Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-02-2009, 02:46 PM   #1
JBougie
Banned

Drives: 2010 Yaris LB (Prev: 07 Sedan)
Dear GM, this is what happens when you don't let the gov't take over:

http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/...112_075062.htm

Ford Reports Nearly $1 Billion Profit
The latest and strongest sign of the automaker's comeback comes as it pays down debt and adds to U.S. market share
JBougie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 04:49 PM   #2
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Or it could be what happens when your company is financially sound to start with as opposed to GM who was so unstable that they required a bailout in the first place. GM failed long before the government got involved.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 04:57 PM   #3
Banned

Drives: '10 Yaris5drHB+99 4runner LTD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altitude View Post
Or it could be what happens when your company is financially sound to start with as opposed to GM who was so unstable that they required a bailout in the first place. GM failed long before the government got involved.
+1

GM did it wrong, and builds junk, always builds junk and can never change
that is why they went in the crapper

Ford is the typically the ONLY US car manufacturer whose products can
compare to Japan, and consumers know that. Ford does things right, mostly.

I'd take a Ford over anything (besides Toyota) if I had to....
127.0.0.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 05:06 PM   #4
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
the only thing i'd buy from GM would have to be one of their heavy duty 1500 or 2500 trucks...gas, which is a shame, and then i'd have every recall and TSB checked and changed out.

i'll never buy a GM car unless they come out with the new 2012 trans am....unless nostrodamus did really predict the end of the world correctly....and i'll deal with the mess of having to constantly be replacing stuff on it cuz the new TA is badass...and it can spend time in the shop if it needs to.
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 06:25 PM   #5
Bob Dog
DARK PHASE OF THE MOON

Drives: 07 liftback
This has nothing to do with bailouts, and everything to do with the preposterous disregard of the American comsumer by American corporations. Ford is profitting, not so much because they build a really good product, but because they build the least awful product one can buy if one feels compelled to drive an American vehicle.
Bob Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 06:40 PM   #6
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dog View Post
This has nothing to do with bailouts, and everything to do with the preposterous disregard of the American consumer by American corporations.
Its not as preposterous when you look at how dumb the average american consumer is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dog View Post
Ford is profitting, not so much because they build a really good product, but because they build the least awful product one can buy if one feels compelled to drive an American vehicle.
+1 and if there wasn't all this crap on the news about the failing economy and how buying a ford built in mexico helps america more than buying a toyota made in kentucky, ford would be on the way out too. American car companies are still spending too much money on advertising and talking shit about toyota/honda and not enough on building cars that don't suck.

Btw guys, buy a GM, because honda makes lawnmowers.(that is seriously the only thing I get out of GM commericals.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 06:46 PM   #7
Bob Dog
DARK PHASE OF THE MOON

Maybe GM could rebadge some Briggs and Strattons or Homelites like they have done with Suzukis, Daewoos and Toyotas..,
Old 11-02-2009, 06:58 PM   #8
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
imo, they're all trying their damnedist to turn themselves around....for was first because they were failing BEFORE the recession hit and made a long-term action plan....

bottom line: the big 3 were living fat off the profit of trucks and when the gas spiked they started losing market share because they had no good, efficient small cars.

i think they all see the light now.

toyota and honda better watch out though, im not sure amercian/canadian consumers still want bland-o-matic vechicles like they're still pumping out...i know i don't.
Old 11-02-2009, 07:01 PM   #9
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
I'd also like to point out that Ford has had the ultimate bailout for decades. Its called the "damn near every police car and city vehicle in the country is a ford," and they make a shit load of money off that.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 07:52 PM   #10
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Quote:
Originally Posted by supmet View Post
I'd also like to point out that Ford has had the ultimate bailout for decades. Its called the "damn near every police car and city vehicle in the country is a ford," and they make a shit load of money off that.
I'd call that a wise business strategy.

Bob Dog is right though, American car companies generally make crap. And to make matters worse are all those "free-market capitalists" that insist on buying American just because it's American. That's not capitalism, that's nepotism at worst and nationalism at best. Capitalism would dictate that consumer's buy the best product regardless of who makes it.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 08:46 PM   #11
Bob Dog
DARK PHASE OF THE MOON

I did one of my 400 level Business school papers on this subject. American car companies go for the immediate bottom line. Japanese companies favor an outlook of long term corporate sucess. Perhaps this may have something to do with cultural sentiments, but I suspect the has more to do with the fact that American auto execs make aburd salaries tied only to momentary profits, were as Japanese corporate culture has been traditonally been more one of investiture of ones self in the corporation. There fore Japanese cars are built for the long term, American cars have been built only considering right now profitability. The American companies have been getting there collective asses kicked for having this outlook, so they have been rethinking this, or at least advertising that they have.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:51 PM   #12
frownonfun

Drives: 09 Yaris HB, 08 SR5 Tundra
Quote:
Its not as preposterous when you look at how dumb the average american consumer is.

+1 and if there wasn't all this crap on the news about the failing economy and how buying a ford built in mexico helps america more than buying a toyota made in kentucky, ford would be on the way out too. American car companies are still spending too much money on advertising and talking shit about toyota/honda and not enough on building cars that don't suck.

Btw guys, buy a GM, because honda makes lawnmowers.(that is seriously the only thing I get out of GM commericals.
yeah those GM propaganda commercials with howie long are really really really annoying. i have to turn the channel.

I crush you like tiny clown car, because you are clown, yes?
frownonfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 08:54 PM   #13
Bob Dog
DARK PHASE OF THE MOON

I want to sneak up behind that jerk and hit him with something
Old 11-02-2009, 09:19 PM   #14
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Drives: C300 / Del Sol
Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
hahahaha i just recently seen a commercial from GM dizzin Toyota about MPG
JumpmanYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 09:26 PM   #15
RUFFSTUFF
Banned

Drives: 2009 TOYOTA YARIS SEDAN
Ford isn't much different than anyone else... they just happened to have made a few moves that turned out favorable when the recession hit. They are not immune to issues...
RUFFSTUFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 09:26 PM   #16
RUFFSTUFF
Banned

Drives: 2009 TOYOTA YARIS SEDAN
Quote:

Werd. One of Fords biggest payoffs is in the the police fleet and rental car distribution...
RUFFSTUFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 09:59 PM   #17
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
Lots of very interesting comments here. I agree with most of it, including the "Ford is the least worst", and the stupidity of the average car buyer. As for the former, I have owned my share of pigups, and Ford was the toughest of the lot by far. I had less to do with cars, except for the Mustangs, and found them far more acceptable than anything GM or Chrysler turned out; they were light, strong, and durable; what else could one want?

On the latter, I cannot believe the number of cupholders found in these plastic junkpiles, yet they are only there because they help sell the mechanical rubbish underneath. Watching the steering geometry of a US-built van during parking is enough to make me retch. Finding a US-built car that has any kind of sensitive control when driven quickly is impossible...
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 10:39 PM   #18
frownonfun

Drives: 09 Yaris HB, 08 SR5 Tundra
it's weird some of you guys see many ford police vehicles. i see very few around here. mostly dodges and chevys and oddly enough a few tundras. not too many fords though. hmm. oh well.

I crush you like tiny clown car, because you are clown, yes?
frownonfun is offline   Reply With Quote