Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-07-2009, 08:27 PM   #1
jonismyname

Drives: 08 liftback 5spd
BIG driving lights.... how?

i want driving lights. well, i have driving lights, mounted hanging from the upper lip of the lower grill. this is too low. i also used smaller rectangular lamps in my attempt to keep it small. i don't like those.

i want 7" lamps. big gawdy ones that light things up. hella makes some great 7" driving lights, and even a few very nice 4" or so setups.

has anyone ever mounted these on a yaris? other than the rally car with a specific molded piece above the grill?

has anyone deeply considered modifying the grill, to recess a set of wonderful driving lights?

the problems i see-
-weak mounting (bumper cover material) due to the constant slope of the front end

- anything will stick up and out

light enough lamps should be okay with the mounting issue... my smaller maps have no issue..

but the sticking out too far thing, i don't quite know how to fix that.

im thinking, new grill, cut holes, mount less huge lamps inside the grill? or at least 1/2 way into it so they're sitting behind a bit? then i could mount to the actual bumper?

HB grill for $28- http://www2.partstrain.com/basket.ph...9920733-853290

any idea's?

i also have other options- projector driving lights that are ultra small
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...rt=GTE-64631-5
maybe with a HID kit down the road?

or i could go with depo headlamps with a HID kit?

i just dig big bright lights, and do a fair amount of back road driving (deer season...)
jonismyname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 08:34 PM   #2
jinxor

Drives: Yaris 3dr YRS
Architect is running depo with hid's... there is a thread about it.... have a search...
More light can be taken from the fogs with hid... so, if you have projectors with hid and fog with hid... I guess that would be a lot of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by kustom play View Post
they look in and i tell them "come on man, its stock, its slow, look its ricy as fuck, look at the fur, im a ricer man"
jinxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 11:36 PM   #3
kenkyd
kanye

Drives: 11 Corolla S
Send a message via AIM to kenkyd
i just saw a yaris here in buf that had 2 (probably 5 or 6 inch) hella spot lights in front of grill. didnt stop and look how he mounted them though. i mounted them on the bumper frame on my last car.
kenkyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 03:46 PM   #4
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
i don't know man... when you say you want big light... i think of this:

is it all that necessary ? i don't think you are supposed to use them in town... It might be understanding if you lived in rural areas (see farms), but then... is this a must ?
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 04:15 PM   #5
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Its too much? A tow hook isn't too much? LOL

DOOOO ITTTTTT.

I think my favorite member Yaris T Sport has them. Might be wrong though.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 04:58 PM   #6
SailDesign

Drives: .
This was my old VW Fox - I still want to do something like this, but am not doing a thing until I can figure out how to do it RIGHT.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Foxsmall.jpg (78.4 KB, 599 views)
SailDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 10:17 PM   #7
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
i don't know man... when you say you want big light... i think of this:

is it all that necessary ? i don't think you are supposed to use them in town... It might be understanding if you lived in rural areas (see farms), but then... is this a must ?
Sorry, I can't stop laughing.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 12:52 AM   #8
AlainMikli

Drives: ings 09 Yaris 3 Door LiftBack
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris-me View Post
Sorry, I can't stop laughing.
AlainMikli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 12:55 AM   #9
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
spider
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 08:28 PM   #10
frownonfun

Drives: 09 Yaris HB, 08 SR5 Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailDesign View Post
This was my old VW Fox - I still want to do something like this, but am not doing a thing until I can figure out how to do it RIGHT.
i think a couple small lights like that would look nice... i'm thinking of constructing a small rally bar coming up from under the front bumper to mount the lights on. just gotta find some place under the car to mount the bar.

I crush you like tiny clown car, because you are clown, yes?
frownonfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 03:55 PM   #11
Prohibit
Verbieten Sie

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Prohibit Send a message via MSN to Prohibit Send a message via Yahoo to Prohibit
If he wants 50 of them on front of the yaris, more power to him.

Hatchback Purist? Be sure to drop in and register. New forum with a great clean design and potential.
Prohibit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 05:47 PM   #12
jonismyname

resurecting this thread, was googling for ideas when i found my own thread lol!

still trying to figure this out, had a set of lights mounted in the lower grill for a bit but got rid of them.

fall makes me want more light... i'm petrified of deer and drive too fast for conditions from to time... and i'm a light dweeb.

any new idea's? i think i'm still looking at cutting into grill... i can't think of any other way?

i like bigger reflectors as i feel they make better light...
Old 09-28-2010, 08:20 PM   #13
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
I need to do something similar with Crashy to get light over the plow. When I get around to chopping her top, they'll be mounted to the roll cage. Until then I was thinking about a roof bar, like just the front section of a roof rack.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 09:15 PM   #14
jonismyname

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
I need to do something similar with Crashy to get light over the plow. When I get around to chopping her top, they'll be mounted to the roll cage. Until then I was thinking about a roof bar, like just the front section of a roof rack.
PAR36 bulbs and housings would be perfect for something like that on a budget. sealed beam bulbs are cheap, buy/mount one cheap housing and swap bulbs as you like. rubber housings are about 8 bucks, bulbs 8-10 each from led's to floods to 100w airplane landing lights. lots of options.

i've concluded the only way i can make it work is to mount them in the front grille. i'd need to find a hosing that can mount flush to the front of the grill and cover the holes i'd need to cut. only problem is i'd have to way to aim or adjust the beams...
Old 09-28-2010, 09:29 PM   #15
TickleTimeTim
Free Mustache Rides

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
do like i plan on doing, mount the lights to the back of the car facing behind you, so when all those idiots think it's a good idea to ride up on your butt at night, you hit the lights!...probably not safe, but still thinking about it
Old 09-28-2010, 09:42 PM   #16
jonismyname

i've actually been planning on adding a par36 or smaller bulb flush mount into my bumper to act as an extra backup light, with a override switch to turn it on as a work light... so i can see my snowshoes or ski's when im taking them off after a trip and loading them in the car. i think that would work....
Old 09-28-2010, 09:44 PM   #17
jonismyname

^this guy has the idea for backup lights... these are 44 series led's though....

i'm also pondering adding round or oval led's (see above) inside my back window on the bottom of the frame, and plugging them into my trailer harness (in car) as secondary stop/tail/turn lights.

i really like lights. you should see my motorcycle...
Old 09-28-2010, 10:09 PM   #18
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonismyname View Post
PAR36 bulbs and housings would be perfect for something like that on a budget. sealed beam bulbs are cheap, buy/mount one cheap housing and swap bulbs as you like. rubber housings are about 8 bucks, bulbs 8-10 each from led's to floods to 100w airplane landing lights. lots of options.

i've concluded the only way i can make it work is to mount them in the front grille. i'd need to find a hosing that can mount flush to the front of the grill and cover the holes i'd need to cut. only problem is i'd have to way to aim or adjust the beams...
So, the grill mounting is so they are low enough to be legal for normal road use?
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote