Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-03-2009, 10:45 PM   #19
PETERPOOP

Drives: 08 white liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles View Post
Saggio's car looks awesome, but that just has to rub like a mofo.
He probably sold the rims and suspension because of that reason.
PETERPOOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 10:48 PM   #20
Spawne32

Drives: 1998 Dodge Neon Highline
nice, i wonder how the camber adjustments on his car are affecting his tire wear and traction
Spawne32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 04:31 PM   #21
PHXDEMON

Drives: 2007 Red Liftback
You want a car for performance and you are getting an auto Not trying to be a dick but with the 5 speed this car is fun to throw around turns and pop the clutch although not very fast. Nothing under 15k with an auto is going to be fun or have good performance. You might want to look at getting a used WRX
PHXDEMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:12 PM   #22
Spawne32

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXDEMON View Post
You want a car for performance and you are getting an auto Not trying to be a dick but with the 5 speed this car is fun to throw around turns and pop the clutch although not very fast. Nothing under 15k with an auto is going to be fun or have good performance. You might want to look at getting a used WRX
you think an automatic transmission is a downfall of a car? i have a friend who runs a 13 second pontiac grandprix on an auto tranny, nobody laughs at him. If you think by buying a manual tranny car it somehow makes you cooler then the rest your wrong, get with the times, manual trannys are a thing of the past.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:16 PM   #23
PETERPOOP

Drives: 08 white liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawne32 View Post
If you think by buying a manual tranny car it somehow makes you cooler then the rest your wrong, get with the times, manual trannys are a thing of the past.

I think he's implying that it's more "fun" to drive. Nothing about guys with the 5speed being cooler. Autos are good for the quarter mile, but this is your DD. Like the reasons he stated, it would seem like more fun to pop the clutch, shift when you want, and just feel like you have control of the car.

Honestly, if my car was an automatic, i'd feel like i am in a rental car.

Your best bet is getting the blitz S/C kit. Pretuned, put it on, and don't worry about your engine blowing up. You can go the turbo route, but that's a lot of work and you gotta know what you're doing.
PETERPOOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:18 PM   #24
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris white hatch
Send a message via AIM to kngrsll
Quote:
you think an automatic transmission is a downfall of a car? i have a friend who runs a 13 second pontiac grandprix on an auto tranny, nobody laughs at him. If you think by buying a manual tranny car it somehow makes you cooler then the rest your wrong, get with the times, manual trannys are a thing of the past.
if going fast in a straight line is your thing, this is the wrong car. it can be fun if you like to turn bc of its weight, but you may be better off looking for something like an SRT4 or an old MX6 GT.
kngrsll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:18 PM   #25
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXDEMON View Post
Yeah, gonna have to disagree with you on that comment. I currently have an auto and I can throw mine just as well as a manual. Most of the time if it's a "curvy track" ahem, i'll probably never even make it out of 2nd, sometimes into 3rd. Auto is not a crutch
KCALB SIRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:20 PM   #26
Spawne32

Quote:
Originally Posted by kngrsll View Post
if going fast in a straight line is your thing, this is the wrong car. it can be fun if you like to turn bc of its weight, but you may be better off looking for something like an SRT4 or an old MX6 GT.
yeh im considering my other options atm, cobalt or this, new or used, gm or toyota lol
Old 03-04-2009, 07:39 PM   #27
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris white hatch
Send a message via AIM to kngrsll
Quote:
yeh im considering my other options atm, cobalt or this, new or used, gm or toyota lol
yeah cobalt is not a bad idea...
kngrsll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:39 PM   #28
turboyaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to turboyaris
i used to drive in philly everyday with a manual, sandwich in one hand, cellphone in the other, all while twiddling my thumbs...
haha as for the times, i used to run 14 flat at atco all day long unless i forgot to watch the tree
turboyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:50 PM   #29
whooppee777
I used to have 1700 posts

Drives: 2008 Yaris Hatch
Send a message via AIM to whooppee777
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles View Post
Saggio's car looks awesome, but that just has to rub like a mofo.
y would it rub? he had the fenders pulled.

yaris is the antonym for performance.

im pretty sure no one has yet to break into the 15's in the quarter mile, not sure though i havent looked in the thread that covers that in a LONG time, so that should put things into perspective.

the quickest i got was low 16's and i had an intake, header, no cats axle back exhaust, light weight pulleys and more. but i also had my back seat still installed which might have helped to have that taken out cuz it weights 60 or 70 pounds and i have about another 80-100 pounds in bracing that probably didnt help. and heavy 17 inch wheels.

if i had light weight 15" rims with decent rubber i think i would have made it into the 15's

instead i opted for boost and now 15 second quarter miles should be no problem

whooppee777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 12:36 AM   #30
Jerkratt

Drives: 08 Yaris Liftback S (RIP 07)
Send a message via AIM to Jerkratt
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06silveryaris View Post
same day lol, 17's from what i have seen, please correct me if I am mistaken
i've gotten 16.5 in quarter mile with an automatic (07) i have not taken my manual (08) to the track yet
Old 03-07-2009, 08:12 PM   #31
gaffo

Drives: integra
Quote:
you think an automatic transmission is a downfall of a car?

for a small car? yep. you loose 20-percent of your power right off the bat.

Quote:
i have a friend who runs a 13 second pontiac grandprix on an auto tranny, nobody laughs at him.
and he'd do it in 11 seconds with a 5sp.

Quote:
If you think by buying a manual tranny car it somehow makes you cooler then the rest your wrong, get with the times, manual trannys are a thing of the past.

maybe a "thing of the past" in America - thankfully everyone else seems to be alot smarter about cars and still drive sticks. travel outside of the U.S. and look around - you'll see more manuals than autoborings.
gaffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 08:15 PM   #32
gaffo

Drives: integra
Quote:
Originally Posted by PETERPOOP View Post
I think he's implying that it's more "fun" to drive. Nothing about guys with the 5speed being cooler. Autos are good for the quarter mile, but this is your DD. Like the reasons he stated, it would seem like more fun to pop the clutch, shift when you want, and just feel like you have control of the car.

Honestly, if my car was an automatic, i'd feel like i am in a rental car.

Your best bet is getting the blitz S/C kit. Pretuned, put it on, and don't worry about your engine blowing up. You can go the turbo route, but that's a lot of work and you gotta know what you're doing.

there is no "feel" about it. you do have more control and more power available under a manual.
gaffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 10:44 PM   #33
jkuchta

Drives: 2007 Yaris hatch (red)
^+1
jkuchta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 12:32 AM   #34
lilredrocket
Slowy getting there

Drives: 08 Liftback
I wouldn't know how automatics feel or drive. Never owned one. When I was shopping for my Yaris I told the dealer that I would not buy an automatic and if they tried to sell me one I would go somewhere else. So they gave me mine that rolled off their truck the day before. It hadn't even been to the detail shop yet still had the white stickers on it
lilredrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 06:03 PM   #35
PHXDEMON

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaffo View Post
for a small car? yep. you loose 20-percent of your power right off the bat.

and he'd do it in 11 seconds with a 5sp.

maybe a "thing of the past" in America - thankfully everyone else seems to be alot smarter about cars and still drive sticks. travel outside of the U.S. and look around - you'll see more manuals than autoborings.
Word; Americans are fat lazy fucks that don't want to shift I have driven both the 5speed and auto yaris liftbacks and you have to be on crack to think the auto is anywhere near as fun to drive.
Old 03-08-2009, 06:04 PM   #36
PHXDEMON

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilredrocket View Post
I wouldn't know how automatics feel or drive. Never owned one. When I was shopping for my Yaris I told the dealer that I would not buy an automatic and if they tried to sell me one I would go somewhere else. So they gave me mine that rolled off their truck the day before. It hadn't even been to the detail shop yet still had the white stickers on it
Automatics FTL!