Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-04-2008, 10:34 PM   #1
Sodium Duck
╚══════════RN

Drives: 2008 Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Sodium Duck
CB radio's - who has them?

I hate how I can't search for words less than 3 letters. I just want to know who's got CB's and see some pictures of your installs.

I know for sure at least one member here has one. I talked with him before the hack, and he had installed an antenna in place of the old AM/FM antenna. But I lost the PM's obviously - doh!
Old 11-04-2008, 11:04 PM   #2
sportin83

Drives: 2008 blazing blue yaris LB
y do people still use cb's? i see why semi drivers do cause it keeps then in touch with whats goin on with scales and police. but with all the technology y would u want a cb? get a cell phone.

mods: custom sub box, i hit 141.4 db, new speakers, double-din nav, foglights, cruise, CAI, strut brace, under car braces, short antenna, remote start, alarm, actuators in doors and hatch

coming soon: window tint, custom sub grills, tach and........
sportin83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 11:13 PM   #3
Sodium Duck
╚══════════RN

Hmm, maybe I want to know where the cops are too, or why the traffic is stopped up ahead, or to get NOAA weather reports, or if I'm in an area that *gasp* doesn't have cell phone service (thanks - I do have one), or just to chat while I'm on the highway (which is most of my commute), or just because I like CB's?

So fart on that! lol
Old 11-04-2008, 11:55 PM   #4
Spades
The Hated One

Drives: 07 White Manual Sedan
nah, cb's are okay for the average joe i suppose...however, having been on the road alot with my dad when he was driving comercial trucks...some people should not have them.

for example, anyone in a jacked up 4x4 that has a handle that starts with "Big" and a short or compound name...example: Big Rick, Big Jimmy Joe, ect.

or anyone under the age of 20 in general...or anyone that gets their kicks by being a douche or trying to find a woman to hook up with.

that being said, anyone who wants to use a cb for the reasons sodium mentioned, by all means. while i wish i had one in my car on more than one occasion, i dont have room for it.
Old 11-05-2008, 01:48 PM   #5
sportin83

Drives: 2008 blazing blue yaris LB
i guess they could be useful, but the range isnt great and there have always been a ton of idiots on cb's when i was around em so it seemed like a waste of a time.

mods: custom sub box, i hit 141.4 db, new speakers, double-din nav, foglights, cruise, CAI, strut brace, under car braces, short antenna, remote start, alarm, actuators in doors and hatch

coming soon: window tint, custom sub grills, tach and........
sportin83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 02:38 PM   #6
WolfWings

Drives: Silver 2007 3Dr - Gryph
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodium Duck View Post
I hate how I can't search for words less than 3 letters. I just want to know who's got CB's and see some pictures of your installs.

I know for sure at least one member here has one. I talked with him before the hack, and he had installed an antenna in place of the old AM/FM antenna. But I lost the PM's obviously - doh!
That'd be me! The stock AM/FM antenna mount is an excellent location for a medium or short antenna. In the process of installing a remote-head old (23 channel) CB radio so all the controls will be on the mic and I'll just have a jack in the dash I plug the mic into, no box cluttering up space on the dash itself.
Old 11-05-2008, 02:59 PM   #7
slothman86

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
Anyone have pics of their setup (CB)?
Old 11-05-2008, 09:23 PM   #8
Reddog99

Drives: '08 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportin83 View Post
i guess they could be useful, but the range isnt great and there have always been a ton of idiots on cb's when i was around em so it seemed like a waste of a time.
While I can't disagree that there are a ton of idiots on the airwaves, the comment about short range is only true with a lot of qualifiers. I have personally talked all over the world on a CB (Australia, Columbia, Peru, Japan, Italy, etc). Range will depend on general atmospheric and solar conditions, on antenna quality and proper setup, and on a quality radio. A CB may not be your cup of tea, but they can be fun.
Reddog99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 10:13 PM   #9
Appalachian Trail 2007

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
I would love to pick up a CB radio but my problem is the same as sodium's (I think). I'm trying to figure out a way to install the antenna without creating too much extra drag.

Appalachian Trail 2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 10:45 PM   #10
Sodium Duck
╚══════════RN

I'm already decided on where my antenna's are going. Right in front of the side view mirrors. One will be my new AM/FM antenna, the other for the CB.

I'm going to a CB shop tommorow, I'm not sure how reputable it is though... I'm going to buy 2 Wilson FGT's.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:53 PM   #11
Stargate YARlantIS

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Hmm, maybe I want to know where the cops are too, or why the traffic is stopped up ahead, or to get NOAA weather reports, or if I'm in an area that *gasp* doesn't have cell phone service (thanks - I do have one), or just to chat while I'm on the highway (which is most of my commute), or just because I like CB's?

So fart on that! lol
SHAZAAAM!!!! and BOOYA! LOL, how's that for kickin' it old skool!?@?

Peace, Love and Good Smoke!
--Tommy Chong
Stargate YARlantIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 10:59 PM   #12
LtNoogie

Drives: '08 Bayou Blue LB AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportin83 View Post
y do people still use cb's? ... get a cell phone.
I have a handheld Midland CB because there are still some places in the western states where cell phone service is spotty. If I take my Jeep off the main road, the CB might be the only way I can call for help.

If the prices ever come down for the handsets and airtime, I'll get a satellite phone.
LtNoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 05:08 AM   #13
WolfWings

Drives: Silver 2007 3Dr - Gryph
Quote:
Originally Posted by slothman86 View Post
Anyone have pics of their setup (CB)?
Pictures of my test-fit setup. The final setup for the antenna is the same mount, FireStik for the quick-disconnect and a 3' FireStik antenna. I haven't taken updated pictures of the antenna configuration yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddog99 View Post
Range will depend on general atmospheric and solar conditions, on antenna quality and proper setup, and on a quality radio. A CB may not be your cup of tea, but they can be fun.
Amen. A poorly (or god-forbid, entirely un)tuned 108" stainless-steel whip antenna (the 'gold standard' to compare antenna's to for CB use) can be lucky to recieve anything when parked in the parking lot of a truck stop. At the same time, a carefully-tuned and well placed 24-36" fiberglass antenna (what most stores call a CB antenna) can easilly recieve from 10 miles away on the Yaris, mine regularly has about a 6-7 mile useful range. And that's on the cheap $25 radio-shack CB radio I'm using with no power filtering AND using the same antenna to drive my AM/FM radio to boot.

When buying a CB, blow $100 on the antenna and cable and $25 on the radio, not the other way 'round.

Quote:
I'm already decided on where my antenna's are going. Right in front of the side view mirrors. One will be my new AM/FM antenna, the other for the CB.

I'm going to a CB shop tommorow, I'm not sure how reputable it is though... I'm going to buy 2 Wilson FGT's.
That will result in horrible reception. The two antenna's driving seperate devices but so similair in tune to each other will cause all sorts of wierd interferance. Get a proper co-phased antenna harness if you're going to drive two antenna's, and get an AM/FM splitter like the Firestik's AR-1A and you'll get several times the performance of 'dedicated' AM/FM and CB antenna's.

But honestly, I think a single 2' antenna replacing the stock AM/FM antenna would get you better performance. The roof where the stock AM/FM antenna is mounted is a huge, flat sheet of metal that can easilly serve as a ground-plane (though not safely support without warping and eventually tearing!) for a full-height 108" whip antenna. Drag is a complete non-issue, get a proper light-weight spring and flexible antenna, you're good to go.
Old 11-06-2008, 07:25 AM   #14
Sodium Duck
╚══════════RN

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWings View Post
That will result in horrible reception. The two antenna's driving seperate devices but so similair in tune to each other will cause all sorts of wierd interferance. Get a proper co-phased antenna harness if you're going to drive two antenna's, and get an AM/FM splitter like the Firestik's AR-1A and you'll get several times the performance of 'dedicated' AM/FM and CB antenna's.
I was told up and down on a CB site to avoid them at all costs. They said the best route was going to be to leep them separate. Any more info?

And besides, the AM/FM is just recieving signal, how will it interfere with my CB?
Old 11-06-2008, 08:42 AM   #15
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb
I'm an avid off-roader and use it frequently on the trail. It still has a place among the big rigs as well as dangerous situations on the trail
KCALB SIRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 09:30 AM   #16
nsmitchell

Drives: LB-Auto-PWR-ABS-Cruise-Springs
I love CBs. My brother had one in the 1980s with a "linear" signal amplifier. They were illegal as hell - too much power. That setup would light up a flourescent light held close to it. We once were parked ouside my mom's house in Richmond, Virginia talking to a guy in Topeka, Kansas!

Very awesome for emergencies!
nsmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 05:08 PM   #17
Appalachian Trail 2007

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
Does anyone know of a flat panel CB antenna? OR does anyone know why this wouldn't work?

<---don't know much about antennas

Appalachian Trail 2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 05:16 PM   #18
Sodium Duck
╚══════════RN

Flat panel? What do you mean, like an antenna that is a 2'X2' piece of sheet metal?