Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-11-2007, 06:01 PM   #1
jdubau55

Drives: 2007 White Yaris LB 5 Spd.
Send a message via AIM to jdubau55 Send a message via Yahoo to jdubau55
FINALLY installed my amp\sub

Well I spent about 4 hours today tearing apart my Egg. Finally finished up the install. I ended up putting the amp in the rear where the right hand storage tray would go. I just moved the jack and jack handle over into the left storage tray. Fits great side to side, but I'm going to have to get some velcro to keep it from moving front to back. I put the sub on the left side of the rear deck. Looks pretty smooth and still retains about 3/4 the trunk space. The worst part was trying to get the rear panels off enough to get the the rear speaker plug so I could tap into the rear speaker wires to go into my hi-level input on my amp.
jdubau55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 08:05 PM   #2
Razr
YRS WHOR

Drives: White 2007 Yaris E-Limited 5dr

C'mon, get some snaps!
Razr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 08:09 PM   #3
jdubau55

Would if I had a decent cam and it wasnt dark out. Will try to snap some with my phone. The wires arent very neat, but will prolly stay that way in case I ever want to transfer the system over I'll have enough wire to do so.
Old 03-12-2007, 05:08 PM   #4
jdubau55

Took some pictures today. Sorry, I took them with my phone so...you get what you can. The amp is held in with a few strips of industrial velcro on the bottom. It fits pretty snug side to side. Almost perfect actually. The sub isnt secured but its pretty tough to move in due to the carpet on carpet. It's almost like velcro.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg trunk_1.jpeg (20.7 KB, 248 views)
File Type: jpeg trunk_2.jpeg (31.7 KB, 245 views)
Old 03-12-2007, 07:26 PM   #5
Razr
YRS WHOR

Drives: White 2007 Yaris E-Limited 5dr
Hrmm, you have an entirely different rear floor and back seat to me.

Is the amp screwed down? Last thing you'd want is to stamp on the brakes and have something short out.

Also, have you exprimented with the sub position to see what effect it has on vehicle loading? If not, try tipping it up so the sub itself is vertical and firing towards the rear of the car - you might get a nice surprise :)
Razr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 09:02 PM   #6
jdubau55

I wish I could get it firing towards the rear. Unfortunently it is too tall to sit up with the rear cargo cover on. I want to keep it on there to keep the sub out of view of prying eyes. I may just put it so the fat end is towards the seat so it at least tilts towards the rear. The amp is not screwed down, but is velcro'd. It would take a lot of braking g's to break the shear force of the velcro. Its plenty secure I made sure of that. I think I may move the sub more towards the center and facing more rearward. Due to the hatch design I could almost tell where the sub was in the rear, which I don't like at all. A custom box would be ideal but I don't have the $ for that nor the proper tools to make a decent one.

I have the non split seat. So maybe you have the split one. The rear floor has the "Yaris" cargo mat in it that some don't. It's just a big piece of carpet.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:54 AM   #7
earljail

Drives: 07 Yaris Hatch 5speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubau55 View Post
I wish I could get it firing towards the rear. Unfortunently it is too tall to sit up with the rear cargo cover on.
Too bad- it might be louder firing toward the rear.

Quote:
The amp is not screwed down, but is velcro'd. It would take a lot of braking g's to break the shear force of the velcro. Its plenty secure I made sure of that. .
It isn't the braking force you need to be worry about- it's the accident force... A sub box in the back of the head would kill you. Also, bolting it down makes it harder to steal.

I know custom boxes are expensive, but when you can afford it, try to find a "wedge" shaped box meant for hatchbacks. Some car audio stores carry premade ones just for hatches. Obviously, you'ld have to measure the height.
earljail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 04:11 PM   #8
jdubau55

Well, right now if the sub can jerk the speaker wire out, go through the cargo hatch, up over the rear seat, and still fly and hit me square in the head....the crash would be so severe the sub box hitting me would be the last of my worries. Im gonna go outside and mess with it some more this evening.
Old 03-13-2007, 05:04 PM   #9
earljail

Drives: 07 Yaris Hatch 5speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubau55 View Post
Well, right now if the sub can jerk the speaker wire out, go through the cargo hatch, up over the rear seat, and still fly and hit me square in the head....the crash would be so severe the sub box hitting me would be the last of my worries.
That's probably true!
earljail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 06:21 PM   #10
jdubau55

Did some tweaks. Stood the sub up so it faces the rear. As long as the hatch isnt open its fine. When I open the hatch though the sub makes the left side of the cargo cover pop off the knob. Oh well, it sounds better. Also tweaked the HU and gains on the amp a lil bit to put the bass more in where I usually listen to the volume at.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:47 PM   #11
bigsky2
Cousin Vitz

Drives: Yaris RS 5DR / Vitz RS wannabe
boom boom boom!
Old 03-14-2007, 02:05 AM   #12
bido4

Drives: o6 Yaris S
nice nice. what amp have you got in there? is there enough ventilation for it also? i was thinking of putting my amp in that exact same spot, but ventilation was my worry. you should bolt it onto the seat.
bido4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 02:06 AM   #13
bido4

Drives: o6 Yaris S
ohh and i want that carpet that says yaris on it! LOL

whats your ICE setup ?
bido4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 10:45 AM   #14
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
...onto the seat? How about under the passenger's seat with some locking door casters to make it easy to retrieve it and make adjustments?
Old 03-14-2007, 07:17 PM   #15
jdubau55

I think it will be fine where it is. I have some spare computer vent fans I can put in there to stir the air if it ever cuts off due to heat. Def not on the seat. Im not screwing anything to the car. I want stuff that isnt permanent.

The Yaris carpet is part of the Convience package I asume. Custom fit carpet mats all around.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:41 PM   #16
JustYYaris

Drives: 2007 Blazing Blue Hatch M/T
Nice setup, is that a infinity sub?
JustYYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 09:51 PM   #17
jdubau55

Indeed it is. Kappa Perfect 10....I think. Its pretty old.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:34 AM   #18
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
One of Infinity's better products IMHO.