Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-17-2010, 09:52 PM   #55
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
I took these shots of my engine.
The top one shows Some crud building up on the rear corner of the valve cover.
The others are what I think you are talking about?
My head seems clean and dry, do you agree?
BTW, I use a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS2 for quality closeups...
Leica lens, can't go wrong......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1000592.JPG (158.3 KB, 165 views)
File Type: jpg P1000590.JPG (131.2 KB, 164 views)
File Type: jpg P1000600.JPG (147.3 KB, 164 views)
File Type: jpg P1000601.JPG (159.3 KB, 163 views)

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 12:42 AM   #56
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
+1, my 2010 has what looks to be an oilly dusty residue under it also in select locations...... ill take another look when i get a chance but i think its jsut road residue.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:12 AM   #57
firemachine69
School'er of hard knocks

Drives: Silver Yaris 4dr. HB
Soooo... Where am I looking for this leak?
firemachine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 01:17 PM   #58
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
AUXMIKE , my valve cover gasket is fine for both YARIS . When I do oil changes I'm very carefull not to spill oil when pouring it in with a funnel . Do you do your own oil changes ? If not , maybe they spilled some . As for the oil leak , it comes from the exposed black head gasket in the picture you took ( very clear ) . I circled it in RED ( part of exposed gasket is to the left ( black) , rest of it is under the head ) . The ARROW I drew shows that the oil leaks from under the gasket and downward . To check for the oil leak you'll need to reach around to the back of the engine and then run either your index / middle finger ( ) under the exposed part of gasket from right to left to gather the any possible oil . If you find oil or a black soot or both you may have the leak . You may want to take some paper towels and window cleaner ( cuts through the grime , oil ) and clean that area thoroughly and then recheck after 100 milles or greater . Then recheck several more times . I suggest you do it when the engine is cold or wait a little while to cool off . Learned my lesson the hard way . Let us know what you find . Hopefully it's fine .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1000600.JPG (63.8 KB, 153 views)

Last edited by Hershey; 10-18-2010 at 02:52 PM.
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 01:51 PM   #59
Hershey

Seems like when you put the car in 3rd going down hills the oil leak speeds up , probably due to the back pressure from within the cylinder ( #1 ) . Therefore may want to do this to get more oil to seep from the gasket .

Last edited by Hershey; 10-18-2010 at 02:55 PM.
Old 10-19-2010, 01:03 AM   #60
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershey View Post
Seems like when you put the car in 3rd going down hills the oil leak speeds up , probably due to the back pressure from within the cylinder ( #1 ) . Therefore may want to do this to get more oil to seep from the gasket .
how did u check the leak when u were in 3rd going downhill?

seems dangerous.....lol
Old 10-19-2010, 12:11 PM   #61
Hershey

Yup , don't try this at home kids . The leak should speed up for quicker results when checking for it .

Last edited by Hershey; 10-19-2010 at 12:47 PM.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:34 PM   #62
33OH

Drives: '08 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris2010RS View Post
how did u check the leak when u were in 3rd going downhill?

seems dangerous.....lol
33OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 12:48 PM   #63
Hershey

Cool .
Old 10-19-2010, 11:57 PM   #64
Hershey

Well , it's confirmed . We went back earlier this evening to see if our friends 2010 3 door had leaked more oil from the exposed gasket and more fresh oil was found since I checked it this past SATURDAY , which was wet with oil and then thoroughly recleaned . He had drove it about 600 miles since SATURDAY . He uses it for his business and has close to 49,000 miles on it since purchased new in OCTOBER of '09 . I showed him and his wife the fresh oil that gatherd on my fingertips . This was the 3rd time to discover oil in that same area as our 2010 L.B. . We figure these cars were manufactured about 4 > 5 months apart . We got ours in JANUARY of 2010 . So , this is the 3rd YARIS with a head gasket that leaks oil . Our 2008 sedan ( head gasket replaced w/ no leak so far ) , our 2010 3 door , and his 2010 3 door . We plan to look at other used YARIS and try to see if those have the same leak . This seems to cover 2007 > 2010 . Hopefully not the 2011s ' . Time will tell .
Old 11-10-2010, 04:22 PM   #65
2007yariz

Drives: Yaris sedan
To auxmike: Thanks for the pics, mine looks exactly like that. Any updates Mike?

It surprised me that they used white rubber to seal the engine? if you look closely at Mike's pics...

To Hershey: How many threads did you create lol. I am happy for you that TOYOTA took care of you with 8 year / 125,000 mile powertrain warranty for your Yaris. How is the PYB GF5 SN doing in your Yaris? Any difference?
2007yariz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 06:09 PM   #66
auxmike

I have'nt stuck my hand back there since taking the pics
I wish others WOULD check and post pics if possible. I do have the black soot stuff, but no "live" oil leak to be seen.
I just got done replacing a WATER PUMP that began to LEAK at a whopping 30,000mi of use in 2 years. I've NEVER had a pump go that fast, not even on my old Saturns!
I'm not gonna lose sleep about checking for oil leaks back there. I think I would rather live with a small leak vs. having them teardown my engine and screw it up in other ways...

Old 11-10-2010, 06:20 PM   #67
auxmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershey View Post
AUXMIKE , my valve cover gasket is fine for both YARIS . When I do oil changes I'm very carefull not to spill oil when pouring it in with a funnel . Do you do your own oil changes ? If not , maybe they spilled some . As for the oil leak , it comes from the exposed black head gasket in the picture you took ( very clear ) . I circled it in RED ( part of exposed gasket is to the left ( black) , rest of it is under the head ) . The ARROW I drew shows that the oil leaks from under the gasket and downward . To check for the oil leak you'll need to reach around to the back of the engine and then run either your index / middle finger ( ) under the exposed part of gasket from right to left to gather the any possible oil . If you find oil or a black soot or both you may have the leak . You may want to take some paper towels and window cleaner ( cuts through the grime , oil ) and clean that area thoroughly and then recheck after 100 milles or greater . Then recheck several more times . I suggest you do it when the engine is cold or wait a little while to cool off . Learned my lesson the hard way . Let us know what you find . Hopefully it's fine .
Upon examining this pic again it does look fishy that that black dust seems to almost stick to the spots were it would leak. almost like the oil is outgassing just enough to attract airborne dust.
I might try using a q-tip to really get in that gasket spot and see if anything shows up from where a finger won't fit...

Old 11-10-2010, 11:45 PM   #68
Hershey

AUXMIKE , by the looks of the picture you took it seems you may have the oil leak . This is how I found our friends 2010 YARIS with 48,000+ miles and the 2008 with 17,000+ miles. It's best to thoroughly clean the whole area ( especially the underside of the gasket , circled in GREEN ) in the picture with paper towel(s) soaked with windex or other solvent that would cut through the oily residue ( oil mixed w/ road dust , etc. ) and wipe dry with paper towels . Then leave it alone for 100 pus miles miles ( or more ) and check with the swipe of a fingertip(s) or a Q-tip on the underside of the exposed part of the head cylinder gasket ( you'll notice the side of the black gasket ( circled in GREEN ) that then goes under the head and then comes back out from under to the right ( circled in GREEN ) . The oil leaks from under the gasket , that's where you run your fingertip(s) , Q-tips to gather fresh oil . May want to reclean and recheck few more times for verification ( O.C.D. ) . Clean the top , front , sides , and under the large ledge / lip ( picture below ) that's part of the lower block . That collects fresh oil as well and runs down along the timing chain cover sealant to the oil pan over a period of time . Hopefully your car is fine . Know how you feel about having your motor and other items of the car removed for the fix . The friend of ours doesn't want anyone looking or tearing apart his 2010 that has the same leak . That's part of reason we asked for the free extended warranty . We will be bringing the 2010 in for the replacement as soon as enough oil gathers to present it to the mechanic(s) .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1000600.JPG (64.4 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC0136.jpg (94.9 KB, 96 views)

Last edited by Hershey; 11-11-2010 at 03:06 AM.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:55 AM   #69
Hershey

" It surprized me me that they used white rubber to seal the engine "

They resealed the 2008 with the black Form In Place Gasket ( F.I.P.G. ) sealant . Seems to be of better quality than that from the factory .

"How many threads did you create , L.O.L. "

Enough to get anyones attention .

" I am happy for you that TOYOTA took care of you with 8 year / 125,000 mile powertrain warranty for your YARIS "

Us too , thank you .

" How is the PYB GF-5 SN doing in your YARIS ? Any Difference ? "

Seems to be fine , not aware of any improvements . Did get 42.17 miles per gallon on a fill since the oil change . Can't say for sure it was partly due to the S.N. , GF-5 engine oil . Still can't knock it , especially for an engine that leaks oil from the head cylinder gasket of the #1 cylinder . Maybe we should skip the fix for the automatic 2010 3 door with gas mileage like that .
Old 11-11-2010, 11:42 AM   #70
auxmike

HD video of the rear of my engine showing that area....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVK_uBKotcU

Old 11-11-2010, 01:19 PM   #71
Hershey

Very well done . If you PAUSE the video at 19 , 30 , 33 , 45 and 50 seconds , you'll notice the black Multi Layered Steel head cylinder gasket . That's where the oil leaks from beneath it . Driving the car down hills in 3rd gear seems to speed up the leaking of oil . Did you clean it ? Does look like there's a sheen as if fresh oil has gathered in that area . THANKS for your effort .
Old 11-11-2010, 10:12 PM   #72
auxmike

I hav'nt cleaned it.
I wiped around there again though, but can't say there's any real wetness. But that little cupped spot behind the head looks like a full ashtray!
I'm at 32k miles currently.
I do want to clean it real good and then monitor it as you do.
There's no way I'd approach the dealer with how it looks now nor would I want my engine torn apart for just some soot...