Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-02-2006, 11:21 AM   #37
yariman
Speed Wrenchin'

Drives: 2006 Yaris 3 door, Bayou Blue
Once again it is controversial whether it even helps get better milage, but it is known to destroy certain rubbers. So with the already decent mileage that the Yaris gets, why look for trouble?
Old 03-02-2006, 12:30 PM   #38
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
This dude supposedly doubled his gas mileage in his neon. 40 mpg is good, but if you could get 60, or even 80, wouldn't it be worth a try?

Plus, at the tiny levels used to get the suppsed outcomes, acetone will do nothing to any engine internals.

Add to that that acetone costs very little, and I think it is at least worth a try.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 07:21 PM   #39
jcove

Drives: 2011 Rogue
Quote:
Originally Posted by why?
This dude supposedly doubled his gas mileage in his neon. 40 mpg is good, but if you could get 60, or even 80, wouldn't it be worth a try?

Plus, at the tiny levels used to get the suppsed outcomes, acetone will do nothing to any engine internals.

Add to that that acetone costs very little, and I think it is at least worth a try.

http://www.pureenergysystems.com/new...00069_Acetone/
Here's another link....
Sounds like it would be worth a try.
jcove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 11:48 PM   #40
swng

Drives: 06 3-dr auto RS
If any members have tried acetone, please post the results. By making this request, I am not recommending or encouraging anyone to go ahead with trying. I just want to know if anyone has tried it and what's the result. I personally would wait until some gasoline additives manufacturers market products that contain acetone so that if anything goes wrong after I have used their products, I can hold them responsible.
swng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 12:52 AM   #41
yariman
Speed Wrenchin'

Drives: 2006 Yaris 3 door, Bayou Blue
A while ago during a deisel electronics course we got into fuels and additives etc. That's were I heard that some people thought there were milage gains and some not. Acetone does destroy some plastics and rubbers. Possibly this could take some time being so diluted in gas, if it even ends up happening at all. Be very careful of a warranty issue. If you have an engine warranty issue what do you think the dealers going to say if they happen to find acetone in your fuel? Yes you would challenge them about the fact that the acetone actually caused your problem but what a pain in the ass. Another fact mentioned in my class was that if acetone really improved milage so much how come one of the gas companies isn't adding some to their fuel and stating that their fuel actaully increases milage and cornering all gas sales? Just my opinion from what I have heard.
Old 03-03-2006, 10:31 AM   #42
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Definately a good point.
Old 03-03-2006, 11:57 AM   #43
AutoTech1

Drives: None yet
Quote:
I disagree with that statement. I believe using a higher octane might get better gas mileage and a little better performance.

I believe this because all manufacturers use 93 octane in the USA for all the testing.
If you believe that why don't you just jump into a pile of BS???
AutoTech1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 11:59 AM   #44
AutoTech1

Quote:
If it works to increase gas mileage then why not use it?
Because it doesn't. It's one of those circulated myths... It does nothing for you, except waste your money, because your car doesn't need it. It's not a Supra or a Lexus or a Beemer or a Porsche. Just get over it.
Old 03-03-2006, 12:05 PM   #45
AutoTech1

Quote:
Originally Posted by swng
I would check it out with the dealership first to see if adding this kind of additive to the gas will void the warranty .
It won't void the warranty. Sure, you can use a higher octane, but you'll void common sense, if you void anything...
Old 03-03-2006, 12:21 PM   #46
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

So you've done tests with it? If so, where is your data? If not, you can't possibly know if it does something or not.
Old 03-03-2006, 07:32 PM   #47
swng

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoTech1
It won't void the warranty. Sure, you can use a higher octane, but you'll void common sense, if you void anything...
I was talking about whether adding acetone to the gasoline(not about using higher octane gas) could void the car's warranty. Yariman seems to agree that this is a reasonable concern(thanks Yariman). I think it is common sense that putting uncommon additives into the gasoline may void the warranty.
Old 03-03-2006, 10:03 PM   #48
AutoTech1

Quote:
So you've done tests with it? If so, where is your data? If not, you can't possibly know if it does something or not.
Sorry. I thought you were asking about octane still.

As with acetone, it makes perfect sense, but I have never tested it, so I can't say that it does/doesn't work... But how it was explained, it sounded like it'd work.
Old 03-03-2006, 11:25 PM   #49
Adriaan
In between cities

Drives: 2006 yaris ce
from experince with previous cars i've only used 91 octane on long distance drives and there you do see a difference, since the long drive cleans out the car the high octane help also. with my paseo normal gas i got abot 400km and with 91 octane 430km. for my corolla 440km normal 465 km 91 octane. I'll see when i make that trip to toronto in the spring.
Adriaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 01:29 AM   #50
swng

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriaan
from experince with previous cars i've only used 91 octane on long distance drives and there you do see a difference, since the long drive cleans out the car the high octane help also. with my paseo normal gas i got abot 400km and with 91 octane 430km. for my corolla 440km normal 465 km 91 octane. I'll see when i make that trip to toronto in the spring.
How about this? New cars benefit little from higher than user's manual specified octane no. but old cars benefit more. In my experience, new cars do not knock/misfire often(knocking will automatically result in low efficiency). Old and badly maintained cars knock more often and so they stand to benefit from higher octane no. fuel.
Old 03-04-2006, 09:53 AM   #51
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoTech1
Sorry. I thought you were asking about octane still.

As with acetone, it makes perfect sense, but I have never tested it, so I can't say that it does/doesn't work... But how it was explained, it sounded like it'd work.
lol, ok.
Old 03-04-2006, 01:59 PM   #52
AutoTech1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriaan

That doesn't mean anything. Many things could have altered your gas mileage... Like how you drove the car the first time compared to how you drove it the second time. You might have been going slower, and burned less gas. The other time you might have been going faster and burned more gas. And that is a likely thing to do, if your repeating the same route, since you know where to go. Hey... If you think you can prove me wrong though, keep trying. But you won't go no where.
Old 03-04-2006, 02:03 PM   #53
AutoTech1

Quote:
Originally Posted by swng
How about this? New cars benefit little from higher than user's manual specified octane no. but old cars benefit more. In my experience, new cars do not knock/misfire often(knocking will automatically result in low efficiency). Old and badly maintained cars knock more often and so they stand to benefit from higher octane no. fuel.
I would never use a higher octane on a older car... Again, you're just wasting your money... Either get a tune-up (which should target or solve the problem) or get a newer model year car. Engine's wear... Timing changes, rings wear, aluminum parts break down so on and so forth. That knocking is most likely a result of a car that's gone bad after years.
Old 03-04-2006, 02:16 PM   #54
ToTo

Drives: Toyota Yaris T SPORT
Acetone only destroys rubber, hoses and perhpas plastics, can it harm the engine or other parts itself?