Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-12-2009, 07:22 AM   #37
yarstar

Drives: 2008 Absolute Red HB
Great thread here guys. Thanks for all the hard work on this. I'll be watching anxiously, and trying to find a good deal on a cluster too.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:30 PM   #38
goku87

Drives: Black HB
Exclamation SO I FIGURED IT OUT!!!! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

I'm not a big fan of patience. So instead of waiting for someone to figure this out, I decided to call the dealership and see what they had to say.

There is no way to transfer the milage between gauge clusters. They have to have both clusters, verify the old milage, load it into the new cluster, and then notarize it to make it legit.

And as for the random swap that worked, they guy said the new cluster might have had a similar milage to the one that was removed.

Cool Beans.
goku87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 12:41 PM   #39
DevilGirl

Drives: 09 3dr LB MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by goku87 View Post
There is no way to transfer the milage between gauge clusters. They have to have both clusters, verify the old milage, load it into the new cluster, and then notarize it to make it legit.
Did they quote a price on it? I'm interested in having an OEM looking cluster with a tach. (I still say it should have been there with the MT!)

Car bought 8/7/09. Now over 89k miles of trouble free driving, other than user error!!
DevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 01:02 PM   #40
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Quote:
I'm not a big fan of patience. So instead of waiting for someone to figure this out, I decided to call the dealership and see what they had to say.

And as for the random swap that worked, they guy said the new cluster might have had a similar milage to the one that was removed.

Cool Beans.
usually, dealers should not even be allowed to temper with the cluster. I've seen cars that have had the cluster swapped by the dealer... (it was a honda actually) and they simply put a sticker in the engine bay confirming the car's mileage before the ODO was brought back to 0.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 01:03 PM   #41
goku87

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilGirl View Post
Did they quote a price on it? I'm interested in having an OEM looking cluster with a tach. (I still say it should have been there with the MT!)
I didn't think to ask until right when I hung up. I'd call them back but I had to go through like three different people to talk to the person I needed to talk to lol.

That and I'm still kinda pissed off about the shoddy job they did on my car and tried to charge me out the @$$ for it.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:06 PM   #42
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:

Cool Beans.

Very good. I was beginning to think that maybe the successful mileage update was urban legend...
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 01:08 PM   #43
Lewis
Our off road vehicle

Drives: 2009 Yaris 3dr
yes CT- it's hard sometimes to say I failed at what I was trying to accomplish on these forums.
Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 02:00 PM   #44
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
yes CT- it's hard sometimes to say I failed at what I was trying to accomplish on these forums.
I'm not ready to give up yet. This is just more data. Sometimes you have to debunk all of the myths before you can work towards a real solution. The dealer saying that they can do it is good news. After running into that bulletin I started thinking that this may be a factory only fix.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:12 PM   #45
Lewis
Our off road vehicle

well first CT I need to find a cluster- been searching the net all day to no avail.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:19 PM   #46
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
well first CT I need to find a cluster- been searching the net all day to no avail.
I bet there's not too many floating around. If you think about how few Ss there are vs. regulars, there can't be too many in junk yards.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:57 PM   #47
Lewis
Our off road vehicle

scare as hens teeth from what i've seen- many yards THINK they have it until they double check

odd thing is there are scads of the ones with just speedos

lots of youngsters totalling their cars from the photos the yards run

.....and it'll be a cold day in hell when i'll pay 420 for a new cluster

to be precise it'd be a cold evening(s) in the guest room if my wife discovered i paid 420 for the cluster!
Old 08-12-2009, 05:26 PM   #48
MGargano

Drives: 2009 Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilGirl View Post
When I called my local dealer about a month ago looking for this, they said either $520 or $570
MGargano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 05:31 PM   #49
mikenacarato
SIPNDEW

Drives: 15 STI
Send a message via AIM to mikenacarato
man you guys are getting ripped off! But then again im so used to ordering stuff through my company and our account with our local dealer really helps a lot. either way they told me they could reprogram the mileage for a programming fee and thats all. i just dont have the spare cash for a programming fee just yet. but ive clocked 2500 miles on this new cluster with no issues.
mikenacarato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 11:23 PM   #50
goku87

Okay, I've got some good news and some bad news...

Basically, I misunderstood when the dealership said "they could reprogram it." What they should have said was "we send it off to be reprogrammed."

The good news is that at least I got more info...

Scott, what info have you gotten so far about the factory reprogramming the cluster? Did you say something about they just tell it to be ready to pull the milage from whatever it's hooked up to next time it is turned on?
Old 08-26-2009, 11:30 PM   #51
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
I wonder why programming can't be accomplished in Techstream?
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 11:39 PM   #52
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Goku87, so far I don't have any solid info. I am looking into purchasing a Chinese clone of the techstream VIM for $1500. I believe, based on Mike's dealer's response, that it can be done using techstream.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:00 AM   #53
goku87

jebus that is a lot of $$$
Old 08-27-2009, 09:45 PM   #54
CTScott
ULTIMATE

It is indeed, but it is a whole lot less than $7,500 for the real Toyota one. My interest in it is to "sniff" its communication when doing various things to the ECM or other ECU's. This would allow me to build inexpensive modules to allow others to do those same tasks. It also has the ability to flash the ECM. Sniffing that process is the key to cracking the ECM.