Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-08-2009, 10:34 PM   #1
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
the next person that uses the term "slap on" in the same sentence as "turbo" needs a permaban.
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 11:23 PM   #2
mikenacarato
SIPNDEW

Drives: 15 STI
Send a message via AIM to mikenacarato
spectacle needs a permaban..........we already have enough bs on the forum as is.
mikenacarato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 01:29 AM   #3
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
but now seriously is the 1NZFE able to take a turbo without modifications without destroying it?
No one can answer that question with any certainty. I'm not sure how many different ways I can say that. I can only point at the real world data we have, me and Tamago who ran turbos on the 1.5L motor with no damage. Loss in longevity? Again, can't answer that either.

Maybe in 3-5 years, when a lot more people have tried and either succeeded or failed, the question can be answered with some data to back it up.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 05:37 PM   #4
The Spectacle

Drives: 08 BSP LB
Its a first.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:49 PM   #5
mikenacarato
SIPNDEW

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spectacle View Post
Its a first.
now like a 2nd or 3rd...
Old 06-09-2009, 05:56 PM   #6
Tamago

bench racing = real-life, knuckle-skinning experience, didn't y'all know? that's why we can "slap on" turbos and coilovers....
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:09 PM   #7
PETERPOOP

Drives: 08 white liftback
lol @ the bashing on spectacle.
PETERPOOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:07 PM   #8
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by PETERPOOP View Post
lol @ the bashing on spectacle.
you feel left out?
you nailed it sir.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:05 AM   #9
CDavis7M

Drives: 1990 Supra Turbo
I don't have any experience with a Yaris, let alone a turbo one. But, I do have a turbo supra.

Here are some of the basics that I know about Turbo cars. Please let me know if I am wrong though.
-A car with a Turbo stock will have an ECU that is set to retard timing at higher rpm / higher boost.
-Turbo cars have much lower engine compression and are better able to handle boost.
-NA cars try to achieve a Air/Fuel Ratio of about 14.7, probably richer than that at about 13-14 or less when at full throttle.
-A Turbo cars ECU is set to run at 11-12 AFR at full throttle. Running richer allows the gas to cool the piston and reduces the risk of detonation.
-Turbo cars usually have some or all of the rotating assembly forged.

So, basically, running a turbo without any modifications on an economy engine, you will detonate with AFRs around 14, even at 7psi. I hope someone before me set you guys straight but this thread looks like Honda Tech. It's just horrible.
CDavis7M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 02:15 AM   #10
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDavis7M View Post

So, basically, running a turbo without any modifications on an economy engine, you will detonate with AFRs around 14, even at 7psi. I hope someone before me set you guys straight but this thread looks like Honda Tech. It's just horrible.
guessing you missed the part where we suggested bigger injectors to help with the "stock" AFR's ?

when the car goes into open loop mode, larger injectors will provide more than enough fuel to keep boost mode cool
you nailed it sir.
Old 06-10-2009, 04:01 PM   #11
CDavis7M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
guessing you missed the part where we suggested bigger injectors to help with the "stock" AFR's ?

when the car goes into open loop mode, larger injectors will provide more than enough fuel to keep boost mode cool
This will work. But, obviously it's not the best idea. And considering the cost of a piggyback and a tune compared to the cost of a turbo, I don't see any reason to risk an engine to save a few bucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
You've clearly missed quite a bit of this discussion, you haven't played with a 1.5L Toyota motor, and your tone of disrespect (post count: 4) for some pretty knowledgable tuners is the horrible part. /rant off
I did miss some of the discussion. And sorry for the disrespect. But, calling out someone based on post count is also immature. I would expect better from a vendor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenacarato View Post
a yaris motor is quite different than a turbo supra motor..correct me if im wrong though please.
That's what I was suggesting.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:39 AM   #12
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
I hope someone before me set you guys straight...It's just horrible.
You've clearly missed quite a bit of this discussion, you haven't played with a 1.5L Toyota motor, and your tone of disrespect (post count: 4) for some pretty knowledgable tuners is the horrible part. /rant off
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 02:56 PM   #13
Split

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
someone put one of these turbos on the yaris:
http://www.compturbo.com/products/in...&product=CT340
TO4E T3/T4 Hybrid turbocharger with a 40mm Comp wheel stage 1 turbine wheel .36 Non-Port T3 turbine housing.

The Triple Ball Bearing version is only $1600. Instant 250hp at low rpm would be nice!
Split is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 03:00 PM   #14
mikenacarato
SIPNDEW

i think people forget that all cars are NOT the same.....a yaris motor is quite different than a turbo supra motor..correct me if im wrong though please.
Old 06-10-2009, 05:05 PM   #15
mikenacarato
SIPNDEW

just curious.....do you have a yaris cdavis? if not...why are you here?
Old 06-10-2009, 05:35 PM   #16
CDavis7M

yes
Old 06-10-2009, 05:40 PM   #17
mikenacarato
SIPNDEW

well welcome aboard.
Old 06-10-2009, 05:45 PM   #18
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

Drives: Audi
Send a message via AIM to Nexus1155
research is golden, if you were trying to bash him, ye lose all chance now... sorry mike lol
Nexus1155 is offline   Reply With Quote