Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 09-01-2009, 06:48 PM   #1
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
Positives and negatives to hub spacers?

I've been looking a little bit into hub spacers but it's all foreign to me, I'm not getting any of the details aside from they space the wheel out from the hub. What are some of the ups and downs to using them? Do you need an alignment after installing them? Etc. I'm running stock tires and rim size
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 06:52 PM   #2
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
They'll widen the rear track to provide some more stability and a much better look. Just bolt them on and go. No alignment required. No downside that I can see. Tamago may offer some more info seeing as how he designed the ones for Penguin Garage.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 07:02 PM   #3
detroiter

How about the thickness, I think I saw 10 or 13mm on microimageonline. Might just have to give them a go but I want to learn more about them since I'm totally clueless.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:34 PM   #4
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroiter View Post
How about the thickness, I think I saw 10 or 13mm on microimageonline. Might just have to give them a go but I want to learn more about them since I'm totally clueless.
Post in the Penguin Garage spacer thread. Give them your wheel/tire size note if you're lowered etc. and they'll recommend which size is appropriate. I think there are some general guidelines in one of the threads that Tamago started when he announced they were available.

I have wider wheels so I went with the 10mm.

I'm sure Tamago would answer any question you have.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 12:30 PM   #5
aeipee13
DKDC

Drives: Yarlet
the only negative I see is the possibility of rubbing. that depends on your wheel and tire fitment though. Just post in the PG thread as Altitude said and they will answer your questions.

I have a stock wheels and tires with 13mm spacers. The only side affect I have experienced is a boner from my car looking and feeling better when driving.
aeipee13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 01:23 PM   #6
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Drives: Yaris T-Sport 2008
There are no REAL down sides... just a little change in the overall handling characteristics of your car.
You'll see... by adding 13mm spacers ( that should be your choice for stock wheels) you are adding over an inch of track to the rear of your car.
That added track will improve your stability and rear traction. It will make you feel more comfortable at high speed. This will probably make the car more oversteery than already is, but that's not a bad thing for a daily driver as is safer for the overall driver. On a tight auto x course on the other side you usually want to decrease the rear traction to reduce that factory oversteer... but that is another story...

Get the 13mm for the stock wheels... a worthy mod IMO.
CASTREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 02:51 PM   #7
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
just saw this thread.

please PM me if you have any further questions.
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 03:55 PM   #8
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb
^ I think the OP is looking for knowledge, maybe you can share yours with everyone so that others are informed.
KCALB SIRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 04:00 PM   #9
Tamago

there are no downsides to hub spacers. they mount inboard of the wheel bearings, so they do not encourage premature hub failure.

rubbing is not a downside, it MAY be a side effect from the spacers. however, all PG spacer kits ship with optional camber shims that usually do away with any rubbing issues.
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Old 09-04-2009, 05:45 PM   #10
1NZYaris1

Drives: Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
there are no downsides to hub spacers. they mount inboard of the wheel bearings, so they do not encourage premature hub failure.

rubbing is not a downside, it MAY be a side effect from the spacers. however, all PG spacer kits ship with optional camber shims that usually do away with any rubbing issues.
They are a Worthy investment , and way better than putting spacer's on the front of the drum .
1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 11:50 AM   #11
detroiter

Aside from just looking cool, do they actually do much handling/performance wise or are they just more about looks?
Old 09-05-2009, 12:08 PM   #12
2009BBPliftback

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB in Blazing blue
Send a message via AIM to 2009BBPliftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by CASTREX View Post
There are no REAL down sides... just a little change in the overall handling characteristics of your car.
You'll see... by adding 13mm spacers ( that should be your choice for stock wheels) you are adding over an inch of track to the rear of your car.
That added track will improve your stability and rear traction. It will make you feel more comfortable at high speed. This will probably make the car more oversteery than already is, but that's not a bad thing for a daily driver as is safer for the overall driver. On a tight auto x course on the other side you usually want to decrease the rear traction to reduce that factory oversteer... but that is another story...

Get the 13mm for the stock wheels... a worthy mod IMO.

I'm sorry I always thought the general rule was Understeer was much easier to control than Oversteer. Understeer is Plowing forward and Oversteer is when the rear end steps out. If I had to guess the wider track would reduce oversteer but i could be wrong.
2009BBPliftback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 12:21 PM   #13
Tamago

understeer scares drivers
oversteer scares passengers

you nailed it sir.
Old 09-05-2009, 12:26 PM   #14
lilredrocket
Slowy getting there

Drives: 08 Liftback
^ That's ture unless the drive doesn't know how to correct it
Old 09-05-2009, 12:28 PM   #15
Tamago

driver to me means DRIVER, not simply the person behind the wheel lol
you nailed it sir.
Old 09-05-2009, 12:32 PM   #16
lilredrocket
Slowy getting there

Drives: 08 Liftback
Oh ok. Then you previous statment is very true
Old 09-09-2009, 03:10 AM   #17
botchilah

Drives: white and red shiny things
Most, if not all cars are designed to have a degree of understeer, if not terminal understeer on the limit.

It is more intuitive to control / correct a car that understeers (slowly get off the gas and/or apply the brakes gras compared to a car adually) that oversteers (countersteer, however cool it looks and sounds is not something for the novice driver).

I've got the 10mm PG hub spacers myself. I like it. Got rid of most of the rubbing in my inner rear tire well. Looks very nice too, and is cheaper than those JDM-branded hub spacers. When I installed it it does seem to have made the rear a little more squirelly but I'm not sure if its because I don't have enough toe / camber OR I lack rebound control from the shocks.

The quality of the PG hub spacer, as well as the aircraft grade fasteners included seem much better than even the Toyota OE fasteners. Plus the guys at PG took the time to answer my questions knowing that I was form abroad and had low chances of ordering from them anyway and even recommended which size to get. Nice guys, very helpful and a great little but highly useful product.
08' Yaris HB 5dr: RAYS 57 Motorsports 17X7 / K&N SRI / TANABE axleback exhaust / ULTRA RACING complete braces / MEGAN RACING complete braces / NEX coilovers / NEX 330mm 4-pot front BBK / PENGUIN GARAGE hub spacers / HOTBITS headers / BUDDY CLUB oil cap and rad cap / APP SS brake lines / HKS synthetic lubes / RECARO SR5 seats / TRD shiftknob / cheap FEDERAL (free) tires lol. NEXT: HKS F-CON iS
botchilah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 03:59 AM   #18
AdeJong 03
"Stealth Runner"

Drives: 2009 Yaris-S Sedan
im running 10mm PG spacers as well and have no regrets about em.

they are always a good buy for our cars

SHADOW OFFSET FTL!!!
AdeJong 03 is offline   Reply With Quote