Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 04-24-2009, 02:18 PM   #19
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
We should just have all the professional auto X members post thier entire suspention setup and thier results. And it gives a good platform for people new to base thier setup on.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 02:21 PM   #20
Loren
What?

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Do the alignment on the cheap (I've never paid to have my Yaris aligned). Slot the lower strut holes, no need for camber bolts.

Swaybar would be good.

Okay, let's clarify the formula and make it repeatable:
  • Slot front struts, set front camber to -1.8 degrees static (will be well over -2.5 on the outside when the suspension is compressed while turning), 0' toe. Total cost = $0.00
  • New set of 195/50-15 Toyo R888 on stock wheels. $123 each plus mount & balance. Total cost = $550
  • 23mm Rear Stabilizer Bar from MicroImage. Total cost = $164.95
1.0 G's easily for less than $800.
(do be careful with the aggressive transitions, though)

----------------------- Loren@InvisibleSun.org -----------------------
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 02:29 PM   #21
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
I remember when i used to work in a alignment shop cars would come in and they would specifically request not to touch thier camber even though it was negative only adjust the toe.

How much of a difference do you think the tire wear will be. Like 5 percent 10 percent 20 percent more wear?

Sure you should not be too concerned if you are going to be aggresive especially if you are going to auto x and go through tires very quickly.

But just from a curiouse standpoint as well for a daily driver im asking cause you are one of the few experience members when it comes to suspention. As there are other members who are strong on stereo etc..
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 02:39 PM   #22
Loren
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisSedan View Post
I remember when i used to work in a alignment shop cars would come in and they would specifically request not to touch thier camber even though it was negative only adjust the toe.

How much of a difference do you think the tire wear will be. Like 5 percent 10 percent 20 percent more wear?

Sure you should not be too concerned if you are going to be aggresive especially if you are going to auto x and go through tires very quickly.

But just from a curiouse standpoint as well for a daily driver im asking cause you are one of the few experience members when it comes to suspention. As there are other members who are strong on stereo etc..
This question has been answered before (many times). With modern tires, camber only affects tire wear noticeably if you do a great majority of your driving in a straight line without some aggressive cornering the balance it out.

Agressive TOE settings are what chew up tires. Toe PLUS camber is a bad combination, and will make it look like the camber is the problem, but it isn't. This is the typical situation when a car is lowered and not aligned. Most suspensions are designed such that camber goes negative when the car is lowered... side effect is that toe also goes WAY out of spec (goes out if the tie rods are on the back side of the axle, in if they're in the front). If you correct the toe to zero, as long as you're not doing cross-country interstate road trips and never exploring curves, that will take care of your wear issues.

If you're not the kind of driver who's going to push the car a little bit in the turns pretty regularly, you shouldn't even be reading this thread!

Old 04-24-2009, 03:09 PM   #23
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Was there a lot of aftermarket support when the Civic had been out only 3 years?

I know the Yaris has been sold overseas for a number of years, but considering that the USDM is new, I think there is pretty good range of product support so far. Give it ten years...
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 03:26 PM   #24
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisSedan View Post
We should just have all the professional auto X members post thier entire suspention setup and thier results. And it gives a good platform for people new to base thier setup on.
results are relative in autocross
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 03:27 PM   #25
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
Was there a lot of aftermarket support when the Civic had been out only 3 years?

I know the Yaris has been sold overseas for a number of years, but considering that the USDM is new, I think there is pretty good range of product support so far. Give it ten years...
not to mention, the yaris has MORE AFTERMARKET than my car, and it's been out since 2000? (in japan)
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Old 04-24-2009, 03:47 PM   #26
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Drives: Yaris T-Sport 2008
Talking about Yaris potential... and a little off topic as well but,
People haven't put much attention to the
2ZR-FE swap due to the lack of appeal of it's not very impressive performance...

However, this power plant transforms the Yaris completely... and it should be pretty much a drop in swap if you can get a salvaged Scion xD engine and ECU. This should be easy in a couple of years.
The 1.8L will put down up to 125WHP and a very linear 120Tq with the current bolt on mods available (Intake/ exhaust/ UPulley).

I can tell you that people who jumps in for a ride on a twisty road on my car, can't believe what the little bean can do. And I'm not by any means a very skilled driver... just a little above the average I would say.

And I agree with Loren... No need to spend a lot of money on suspension...

$800 Tein Basics Coilovers
$150 TRD sway bar
OE 17" heavy ass Toyota wheels
$400 Azenis RT-615 (215/40/17)
$25 camber bolts

The extra TQ of this engine has no problem moving the heavy ass wheels and tires... But some light weight 16's are on my future plans.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dropped and clean 002.jpg (36.0 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg yaris rojo y negro 042.jpg (30.2 KB, 105 views)
CASTREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 08:27 PM   #27
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post

what, 1979?

LMFAO
you nailed it sir.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:00 PM   #28
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
A magazine did a test with a Yaris sedan. They just used Tein SS coilovers and racing slicks. I think they pulled either 1.05 or 1.08 g's. No other mods, just the coilovers, rims, and tires.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 09:14 PM   #29
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
A magazine did a test with a Yaris sedan. They just used Tein SS coilovers and racing slicks. I think they pulled either 1.05 or 1.08 g's. No other mods, just the coilovers, rims, and tires.
back in 2007..

c'mon what's taking you guys so long? busy buying short shifters and underdrive pullies?
you nailed it sir.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:18 PM   #30
Kaotic Lazagna

Being a college student. LOL. No money for anything, even REAL food.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:21 PM   #31
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
Being a college student. LOL. No money for anything, even REAL food.
refer to my first post then?
you nailed it sir.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:50 PM   #32
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
refer to my first post then?
I wish I knew how to fab up my own stuff...
Old 04-24-2009, 11:23 PM   #33
TOUGEghost
Mr. Clean

Drives: 2009 Yaris S 3-Door
So maybe I'm the only one who thinks this way, but I'm perfectly happy just bolting stuff on my Yaris, having fun with it, and not worrying about anything. I don't need numbers and data to convince me that my car is fun. I don't even care if some guy with a Scion and a turbo kit thinks he's better than me because of it. What is this "next level" anyway? It must be the place where my car can smoke Evos and still get 50mpg.
TOUGEghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 11:48 PM   #34
Loren
What?

I sort of agree, I don't get too hung up on the numbers as long as the car does what I want it to do. Part of what I want it to do is handle well enough to be competitive (or at least damned frustrating to people with "faster" cars) in autocross and other events. The only reason I know the lateral G's my car can pull is that it was part of a competition that I did. Were it not for that, all I'd know is that "it handles really well".

Old 04-24-2009, 11:54 PM   #35
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
I this thread.

This community needs a few things:
1. Some exposure
2. More willing buyers
3. A viable piggyback tuning option
4. A formula and/or bolt on kit for reliable boost
5. Cheaper, more available upgrades geared toward 4: pistons, cams, head gasket, intake manifolds etc etc

For now Garm is going to be the blueprint. I'm trying to show what NOT to do () and the supercharged people can wave while the turbo people pass them. Sorry guys, but I truly think you're all crazy. Still love ya though.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 11:56 PM   #36
Tamago

so explain how garm is the blueprint, when none of you (arguably) will follow in his footsteps? and what about all the xa and xb "blueprints" floating around? i'm not tooting my own horn, just asking a viable question, since garm is basically just reverting to an xb/xa/echo powerplant...

??
you nailed it sir.