Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-20-2011, 08:46 PM   #1
wishupon7stars
I've made a post!

Drives: 2009 Silver Yaris Sedan
Help with my speakers!

I just bought my 2009 Yaris sedan about three months ago. I absolutely love it but I've noticed that my rear, passenger-side speaker is terrible. Whenever there's any bass whatsoever, it rattles and I have to turn down my radio. I have the Platinum protection service agreement but it's unclear if speakers are covered or not. First off, does anyone have any idea if there is a quick fix before I go to the dealer or if a warranty would cover it? Thanks!
wishupon7stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 09:14 PM   #2
swidd

Drives: Yaris HB
Yeah, quick fix is go to www.sonicelectronix.com and buy this or this or something similar; any 6.5" will fit. Hopefully someone else will recommend a speaker/brand more suitable for non-amplified yaris applications.

Rip out the door panel and install a new speaker.

You can have the dealer install the same crappy speaker and just have the same problem again when you turn the volume up again, or fix it with decent speakers and be done with it. The OEM speaker is a thin paper speaker with a quarter-size "magnet", and will never produce good sound.

Also, if its a rattle sound etc, ebay some "B-Quiet" and go berserk with some sound dampening. Or if its a speaker bracket that's vibrating, try squeezing something behind it so it won't be so loose.

Also... see if you can get a pro-rated refund on your platinum warranty. Its most likely a $1000 rip-off. Apply the refund to your loan or take it and buy speakers =) If you're in NE PA I can help you install.

Last edited by swidd; 02-20-2011 at 09:25 PM.
swidd is offline   Reply With Quote