Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-21-2010, 09:49 PM   #1
az_saguaro
What to Mod Next?

Drives: 2008 3Dr HB, Bayou Blue
Pic of my new E-Brake handle

I installed a NRG E-Brake handle yesterday and took a pic to share. The handle is the universal brushed aluminum. I ordered from Andy's Auto Sport for $22. You can also see the leather shift and ebrake boots supplied by Garm. Installation isn't for the light hearted. To get a good fit I had to first remove the ebrake boot. I had heard that it may be possible to remove the plastic handle by pulling it straight towards the front of the car. However, mine didn't budge, not even a little, no matter how I persuaded it. So I used my dremel to cut two small paths down the top center of the handle. Then using an old flat blade screw driver and a hammer I chipped away the handle. At first it took a bit of hammering, but once the first couple of pieces chipped out the rest of the handle broke away easily. After the handle was off I unscrewed the button and cut the black part of the button off leaving the full yellow part. To get the best fit possible for the new handle, using a hacksaw I had to cut about 3/8" of the aluminum lever that equates to about the middle of the hole in the top of the ebrake handle. After that, the handle slid on the remainder of the lever and fit nicely, the leather boot slides up over the set screws in the handle and fits beautifully into a ring cut into the handle for just this reason. It matches the OBX shift knob from Toyota perfectly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_2225.jpg (163.7 KB, 304 views)
az_saguaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 11:41 PM   #2
heeroyuy01195
Post count means nothing.

Drives: AW11, NCP91, Old Motorcycles
looks awesome, so the stock button just screws off like a normal bolt?
heeroyuy01195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 11:52 PM   #3
az_saguaro
What to Mod Next?

Drives: 2008 3Dr HB, Bayou Blue
The stock button is two pieces, a black cap (the part you see) and a nylon threaded insert (translucent yellow and hidden by the handle). I believe the cap is pressed onto the insert. I originally started to sand the cap down as it didn't pull off easily. After I tried that on the new handle, it was still a bit too long. So, I started to cut the cap off and about halfway through the entire cap popped off. Which is exactly what I wanted. With the cap off the new button cap slid on easily. Then I just screwed it back onto the threaded rod that runs down the center of the lever to latch pawl.
az_saguaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 12:53 AM   #4
QR25DE_SpecV

Drives: 2006 Sentra SpecV
Not my cup of tea. Spells autozone special to me.

Quote:
It's not what you drive, but what drives you
QR25DE_SpecV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 04:54 AM   #5
CtrlAltDefeat
I ♥ Yaris

Drives: Black 08 LB MT & red 97 Miata
not bad... matches your shift knob and pedals well

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure
and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell
CtrlAltDefeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 09:48 AM   #6
eii
Rides canyon walls

Drives: 1988 RX7 FC 10th AE
Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlAltDefeat View Post
not bad... matches your shift knob and pedals well
+1

If not for those 2 other things, then yeah it would look wack, but it looks good as a whole. also seems to go well with the rest of the silver paneling in the yaris so its a good theme. +2

OEM Style Wing Spoiler | TRD Axle-Back Exhaust | Megan Lowering Springs (1.5 f/r) | Simota Carbon Charger Intake | Python 871XP Alarm System | Aluminum Sports Pedal | 17x7 +42mm Enkei J10 Black w/ Silver Lip | 205/40 Falken Ziex-912 | NST Lite Crank Pulley Red | 1ZZ-FE Throttle Body | AMK Racing Header
eii is offline   Reply With Quote