Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-21-2009, 09:34 PM   #1
mryaris

Drives: 2010 Carmine Red hatchback
DRL on 2010 hatchback??

So.....do daytime running lights exist on 2010 models? My '09 hatchback had them, but my identically equipped '10 hatchback doesn't. What gives?

FWIW, both the '09 and my new '10 have/had the power package, cruise control & cold weather package. I can't find the window sticker from the '09 to see if DRL was a separate option, but I thought it was part of the power package.

Anyone know what the deal is?
Old 11-21-2009, 10:50 PM   #2
TwoBearWisconsin

Drives: 2010 Yaris LB/5, 1996 Miata
Don't have it on mine, and I do have the power package.
TwoBearWisconsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 11:05 PM   #3
mr9865
$10.25/hr frying chicken

Drives: 2012 Yaris L
The probally were a standard feature before and decided to take it out on the 10' models.
Old 11-22-2009, 12:23 AM   #4
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
That's strange because in Canada, DRLs are manditory for all new cars.

That would mean that they woud have to have two seperate models bound for North America,which would could complicate things for Toyota.

Personaly, I like DRL on any car.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 06:38 AM   #5
specialeducator

Drives: 2008 Yaris sedan
No DRL on my '08 sedan nor my wife's '10 3 door.
specialeducator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 08:07 AM   #6
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Toyota removed the drl's from the 2010's. Lucky you.
Old 11-22-2009, 10:17 AM   #7
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRide View Post
That's strange because in Canada, DRLs are manditory for all new cars.

That would mean that they woud have to have two seperate models bound for North America,which would could complicate things for Toyota.

Personaly, I like DRL on any car.
Your speedometers are also set in KMs and not MPH, and there are other governmental restrictions that are different between our two nations that require differences in the cars...
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 10:20 PM   #8
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
But they aren't THAT different. The DRL module can be added easily. There PROBABLY (i don't think any Americans confirmed this) is a dummy module in place of the DRL.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 11:45 PM   #9
mryaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
But they aren't THAT different. The DRL module can be added easily. There PROBABLY (i don't think any Americans confirmed this) is a dummy module in place of the DRL.
I took the panels off from around the steering column and looked for an empty plug (you never know). There was something where the DRL module should be, according to the pics in the DRL disable thread, but having never really seen what the plug should look like I can't say what it is.
Old 11-25-2009, 11:56 AM   #10
toad

Drives: street-legal go-kart
i don't understand....it's like taking a step backwards in safety! my 08 has it, but the wife's 07 doesn't. i just figured it wasn't required until 08 model year. it can't cost that much to include it and if i were toyota trying to save a few bucks i wouldn't get rid of something that is there to help save your(and others) lives. i don't know what kind of figures are out there as far as them actually helping, but the logic makes sense - be better seen so others(who nowadays seem to be more and more distracted while driving) pay attention. i use the same technique when riding my bike on the road(xenon/flashing lights and dayglo/reflective clothing).
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 12:35 PM   #11
Sandwash

Drives: 2009 Yaris w/man.trans.
Looking at the sticker on my 2009 3-dr liftback, DRL was included as part of 'All-Weather Guard Package' - package retailed for $110.00.
Sandwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 05:07 PM   #12
mryaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandwash View Post
Looking at the sticker on my 2009 3-dr liftback, DRL was included as part of 'All-Weather Guard Package' - package retailed for $110.00.

Yep....the all weather package on my 2010 was only $70 and didn't include DRL's or a heavy duty battery, like the '09 did. I guess it was a cost saving thing, but if the consumer is paying for it anyway, why not keep including it?

I know the base price went up in 2010, so shaving $40 off this package may make it seem not as expensive, but IMO, $40 on a $14K car is negligible and I would rather have DRL's on my car!

I'll have to pop the covers off again and really inspect things closer to see if it's a dummy plug and a DRL module will plug right in.
Old 11-25-2009, 06:18 PM   #13
IllusionX

BTW, US people... wasn't the DRL included with the COLD Weather package??

My module was located on the LEFT side of the radio (very hard to reach). I don't know how it went about the module being in the steering wheel column as suggested in the previous "Disable DRL" thread.

The module is neatly screwed in place by a bracket.. If you take the radio out, and look inside on the left.. you should see it.

For those who do not have DRL, perhaps there is something plugged there or the plug is left, attached to the main harness.
Old 11-25-2009, 07:11 PM   #14
mryaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
BTW, US people... wasn't the DRL included with the COLD Weather package??

My module was located on the LEFT side of the radio (very hard to reach). I don't know how it went about the module being in the steering wheel column as suggested in the previous "Disable DRL" thread.

The module is neatly screwed in place by a bracket.. If you take the radio out, and look inside on the left.. you should see it.

For those who do not have DRL, perhaps there is something plugged there or the plug is left, attached to the main harness.

All weather packag/cold weather package....all the same thing. The 2010 models do not include DRL in this package anymore. My '09 did and the cold weather package was $110......my '10 also has the cold weather package but it is only $70 and DRL's are not included. It seems Toyota is no longer including this feature for US bound Yaris'.

As for the module being in the steering column.......it's not, but removing the plastic trim from around the steering column gives you plenty of access to the module, which is, as you said, to the left of the radio.
Old 11-26-2009, 03:00 PM   #15
IllusionX

Quote:
As for the module being in the steering column.......it's not, but removing the plastic trim from around the steering column gives you plenty of access to the module, which is, as you said, to the left of the radio.
Maybe.. But when i did it, there wasn't enough space to reach up and unplug it. The module was PROPERLY tighten in place and i had to remove the radio to access it.

anyhow.. can you confirm if those who don't have DRL stock have a dummy plug/module?