more or less).
EchoLaQua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 11:09 PM   #8
Elwe2k
XP10 Enthusiast

Drives: 2000 Echo Coupe
I think you'll get a good, deep exhaust note by just adding a CAI and a header. In my case, the lower part of the airbox is missing at the moment (broke it after I tried to adjust it, too much rattle on idle) and now it has this subaru-like intake sound because of that. Although I don't recommend you to do this, you could miss your filter while driving, mine's attached to the upper part of the airbag with a wire....

Have to install a CAI though... just for the sake of it.

Tags
echo, header, uel