Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-22-2009, 06:54 PM   #1
Aquahiker
I've made a post!

Drives: 2009 Silver Yaris AKA Yoda
Red face Yaris Towing 1000 lbs?

Hi,

I did some searches on the forum and there's been various discussions regarding the Yaris towing up to 700lbs (for Canada). I was wondering how a company like Curt can market something for the Yaris that can hitch 2,000 lbs trailer weight and 200 lbs tongue weight:

CLASS 1 & 2 HITCH
Product: 11050

I was thinking about getting this trailer which is about 1100 lbs:

http://www.aliner.com/design/Xterior...did=4&sectid=5

But it looks like I might have to get something much smaller like this one at 450 lbs:

http://www.aliner.com/design/Xterior...did=6&sectid=5

What do you guys think?

George
Aquahiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 07:04 PM   #2
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
i think i wouldnt pull anything w/ the yaris

but if you do go that way, get a small, light trailer...
Old 01-30-2009, 07:40 PM   #3
twowheels

Drives: '09 Meteorite Metallic 3 dr MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarber View Post
i think i wouldnt pull anything w/ the yaris

but if you do go that way, get a small, light trailer...
I've pulled a ~170 lb brick saw home from a rental place, over hilly terrain, on a trailer behind my bicycle once. If I could do that, I can't see why the Yaris with far more power and weight couldn't pull the 700 or so lbs that the Canadian cars are rated for.

Pictures and description of my bicycle towing here:
http://twowheels.us/blog/?p=112

The trailer is usually used for towing my ~80 lb kayak:
http://twowheels.us/blog/?p=41
http://twowheels.us/blog/?p=47
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 07:04 PM   #4
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
With the way all other towing question threads go, this is bound to get nasty real quick. I have that Curt hitch on my HB and have only used it for a bike rack. I do have a small 350 lb utility trailer that I would feel comfortable pulling if I had to.

Most discussion end up focusing on the capability of the engine and tranny to deal with the weight of a trailer. One other thing that needs to be considered as well is that these hitches bolt to the transportation tie-downs in the rear of the vehicle. That is not much of a mounting point to deal with the stresses of pulling any kind of load.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:27 PM   #5
Sodium Duck
╚══════════RN

Drives: 2008 Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Sodium Duck
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
One other thing that needs to be considered as well is that these hitches bolt to the transportation tie-downs in the rear of the vehicle.
What? No it doesn't. You remove two of the bolts that the bumper attaches to and replace it with beefier longer bolts. Reference my install thread:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21071

And seriously, if you don't have a trailer hitch installed on your Yaris, then stop posting all your legal, read the manual it says not to, go get a truck baloney. I tow a 4' X 4' trailer every weekend loaded up with my trash. It equals the weight of two adults in my back seat. I can't even tell its back there -- even when I had a Christmas tree on it, 2 heavy trash bags, all my recycling, and bins.

The car tows fine, just like any other small passenger car in America. There is no reason why anyone can't tow with a Yaris -- just because the manual says you can't isn't a valid reason. My mommy and daddy say I shouldn't drink beer, either.

As far as towing 1,100 lbs? Come on, don't be dumb. That's why people start posting all this legal crap. In my own REAL LIFE EXPERIENCES towing with this vehicle, I wouldn't feel comfortable towing more than 500 lbs. total weight. That's just me though.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:59 PM   #6
Banned

Drives: '10 Yaris5drHB+99 4runner LTD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodium Duck View Post
What? No it doesn't. You remove two of the bolts that the bumper attaches to and replace it with beefier longer bolts. Reference my install thread:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21071

And seriously, if you don't have a trailer hitch installed on your Yaris, then stop posting all your legal, read the manual it says not to, go get a truck baloney. I tow a 4' X 4' trailer every weekend loaded up with my trash. It equals the weight of two adults in my back seat. I can't even tell its back there -- even when I had a Christmas tree on it, 2 heavy trash bags, all my recycling, and bins.

The car tows fine, just like any other small passenger car in America. There is no reason why anyone can't tow with a Yaris -- just because the manual says you can't isn't a valid reason. My mommy and daddy say I shouldn't drink beer, either.

As far as towing 1,100 lbs? Come on, don't be dumb. That's why people start posting all this legal crap. In my own REAL LIFE EXPERIENCES towing with this vehicle, I wouldn't feel comfortable towing more than 500 lbs. total weight. That's just me though.
The Yaris transport tie downs are in front of the back wheels. nothing on earth will ever attach there once the Yaris is off the boat.

maybe the Draw Tite hitch is a more convoluted install requiring bumper removal....

the Curt 11050 hitch does not attach to bumper bolts nor require any bumper removal. just pop open 2 bumper clips, bend one unused metal tab, and it bolts onto the tow hook holes (also these are used as post-delivery tie-downs) on both sides. pretty sano install, and if you ever need to be towed or pulled out of a ditch, the hitch itself it what they will yank on.

and I agree with the 500lb part. no matter what you stick back there the Yaris steering rack, rods, balls and also brakes
can only do so much
127.0.0.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 10:24 PM   #7
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquahiker View Post
Hi,

I did some searches on the forum and there's been various discussions regarding the Yaris towing up to 700lbs (for Canada). I was wondering how a company like Curt can market something for the Yaris that can hitch 2,000 lbs trailer weight and 200 lbs tongue weight:

CLASS 1 & 2 HITCH
Product: 11050

http://www.aliner.com/design/Xterior...did=4&sectid=5

But it looks like I might have to get something much smaller like this one at 450 lbs:

http://www.aliner.com/design/Xterior...did=6&sectid=5

What do you guys think?

George
Hitches are rated based on their construction. The rating (class 1 through 5) is purely for the hitch and not for the vehicle. Vehicle manufacturers separately rate the towing capability (or lack thereof) of the vehicle.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 10:54 PM   #8
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
I read in the manual somewhere a while back that the maximum load for the Y is around 800 something lbs. Might have even been 850. Makes sense considering that smaller cars aren't meant to haul anything. With that said I wouldn't risk bending the frame. A truck would do a better job

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 12:17 AM   #9
fmicle

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBack View Post
A truck would do a better job
Oh really? Who would have thought?
Old 01-23-2009, 10:16 AM   #10
SailDesign

Drives: .
Here's an article about towing (written by an xB owner) - it even mentions the Yaris. Look at the rest of the world, and read this. Then decide...

The Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
By Paul Niedermeyer
February 23, 2008 -

“Scion does not recommend towing a trailer… your vehicle was not designed for towing." Welcome to the great American anti-towing conspiracy. Manufacturers of anything less than a big SUV or pick-up are trying to take away our God-given right to tow with our cars. For a guy who’s towed everything from a Radio Flyer wagon behind a pedal-powered John Deere sidewalk tractor, to a three-bedroom house, I feel like I’m being singled out. Of course, there’s a possibility that I’m the cause as well as the target of this jihad. A lot of lawyers do drive the Ventura Freeway, and one of them may well have seen my spectacular stunt with a trailer.

Before I recount the creative maneuver with which I simultaneously occupied all four lanes of “the world’s busiest freeway” at sixty-five mph, let’s look at the prejudice American would-be towers are up against …

On Toyota’s UK website, the Yaris is credited with a towing capacity of 1050kg/2315lbs. That’s right in line with the old rule of thumb that a car can safely tow an amount equal to its own weight.

But here in the land of the (not so) free, the Yaris’ owner’s manual admonishes: “Toyota does not recommend towing a trailer with your vehicle.” The unnamed author goes on to give a partial pass to our northern neighbors: “In Canada only, total weight of cargo and trailer not to exceed 700lbs.” Please leave your trailers at the border? Perhaps this partial exemption reflects Canada’s status as being somewhere between English and American. But the logic is lost on me.

Maybe it’s a blatant tactic by Toyota to meet Tundra sales goals, by forcing us tow-heads into buying that over-achieving tug (rated for 10,000+lbs). But Honda is in on the conspiracy too. The CRV weighs 3600lbs and offers 166hp, about the same as an old gen Explorer. In Europe, where folks often buy CUV’s specifically for their towing capacity, the CRV is rated to tow 2000kg/4400lbs. And in the tow-aphobic US? A measly 1500lbs!

It wasn’t always like this. In the sixties, you’d see 40hp VW Beetles pulling a trailer. In 1976, my VW Beetle died in Ohio heading back to Iowa, so we left it and hitch-hiked the rest of the way. My girlfriend’s Mom was driving a 70hp Corolla, which was rated to tow 1800lbs, exactly the weight of my VW. She generously offered it. Towing the Bug home, the Corolla never broke a sweat.

Which I can’t say for myself when I nearly shut down the 101.

It was 1986. We had just bought our first house, in Woodland Hills. I rented a big double-axle twelve-foot trailer to haul debris and junk to the dump. My Mexican helper was a zealous worker, loading lots of broken concrete into the back end of the trailer. I remember glancing at the warning sign about having 60 percent of the weight ahead of the axles. But any fleeting thought of relevancy or concern was quickly overpowered by the testosterone-fueled urge to PULL!

That trailer must have weighed about three times as much as the Jeep Cherokee tug. I managed to squeeze into the perpetually crowded Ventura freeway.

When our rig (finally) hit 65 in the right lane, the trailer began oscillating, which escalated exponentially. The next thing I knew, the Jeep was being swung wildly from side to side, like the tail on a dog. One moment, we were facing towards the shoulder, then across all the lanes facing the center divider. The Jeep was utterly out of control; there was nothing to do but hang on for dear life, waiting for the fishtailing trailer to roll and/or get creamed by the four lanes of traffic behind us.

Fortunately, the other drivers (and that corporate attorney) were on the ball and held back, in awe of our mad gyrations. When enough speed was scrubbed off and stability resumed, we found ourselves in the narrow left shoulder, where we sat bathed in sweat.

I had no choice but to steel myself, get back in the traffic, and fight my way across four lanes while keeping the speed below fifty. When we finally pulled off on the right shoulder, my ashen-faced helper tumbled out, got on his knees and crossed himself, before we started re-arranging the trailer’s load.

Having learned that cardinal lesson of towing, I’m a hair more cautious now. But I still believe that cars, by their nature, are “designed for towing.” So I always carry a tow rope in the old Ford pick-up instead of an AAA card. More than once, Stephanie has schlepped me home with the Forester. I don’t even want to know what its tow rating is; it’s survived just fine. And I’ve found an after-market hitch for the xB, rated for 2000lbs.
SailDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 03:47 PM   #11
JimKellyfan

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
Cool great story

great story / I too, have carried way too much weight and been aboard friends that have done the same and once heard a leaf spring go cling clang as we turned the corner in his van with construction equipment for everything. I carried 68 doors thru an ice storm on a pickup meant for 32 doors, but hey, its ice, make one trip, not two.
I have towed about 2200 pounds with my Yaris, and nope, didn't like it, but did it. Just go slow.
I regularly tow the garbage to the dump in mine, and occasionally the oddity like 5 sliding door panels laid flat n hopin not to break the glass, etc and so on.
Gonna get me a boat soon, and while I will tow down the road, I will limit the slopes as to what my car drops in the water, so as to not get pulled back in, LOL.
But, my car tows up to 700 comfortably. 700-1200 a bit more tasked but still gets the job done. 1200-2200 very tasked and asking for tranny troubles in my mind. But, can get the job done, especially on more level terrain.
I will be gettin a hitch for the Camry, for the heavier duty or steeper inclined tasks as that has 268 HP to our 105-125 pending upgrades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailDesign View Post
Here's an article about towing (written by an xB owner) - it even mentions the Yaris. Look at the rest of the world, and read this. Then decide...

The Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
By Paul Niedermeyer
February 23, 2008 -

“Scion does not recommend towing a trailer… your vehicle was not designed for towing." Welcome to the great American anti-towing conspiracy. Manufacturers of anything less than a big SUV or pick-up are trying to take away our God-given right to tow with our cars. For a guy who’s towed everything from a Radio Flyer wagon behind a pedal-powered John Deere sidewalk tractor, to a three-bedroom house, I feel like I’m being singled out. Of course, there’s a possibility that I’m the cause as well as the target of this jihad. A lot of lawyers do drive the Ventura Freeway, and one of them may well have seen my spectacular stunt with a trailer.

Before I recount the creative maneuver with which I simultaneously occupied all four lanes of “the world’s busiest freeway” at sixty-five mph, let’s look at the prejudice American would-be towers are up against …

On Toyota’s UK website, the Yaris is credited with a towing capacity of 1050kg/2315lbs. That’s right in line with the old rule of thumb that a car can safely tow an amount equal to its own weight.

But here in the land of the (not so) free, the Yaris’ owner’s manual admonishes: “Toyota does not recommend towing a trailer with your vehicle.” The unnamed author goes on to give a partial pass to our northern neighbors: “In Canada only, total weight of cargo and trailer not to exceed 700lbs.” Please leave your trailers at the border? Perhaps this partial exemption reflects Canada’s status as being somewhere between English and American. But the logic is lost on me.

Maybe it’s a blatant tactic by Toyota to meet Tundra sales goals, by forcing us tow-heads into buying that over-achieving tug (rated for 10,000+lbs). But Honda is in on the conspiracy too. The CRV weighs 3600lbs and offers 166hp, about the same as an old gen Explorer. In Europe, where folks often buy CUV’s specifically for their towing capacity, the CRV is rated to tow 2000kg/4400lbs. And in the tow-aphobic US? A measly 1500lbs!

It wasn’t always like this. In the sixties, you’d see 40hp VW Beetles pulling a trailer. In 1976, my VW Beetle died in Ohio heading back to Iowa, so we left it and hitch-hiked the rest of the way. My girlfriend’s Mom was driving a 70hp Corolla, which was rated to tow 1800lbs, exactly the weight of my VW. She generously offered it. Towing the Bug home, the Corolla never broke a sweat.

Which I can’t say for myself when I nearly shut down the 101.

It was 1986. We had just bought our first house, in Woodland Hills. I rented a big double-axle twelve-foot trailer to haul debris and junk to the dump. My Mexican helper was a zealous worker, loading lots of broken concrete into the back end of the trailer. I remember glancing at the warning sign about having 60 percent of the weight ahead of the axles. But any fleeting thought of relevancy or concern was quickly overpowered by the testosterone-fueled urge to PULL!

That trailer must have weighed about three times as much as the Jeep Cherokee tug. I managed to squeeze into the perpetually crowded Ventura freeway.

When our rig (finally) hit 65 in the right lane, the trailer began oscillating, which escalated exponentially. The next thing I knew, the Jeep was being swung wildly from side to side, like the tail on a dog. One moment, we were facing towards the shoulder, then across all the lanes facing the center divider. The Jeep was utterly out of control; there was nothing to do but hang on for dear life, waiting for the fishtailing trailer to roll and/or get creamed by the four lanes of traffic behind us.

Fortunately, the other drivers (and that corporate attorney) were on the ball and held back, in awe of our mad gyrations. When enough speed was scrubbed off and stability resumed, we found ourselves in the narrow left shoulder, where we sat bathed in sweat.

I had no choice but to steel myself, get back in the traffic, and fight my way across four lanes while keeping the speed below fifty. When we finally pulled off on the right shoulder, my ashen-faced helper tumbled out, got on his knees and crossed himself, before we started re-arranging the trailer’s load.

Having learned that cardinal lesson of towing, I’m a hair more cautious now. But I still believe that cars, by their nature, are “designed for towing.” So I always carry a tow rope in the old Ford pick-up instead of an AAA card. More than once, Stephanie has schlepped me home with the Forester. I don’t even want to know what its tow rating is; it’s survived just fine. And I’ve found an after-market hitch for the xB, rated for 2000lbs.
2010 Yaris sedan, TRD CAT back (sport muffler only, really), OBX header (relocated front AF sensor to front pipe), OBX throttle plate spacer, K&N filter (in stock air box-for now), TRD struts and shocks, Mexico Rough Road Springs x 4, new Yota sway bar links front, slotted/drilled rotors and Maxx brakes front, Valvoline synthetic brake fluid, 3M undercoated, 16" Konig Feathers Michelin Pilot Sport AS 3 + Tires
TRD rear sway bar, 4 GT Spec bars including: front strut brace 2 point, 4 point ladder brace, mid chassis brace and rear lower tie brace, rear hitch, [B]
JimKellyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 06:08 PM   #12
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquahiker View Post

What do you guys think?

George
A lot depends on your plans for the trailer. 25 miles to the lake is one thing, 2,500 miles across the country is another. The terrain needs to be considered also. The flat land might be ok with the Yaris, however, a 7% grade is another.

Since you asked, I would get a later model used truck or SUV to pull a trailer. Then I would get a used trailer. The cost of this combination would be about the same for your new trailer. Plus you would have a spare vehicle. The trailer you are looking at is cute, however most people I know usually get a bigger one in a few years. My wife and I spend 30 nights a year in our trailer.

Happy camping.
Old 01-30-2009, 04:42 PM   #13
POORSHA

Drives: 2008 LB
I use a trailer I got from Harbor frieght. I have found it great for Home Depot runs.http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=90153
Attached Images

POORSHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 02:43 PM   #14
attickt

Drives: 2009 toyota yaris S/JDM Vitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by POORSHA View Post
I use a trailer I got from Harbor frieght. I have found it great for Home Depot runs.http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=90153
you fail sir that is a lowes truck behind you.

yaris+induction= baby supra!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brg88tx View Post
i can just hear the rednecks behind me grumbling "g-damn fag car" before they pass me.
attickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 06:13 PM   #15
07 flint mica

Drives: 07 sedan.04 2500hd,10 mazda3
The most I would consider towing with my yaris is 500 lbs. Anything after that would be considered unsafe.
07 flint mica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 06:55 PM   #16
Idahotom

Drives: 2008 5 sp. LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by POORSHA View Post
While that is a reasonable load for the Yaris to haul, making your child ride back there is probably not a good idea. I think it says that somewhere in the owners guide. At the very least, get a seatbelt back there. Remember, safety first!
Idahotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 07:16 PM   #17
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
That's cute!!
Old 01-30-2009, 09:40 PM   #18
OK Yaris

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemelek View Post
That's cute!!
Gee, nobody ever called my tow rig, "cute"......

CTScott provided an excellent answer to the original hitch question. The Curt hitch would be a good choice, even if you never plan to hitch a heavy load to it.
Attached Images

OK Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote