Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-21-2009, 07:28 AM   #1
Sabretooth
37HSSV

Drives: '11 Mazdaspeed 3
Send a message via AIM to Sabretooth
Yaris Motor Swap Thread *Read before posting swap threads*

Well, I lost the old thread back in the hack, so finally got around to wanting to redo the thread, hope you enjoy. Hopefully it will sticky this time

First lets start with catagorizing particular motors that have been tested, proven, and thought about being swapped into our Yaris'

Proven: This is the basic section in which a motor has been swapped and documented to work.
-2zzge (Celica GT-S Motor,1.8L 180ish HP) Proven Sedan, and older gen Echo Hatch only.
-4age Blacktop/Silvertop (1.6L 160hp) Proven swapped into an older gen Echo Hatch only
-4agze 16 valve (1.6L Superchared) Proven swapped into a newer Yaris, overseas, but documented. Motor was then changed over to a turbocharged setup for more HP.
-DRIFT YARIS: I dont have information off hand, other than it is a RWD placement using an older Tacoma motor for the powerplant, All custom drivetrain, etc.

Tested: Experimeted, but not finished or proven
-4G63 (Lancer Evolution Motor, 2.0L Turbocharged) Swap was to be in progress but not documented as finished overseas.

Thought of and Discussed: Self explanitory, I did seperate this into two catagories.
Practicle, but likely not to fit without heavy modification.
-3gste (MR2 Turbocharged Motor) 2.0L Turbo
-3gse (MR2 Beams Motor) 2.0L N/A
-2azfe (Scion TC/Scion Xb2.0 Motor) 2.4L N/A

WHY?!?!
-K20 (Civic SI/RSX Motor) 2.0L N/A
-B18 (Civic Motor) 1.8L N/A
-B16 (Civic Motor) 1.6L N/A
-13B (RX7 Motor) 1.3L N/A or Turbocharged
-Renesis (RX8 Motor) 1.3L N/A

Ok, lets get down to business:

1. Motor Swap intro
With all motor swaps, there are two things your going to need: Time and Money, without both; your project is dead in the water before it stands. Motor swaps are not an overnight deal, you can just wrench it up in a weekend for a car like ours. There is a lot of time taken into changing wiring harnesses, coverting throttle types, custom piping for exhaust and intake systems, then there is modification to any structure of the car (firewall, etc), not to mention any custom parts you might need to order, or fabricate. If you dont have a second car, I wouldnt expect you to try and do this without having another form of getting around for 3-4 weeks, depending on who is doing the job and how much time is being invested daily.

Money is a precious thing when it comes to a swap, if you dont do it right...you could be left with a car that looks new, but runs like a clunker. All used motors need to be broken down, inspected, tested, and cleared by the mechanic or installer to see if there are any major issues that need to be fixed or addressed before the motor you just spent up to $4000 is placed into your car. Not just are the engines costly, a 4age can run you $800 bucks for a good mileage one. A 2zzge can run you almost $4000 for transmission and all, best bet is to check before you buy. Sometimes you can find just as much horsepower in a smaller, or cheaper engine.

Money is also another factor when it comes to installing the motor, when you start working, nothing is going to just bolt right up and wire in. You are NOT working on a Honda, so be prepared to start cutting, splicing, etc. That you will be more than likely fabricating new parts or modifying existing ones to make them work. This can take both time and money, depending what you are having done. Custom driveshafts could take a week, seeing where they are being sourced or made from. Nothing is going to be easy, even a experienced mechanic will let you know this one when it comes to doing a new Toyota swap.

You can only expect one thing, lots of time and money leaving you, totaling into the weeks and possibly months, and up into the $5-6k range, depending on cost of parts and labor. This number could reach into the $10k+ range, also pending you are going to further modify the engine before or after install.

2.Basic already known knowledge about swaps for the Yaris

From a personal aspect, I will include one thing, IF you are going to modify the engine of in which you are placing into the car, please do so BEFORE putting it in the Yaris, say if you change an intake manifold after you put it in the car, it might not work anymore...this problem could have been addressed and fixed prior to install.

So far we know a bit about doing swaps for the Yaris, there are basically a couple people who have gone in depth to check into, or swap out a motor themselves. So far only 1 motor swap has been done in the US, rest are from Canada, Puerto Rico, and Thailand, others may apply...depending on sources.

So far the only information we have on parts that bolt up with Yaris parts from other motors:
-Throttle bodies from 1zzge motors will work on a Yaris, but throws a CEL unless modified.
-Transmission parts from the Xa/Xb/Echo will work on a Yaris, consult previous threads for more information on specific parts.
-RUMOR: That a 4age series motor has the same transmission housing as the Yaris, I have yet to find supporting information to confirm this, but it has been spread around enough to be considered possible.

Last edited by Sabretooth; 03-21-2009 at 09:04 AM.
Sabretooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 05:10 PM   #2
kenkyd
kanye

Drives: 11 Corolla S
Send a message via AIM to kenkyd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth View Post

WHY?!?!
-K20 (Civic SI/RSX Motor) 2.0L N/A
-B18 (Civic Motor) 1.8L N/A
-B16 (Civic Motor) 1.6L N/A
-Renesis (RX8 Motor) 1.3L N/A
i know why they are in a "why?!?!" section, but how come those specific ones are mentioned? just because of smaller size? i wish i could put in a wankel.
kenkyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 05:19 PM   #3
Malaya1221
super duper M*******TOR

Drives: 2007 jahPANIS egg(Sarao Phil)
how about a busa?
1340 cc (82 cu in), 4-stroke, four-cylinder, liquid-cooled, DOHC, 16-valve
Malaya1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 05:46 PM   #4
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
The 3S-GTE engine is also found in celicas(GT4 = AWD) Doing a full custom AWD/3sgte swap from a celica GT4 to a yaris would pretty much be my dream swap.

The only problem is, that is one huge engine to squeeze into the yaris.

supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 06:33 PM   #5
at3GG

Drives: 07 metmet LB
i think the sr20 should be a distant consideration as well...

Konig Heliums 15x6.5 Black
Tanabe Df210's
at3GG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 08:24 PM   #6
xbalance

Drives: stock
Is there any engine is a direct fit to the engine bay mean dont need to mod the engine mounting location?
xbalance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 09:04 PM   #7
at3GG

Drives: 07 metmet LB
highly doubt it

Konig Heliums 15x6.5 Black
Tanabe Df210's
at3GG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 10:05 AM   #8
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
in theory the 1.8L 2ZR-FE from the European-spec Yaris TS (and also the same engine as used on the new Corolla and Scion xD), as I highly doubt Toyota would have two totally different bodies for each engine. But, with "just" 130hp, it's not exactly worth the swap... unless it can be built up to much much higher levels, but I don't think that has been proven yet....

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 11:53 AM   #9
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
1. take 1.5L out
2. put built/stroked 1.6L in
3. turn up the boost... a lot.
4. have a nice day.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 12:09 PM   #10
Morgan

Drives: 07 MM LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by supmet View Post
The 3S-GTE engine is also found in celicas(GT4 = AWD) Doing a full custom AWD/3sgte swap from a celica GT4 to a yaris would pretty much be my dream swap.

The only problem is, that is one huge engine to squeeze into the yaris.
the 3s weighs like 360+lbs... thats an extra 200lbs from the 1nz

what about a 4efte instead??
Old 04-24-2009, 07:03 PM   #11
xen555

Drives: 3 DOORS LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth View Post
WHY?!?!

why not??

that the swap i will do if a i have the money and if my wife dissapear!!!

Stock Motor with 2 rotors $ 800 - 1200
Displacement 1308cc
Power Output 255bhp @7k
Torque 220lb-ft @5k
Redline 8000 rpm
0-60 mph 5.1 s
Qtr. Mile 14.0s @100 mph
Est. Top Speed 159 mph

and with a turbo setup and ported rotors u can fly low...

to bad the yaris is my daily drive, but some day... some day i will do this swap... plus i love the rotor engine sound and the motor have the size of a 5 gals. bottle
xen555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 02:13 AM   #12
dallas

Drives: Yaris Hatch /Landrover D2
Only if you run a sucessful online Tuner business and spend all your hard earned cash on your Yaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
1. take 1.5L out
2. put built/stroked 1.6L in
3. turn up the boost... a lot.
4. have a nice day.
dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 11:39 PM   #13
justjesus

Drives: 2008 Liftback
Odd. I toyed with the idea of a Honda B16 in a yaris.
justjesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 04:30 AM   #14
WRW76
WRW76

Drives: Yaris
ive been wondering about the 4efte engines as i have owned 2 starlet turbos in the past both running over 200bhp.
WRW76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 04:56 AM   #15
constantin
VVT-i Addict

Drives: Yaris TS
Send a message via Yahoo to constantin
I looked around the engine bay of my sister's 1.3 Yaris and I can say that the 2ZRFE ( 1.8 Dual VVT-i) will surely fit but as it has been said before: WHY? The power gain is minimal and this type of engine is very hard to modify.

In my opinion the best choice would be ( money not being an issue) the Celica 1.8 192BHP. The size is a bit smaller than my 2ZRFE and a lot of mods are available.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:01 AM   #16
Sabretooth
37HSSV

Drives: '11 Mazdaspeed 3
Send a message via AIM to Sabretooth
Can Anyone confirm the engine dimentions for the 2zz vs. the 2ZR?
Sabretooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 10:45 AM   #17
Mouse

Drives: 2007 MX5
What about the 1.8 BP out of the old Mercury Capri's.....It's the same motor that was in the miata... just in FWD form.....Not to mention all of the NA goodies that are out there for the miata...including ITRBs.
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:41 PM   #18
xen555

Drives: 3 DOORS LB
rotary engine this modifed engine 13b stage 2 only cost $2500 and see the number at 16psi lbs. of boost and the rotor engine can hold 24 lbs of boost... here in puerto rico theres a lot a modified cars with this type of engines making 9 sec. at the 1/4 miles and with a little more money they are making 7 to 8 sec. imagine that power in a car that weight almost 600 lbs. less than the rx7
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dyno1-2[1].jpg (104.7 KB, 3648 views)
xen555 is offline   Reply With Quote