Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-19-2013, 09:20 PM   #1
YarYarBinks

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris LB
Send a message via AIM to YarYarBinks
Question Humming sound driving 30+ mph

When I drive my front tires start making a humming sound, like truck tires make. It starts at 30mph and gets noticeably louder up to high way speeds. My tires aren't completely worn nor do they seem like they are wearing unevenly. They have about 35k on them. It started when I drove on a road that was a little rougher than normal. It was a freeway changing to different styles of pavement. I might have them rotate the. And see if it remedies this. It gets louder when I turn either way. Any advice? Thanks
YarYarBinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 09:36 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarYarBinks View Post
When I drive my front tires start making a humming sound, like truck tires make. It starts at 30mph and gets noticeably louder up to high way speeds. My tires aren't completely worn nor do they seem like they are wearing unevenly. They have about 35k on them. It started when I drove on a road that was a little rougher than normal. It was a freeway changing to different styles of pavement. I might have them rotate the. And see if it remedies this. It gets louder when I turn either way. Any advice? Thanks
Check the tires to see if something stuck in one of the tires, or if one of them popped an egg-like bump on the tread surface.
Old 12-19-2013, 10:48 PM   #3
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Check the tires to see if something stuck in one of the tires, or if one of them popped an egg-like bump on the tread surface.
Could it be the front wheel bearings (if it's not the above) ? The scenario he describes sounds similar to what I was hearing at about 110k. I was told the front wheel bearings needed to be replaced. I had them replaced, and the sound disappeared.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 11:18 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
Could it be the front wheel bearings (if it's not the above) ? The scenario he describes sounds similar to what I was hearing at about 110k. I was told the front wheel bearings needed to be replaced. I had them replaced, and the sound disappeared.
Wheel bearing are a possibility as well. Although with them the noise typically doesn't start all of the sudden.
Old 12-20-2013, 05:08 AM   #5
YarYarBinks

Okay I'll take a look. I've been driving in them like this since the end of November. No problems so far. My car has never had a misalignment issue. And my alignment so far is still good. I hope it's not a wheel bearing. Do I need to check all four corners or just the front where the noise is coming from. In march I had planned on buying new tires after I get my tax refund. So if I need new tires it has to wait till then.
Old 12-20-2013, 06:13 AM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

For checking the tire surface, you can just do that with your hands. Check what is accessible and then roll the car a foot and check the rest.

For the wheel bearings, usually it is just one that fails at a time, so you should be able to locate it to one corner and it it doesn't appear to be a tire issue, jack the front up, put the car in neutral with the ebrake on, and rotate and wiggle the side in question.
Old 12-20-2013, 04:44 PM   #7
YarYarBinks

Alright there is nothing wrong with the tires. The wheel makes a slight grind sound when I spin it though.i think it's the wheel bearing. With the holidays coming up and me not having cash till next Friday would it be safe to drive it a minimal amount. I don't feel anything in the steering wheel. This is my only vehicle.
Old 12-20-2013, 05:44 PM   #8
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Alright there is nothing wrong with the tires. The wheel makes a slight grind sound when I spin it though.i think it's the wheel bearing. With the holidays coming up and me not having cash till next Friday would it be safe to drive it a minimal amount. I don't feel anything in the steering wheel. This is my only vehicle.
It will probably be OK for a while. The thing you have to watch out for is damaging the axle or the hub with driving on a bad bearing.
Old 12-20-2013, 05:49 PM   #9
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
During the repair visit that ended in the front wheel bearing replacement, I asked what the worst case scenario would be if I waited (I just wanted to see what they would say...if it would be safe to 'milk a few more miles' out of the original bearings). I was told that it could cause the whole housing (see the pics the barber posted when he moved (selling OEM parts he had) for what the whole housing looks like) to dismount from its proper mounting and wheel would move 'like jello' (or worse) in the wheel well. I don't know how strong the likelihood of that happening was, but I didn't want to tempt fate...so I had the front bearings replaced and the sound disappeared.
Old 12-20-2013, 05:55 PM   #10
nookandcrannycar

^^^^^ I was going to include something about 'CTScott would know about the safety aspect' in my reply above, but I didn't want to put him on the spot re answering a safety question (I saw CTScott's reply for the first time after my post above)
Old 12-21-2013, 11:46 AM   #11
YarYarBinks

Thumbs up

K got a appointment for Monday. Was quoted $275 worse case scenario for one wheel. I just want to get it fixed the place I chose is okay, not as spendy as dealer but they offer in house financing or 90 days same as cash.they also do breaks and tires. Place is called Les Shwab it's popular in the northwest. I trust their brake and suspension work/prices but will never buy tires from them. Way too overpriced. I'll let you know what happens so others can have input on this issue. Thank you guys for your help. I couldn't ask for a better place for information on my car.
Old 12-24-2013, 09:28 AM   #12
YarYarBinks

K I got it fixed. It was the wheel bearing. It cost $240. Not that bad. Went to les schwab. They fixed it in 3 hours which was great. Thank you for your help.
Old 12-24-2013, 08:33 PM   #13
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
K I got it fixed. It was the wheel bearing. It cost $240. Not that bad. Went to les schwab. They fixed it in 3 hours which was great. Thank you for your help.
Great. Good to know you now have peace of mind. Please post back in a couple of months and let us know if you have any issues or if (in a few months) you have no issues at all re this repair. If this works out well for you, I''m going to (if I ever need this repair again) ask the shop to justify why both front wheels (or both rear wheels for that matter) would need to be done.